This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

America

edited March 2008 in Flamewars
So, I just came across this video after far too many hours stumbling about, and it got me thinking: is the average American that uninformed? I'm sure most of the folks here would know the answers to all of those questions or close to it, but, if you took people off the street and asked them, how many would get them right? America has a bad reputation at the moment among the international community for just this sort of thing, and I think that although the video obviously doesn't show those who answered correctly, it may be indicative of the general state of the nation. In three generations will we know who Andrew Jackson was? Do we know now? The thought disturbs me.

Flame on.

Comments

• There are Americans that are that dumb, yes, but I doubt that represents the average.
  • While I was in an American high school in Texas last year I obviously talked a lot with the people there. Just a few anecdotes:

I got asked if Hitler still lives.
    I got asked if we have electricity in Germany, after I had given them my AIM nickname.
    I, while looking at a huge map of Europe, got asked where England is. The person who asked was assuming somewhere around Russia.
    I got asked how life is with "the wall".

I really did talk to A LOT of people and I also met some real awesome ones, with whom I'm still in contact with today. But I think that your (the American) educational system makes people stupid. Since you can choose what courses to take lots of people don't know shit about history, chemics, physics or geography. Though being able to choose courses is awesome, it is also VERY dangerous. You may be an expert on one topic, but that doesn't make you very smart.

I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'll just stop here and carry on later. ^_~
  • That video has been floating around for a while now... other than the amusing few I'm sure there were quite a few people who answered the questions fine, but those obviously never made it through the filter. But it's the same for a lot of countries, they don't usually know or care what happens outside of their own country, probably even their own state/county. I live in England and I bet if they done a similar questionnaire here the answers wouldn't be much different, other than the geography ones.
  • That video has been floating around for a while now... other than the amusing few I'm sure there were quite a few people who answered the questions fine, but those obviously never made it through the filter. But it's the same for a lot of countries, they don't usually know or care what happens outside of their own country, probably even their own state/county. I live in England and I bet if they done a similar questionnaire here the answers wouldn't be much different, other than the geography ones.
    But that only goes to prove my point. In this world, people are caring less and less about what happens on a larger scale than their own lives. In a few generations, will anyone care? That is what scares me.

• In a few generations, will anyone care?
    Though I'm not sure if people are caring less and less I'm quite sure that America would be the first country to have a majority of people not caring about the world if what you are stating is correct.
  • Honestly, my experience is that the same general proportion of people are dumb in every industrialized nation. The only differences are the manifestations of said dumbness.
  • Rym pretty much has the same sentiments as my own self. Once a country gets to the point where it can develop to the same level (or close) as the United States or England, war, poverty and truly twisted political leaders (Castro, for instance) who want to rule rather than lead go to the back of everyone's memory and thus their daily lives are only effected by the things around them and nothing much else.

I'm not sure what the ramifications of this is. Probably more than I can't conceive of. Other than improving the education system in the States (England's too) I can't think of another "fix".
  • What Rym said. :)

It isn't America in particular. Half the world is that ignorant. You can't beat the curve. The only differences really are in how in particular Americans are ignorant compared to the rest of the world's ignorant people, and the fact that TV, radio, the internet, the fact that English is a globally understood language, and the sheer number of Americans all combine to give America's ignorant people greater visibility than those in other parts of the world. Also Americans tend to be more prone to think of themselves as being smart until proven otherwise instead of the other way around, which leads to them being more likely to put themselves out there to get shot down.
  • Honestly, my experience is that the same general proportion of people are dumb in every industrialized nation. The only differences are the manifestations of said dumbness.
    Too true. The dumb Americans tend to be much louder/emphasized on, I mean, every country needs a stereotype, no? I've seen a copy of that vid done in the UK, same level of stupidity. LONG LIVE ENTERTAINMENT!
  • edited March 2008
    Do you think this has something to do with how little desire there is for people to become more educated in developed countries? (Is there such a lack?)
    I still have the small piece of faith in humanity that Sherri Shepherd won't become the norm (both loud and stupid). Even if it is by means of Darwin awards.

Afterthought: West Europe, developed and with a good education system.
    FYI: England doesn't usually consider itself part of Europe.
    I, while looking at a huge map of Europe, got asked where England is. The person who asked was assuming somewhere around Russia.
    I may be able to shed some light on this one. It is a remarkable fact that London is close to the same latitude as Moscow yet is much warmer due to the warm water brought by the gulf stream. Might have been where said person heard such things.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I got asked if Hitler still lives.
    This is a VERY important question. That kid should be given a award. Robo-Hitler is indeed alive, you should not call a kid who asks this sort of question dumb.
  • Robo-Hitler is indeed alive, you should not call a kid who asks this sort of question dumb.
    What!? Robots are capable of living these days? Dear god, technology has already forsaken me. What will become of my-oh cookie.
  • I'd say Walt Disney is scarier. He eats Cuban children.

I could answer most of those questions.. a few I have no clue (but then again, I'm 17...)
  • This is what is horrible about America.
  • Thisis what is horrible about America.
    I think this is worse.
    Keep it coming guys, this is priceless.
    CAN I HAVE MY LIFE BACK?

No wait. Can I attack her?
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Why Andrew!? Why!

*saves his eyes with the Creation Museum commercial* A very nice animation.
  • edited March 2008
    Thisis what is horrible about America.
    That is absolutely vomit-inducing. She will not be able to survive in the real world after her enormous bubble pops and I would love to see her flounder and realize that her parents were only hurting her throughout all of her years.
    I think this is worse.
    The people who created this need to die in a fire.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on