This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Legalizing Marijuana?

edited March 2008 in Politics
So, basically, what's your opinion on the subject? Do you think marijuana should be legal? Why? What are the repercussions of making it legal? Seems like Canada is doing okay with it.

(Scott recommended this is another thread, and I really wanted to hear this debate.)

Comments

• I'm pro legalization. Here's why:

1. It's no worse for you than cigarettes or alcohol, which are already legal. Actually, if anything, pot makes you more mellow and less destructive, whereas some people become violent and destructive when drunk.

2. You should have the right to do whatever you want to your own body, provided you are fully aware of the consequences.

3. The government could regulate and tax it, providing an excellent source of additional tax revenue.

4. Smoking pot tends to lead towards eating, providing increased business to local eateries and grocery stores.

5. Legalizing it removes the black market around it, and would probably lead to reduced crime rates.

Really, for that matter, legalize ALL drugs. I might make an exception for heroin, because it's so terrible, but otherwise, I cannot think of a good reason why you shouldn't be able to poison yourself with whatever drug you want.

Now, of course, I don't mean "W00T LET'S ALL GET HIGH 24/7." These things will need regulations just like alcohol. There's no reason why we can't responsibly regulate drug use. Really.
  • 1. It's no worse for you than cigarettes or alcohol, which are already legal. Actually, if anything, pot makes you more mellow and less destructive, whereas some people become violent and destructive when drunk.
    Alcohol is actually a lot worse than marijuana. No one has accidentally died from a weed overdose.
  • edited March 2008
    If everyone was smoking pot instead of drinking, crime on a Saturday night would go like *makes hand gesture indicating a plane going into a vertical dive* that .
    It isn't any worse than tobacco but no-one has died from cancer caused by weed, possibly because no one has ever got enough of a supply to have that kind of a health problem.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If everyone was smoking pot instead of drinking, crime on a Saturday night would go like *makes hand gesture indicating a plane going into a vertical dive* that .
    It isn't any worse than tobacco but no-one has died from cancer caused by weed, possibly because no one has ever got enough of a supply to have that kind of a health problem.
    Well, I'm sure someone's lung cancer was exacerbated by weed smoking, but really, it can't be worse than a cigarette.
  • Mostly it's fine, as long as you can't smoke in public.
  • edited March 2008
    Mostly it's fine, as long as you can't smoke in public.
    Ditto to that. I like my lungs the way they are. If your rebuttal is that "cigarettes are just as bad, if not worse" then I laugh. My feelings, similar to Scott's, are that I should be able to sue people for smoking in public places. I don't want that shit they inhale going into me.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • I don't like all this talk about lowering crime rates.
  • I don't like all this talk about lowering crime rates.
    We can always make being a skateboarder illegal. That'll pump them back up.
  • I've seen two people related to me completely waste their lives with pot. It's all they live for. One works in a mail room and the other one can't hold a job. I'm glad it's illegal.
  • edited March 2008
    I think that legalizing marijuana (m'kay) would be a very bad idea, while it does not really have any negative health risks (when compared to tobacco) it would just lead to more problems.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I've seen two people related to me completely waste their lives with pot. It's all they live for. One works in a mail room and the other one can't hold a job. I'm glad it's illegal.
    That's their own decision, smoking weed didn't force it upon them. Why deny others the possibility to live their own lives with the choice of whether to use pot or not?
  • edited March 2008
    I've seen two people related to me completely waste their lives with pot. It's all they live for. One works in a mail room and the other one can't hold a job. I'm glad it's illegal.
    How would that be any different than the same people going out of their way to drink themselves stupid? You can abuse pretty much anything. Does that mean we should make everything illegal?
    Also, I'll point out that it being illegal obviously didn't stop these two people from getting it.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Seems like Canada is doing okay with it.
    I just want to point out that pot is actually in legal limbo up here right now. As we currently have a PC government who really don't like pot, but every time they make a law to make pot illegal it's found to be unconstitutional for one reason or another.
  • edited March 2008
    I've seen two people related to me completely waste their lives with pot. It's all they live for. One works in a mail room and the other one can't hold a job. I'm glad it's illegal.
    Because it being illegal definitely stopped them from ruining their lives with it.

Oh, wait.

I would conted that, if it were legal, there wouldn't be such a mystique about it. If everyone can do it, it sort of loses its rebellious appeal.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on

• I would conted that, if it were legal, there wouldn't be such a mystique about it. If everyone can do it, it sort of loses its rebellious appeal.
    Doesn't work for cigarettes and twelve year olds.
  • edited March 2008

I would conted that, if it were legal, there wouldn't be such a mystique about it. If everyone can do it, it sort of loses its rebellious appeal.
    Doesn't work for cigarettes and twelve year olds.
    Actually, this is a perfect example of what TheWhaleShark is trying to get at. 12 year olds can't buy cigarettes so they want them because they are "off-limits". No-one can buy pot so they want it because it's "off-limits".

This is why reverse psychology works, or it's close to it.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited March 2008
    Mostly it's fine, as long as you can't smoke in public.
    I was at a concert last friday night. Apparently you can smoke it in public now. Everyone there was anyway.

Legalize it, monetize it, tax it, and enjoy it. Make sure you buy stock in Funyuns, Hoho's, and Mountain Dew if it ever does get legalized.

On the down side marijuana is habit forming, I've seen it. People may not have a physical addiction to it like meth, cocaine, or alcohol, but they will feel like they need to smoke every day. Having observed this, I prefer to see stoners over drunks and junkies.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • edited March 2008
    Finally a discussion within my major on the forums.

Marijuana does, and is proven to do through research...
    In low doses:
    Short term memory damage.
    Marijuana causes joy, relaxation, anxiousness, suspicion, confusion, erratic emotions, panic, talkativeness, and shyness within people.
    It gives the user a feeling of sharper perceptions, though no evidence shows it actually enhances any.
    Time is distorted and seems slower then it is.
    Size and Distance are distorted.
    There is in increase in appetite, for the brain expresses the want to eat.
    Increase in heart rate and blood pressure.
    Dry mouth and red eyes.

The long term effects are still being studied, but known effects are...
    Lowers sperm count
    Lowers ovulation period
    Lung disease
    Possible memory damage

"Actually, if anything, pot makes you more mellow and less destructive"
    Are there any studies done of this, I would love to see some stats on "destruction" and marijuana.

Well, I'm sure someone's lung cancer was exacerbated by weed smoking, but really, it can't be worse than a cigarette.

Actually it is worse, for an avg person smoking a cigarette does not keep the toxins and smoke within their lungs for as long as a person smoking weed. This has been proven to harm the lungs more. The longer you hold the smoke and toxins in your lungs the more damage is done. Thus 1 joint does much more damage then one cigarette. Now you will say that "But people smoke more cigarettes then joints", and your right... but just don't start saying that a joint gives you less lung cancer then a cigarette, that is not even close to being correct. When both tobacco leaves and marijuana are smoked, the marijuana is worse because of the way it must be used.

"People may not have a physical addiction to it like meth, cocaine, or alcohol, but they will feel like they need to smoke every day."
    There are physical withdrawal symptoms related to weed... They are very similar to having the flu. They are not as violent as alcohol yes, but they are still prevalent and proven to exist.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • Finally a discussion within my major on the forums.
    Just curious, but what major would that be?
  • 1. It's no worse for you than cigarettes or alcohol, which are already legal. Actually, if anything, pot makes you more mellow and less destructive, whereas some people become violent and destructive when drunk.
    Alcohol is actually a lot worse than marijuana. No one has accidentally died from a weed overdose.
    I once heard a doctor say that he would rather a patient smoke pot than drink.

In my opinion, pot is still there, so you might as well legalize it. I personally like how Amsterdam goes about drugs (please correct me if I'm wrong) they give free, clean, needles, and make everything legal, and they have a far lower OD rate than the U.S.
  • On the down side marijuana is habit forming, I've seen it. People may not have a physical addiction to it like meth, cocaine, or alcohol, but they will feel like they need to smoke every day.
    It's anecdotal evidence, but it seems as if people feel the need to smoke everyday from the circumstances surrounding marijuana use, rather than the drug itself. People base their entire personalities and circles of friends around smoking pot, then don't know how to live other than that. Also, there's a lack of emotional maturity among people who smoke every day, just like people that drink every day.
    "Actually, if anything, pot makes you more mellow and less destructive"
    Are there any studies done of this, I would love to see some stats on "destruction" and marijuana.
    Closest thing I could find.
    Actually it is worse, for an avg person smoking a cigarette does not keep the toxins and smoke within their lungs for as long as a person smoking weed. This has been proven to harm the lungs more. The longer you hold the smoke and toxins in your lungs the more damage is done. Thus 1 joint does much more damage then one cigarette. Now you will say that "But people smoke more cigarettes then joints", and your right... but just don't start saying that a joint gives you less lung cancer then a cigarette, that is not even close to being correct. When both tobacco leaves and marijuana are smoked, the marijuana is worse because of the way it must be used.
    Not completely true.

"People may not have a physical addiction to it like meth, cocaine, or alcohol, but they will feel like they need to smoke every day."
    There are physical withdrawal symptoms related to weed... They are very similar to having the flu. They are not as violent as alcohol yes, but they are still prevalent and proven to exist.
    True. Also, perception of such withdrawal symptoms varies from person to person. Some may feel off for weeks, while others feel great the next day.
    I don't think this is a reason to make it illegal. I think it is just a reason to lose all respect for anyone who uses it.
  • edited March 2008
    It's probably no surprise that I have a lot to say on this issue. But frankly, I just don't have the time to dig out my prior research and type a meaningful response. (Yes, I've actually done research.)

The VERY short version is that:
    1) Marijuana is more damaging than the legalization proponents would have you believe - both physically and in terms of societal impact. It is not harmless, especially in today's form. Just because you don't beat up your wife after smoking a joint does not mean that it is entirely harmless in every aspect.
    2) It's a judgment call as to whether or not you think society should care. I personally think society should. Others don't. Because it's a social issue, there is no scientifically measurable correct answer.

I was once a member of a panel that discussed this issue at a community forum. The biggest surprise to me at that forum was that the recovered drug addicts (mostly heroin), were all strong advocates of marijuana being illegal. They all viewed it as their gateway drug. It was easy to get and had minimal social stigma. These were people that never dreamed that one day they'd be shooting up heroin. This was purely anecdotal, but it was quite interesting.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited March 2008
    The long term effects are still being studied, but known effects are...
    Lowers sperm count
    Lowers ovulation period
    Lung disease
    Possible memory damage
    So let me get this straight: the stoners would end up not being able to reproduce and eventually die because of their habit? Not to sound crass, but that sounds like natural selection at work to me. *grin*
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited March 2008
    I think it is just a reason to lose all respect for anyone who uses it.
    I know several people that have ruined their lives with alcohol. One guy I knew, actually got a liver transplant, went back to drinking about a 5th of vodka a day. He lasted about 5 years and died of liver failure. Should we disrespect all people that have ever drank vodka?
    They all viewed it as their gateway drug.
    The reason Pot is a gateway drug is because you have to go to the guy with the hard shit to get it. Birds of a feather as it where. You are doing something illegal, the only source for it is a person that has committed themselves to breaking the law in a big way. They are bound to be breaking more than just that one law, and they will tend to hang around others that are also breaking laws.

If marijuana were legal, you would buy it at a store, you would not come into contact with the people pushing other drugs. The only thing it would be a gateway to is the dancing cactus in the checkout lane at Walgreens.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • They are bound to be breaking more than just that one law, and they will tend to hang around others that are also breaking laws.
    "In for a penny, in for a pound." is the phrase you were looking for.
  • I know several people that have ruined their lives with alcohol. One guy I knew, actually got a liver transplant, went back to drinking about a 5th of vodka a day. He lasted about 5 years and died of liver failure. Should we disrespect all people that have ever drank vodka?
    I don't have much respect for anyone who has a need or habit of dosing themselves with mind altering substances.
  • I don't have much respect for anyone who has a need or habit of dosing themselves with mind altering substances.
    How do you respect Rym then?
  • I don't have much respect for anyone who has a need or habit of dosing themselves with mind altering substances.
    How do you respect Rym then?
    People think I respect Rym?
  • How do you respect Rym then?
    I think it's mostly my lack of both need and habit. I don't drink nearly as much as some people seem to believe. ^_~