This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Introducing others to Geeknights

edited March 2008 in GeekNights
I'm thinking of trying to get my friends to start listening to Geeknights as a way into podcasts. Would it be wiser to just start them off coming to the site daily and wait until they are hooked to suggest a RSS reader or podcatcher or trying to set up the podcatcher for them?
Just want ideas on how best to get other, rather apathetic people, to start listening.

Comments

• Just want ideas on how best to get other, rather apathetic people, to start listening.
    When you're all hanging out, just turn on a good episode.
  • Geeknights was the first podcast that I listened to, after a friend tried to explain the pre-topic rants that happen in the "How to get into German Board Gaming" episode. I would just suggest episodes that you think are funny, or you know that they'll like. If you set them up with a podcatcher, you might end up overwhelming them.
  • Find a subject they are interested in, especially if it's one that gets limited coverage on the radio. Find a well-done podcast on the subject. Expose them to it. Repeat as necessary until they're bitten by the bug. :) Easy as that. What these podcasts will be are different for different people. I know one fellow who got hooked because of English language political news from Japan. For another it might be Old Time Radio, for another, free physics lectures from UC Berkeley, for another, GeekNights.

Do your friends have iPods? If so, introduce them to the podcasts section of iTunes.
  • As everyone else has said, just play them any decent episode you think they will like.