This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Eliot Spitzer Resigns

edited March 2008 in Politics
Eliot Spitzer resigned today after admiting his involvement in a prostitution ring.

I really couldn't care less what the man does with his penis. Moreover, I think prostitution should be legalized and regulated as it is in Nevada. That being said, as prostitution is currently illegal, he did break the law and should pay the consequences.

It is really disappointing, I had such high hopes for him.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Is this Digg or something?

He hasn't resigned yet, as far as I know. Rumor is that he may resign and swear in the Lt. Governor at 7 PM tonight. I won't believe a damn thing until I see it in front of me from multiple sources.

However, I think he should resign. I like the man's politics, and I also think prostitution should be legal and regulated, but I mean, HE BUSTED UP PROSTITUTION RINGS. He sent people to jail for doing the same thing he was doing. Don't forget that he also vowed to clean up the state and root out corruption and all that jazz.

He probably just should've tried to put through legislation to legalize prostitution. That way, he'd be covered.

EDIT: And before anyone asks, yes I work for the state of New York, but no, I don't have any special information as to this whole affair.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Man Spitzer was so cool when he was attorney general. He nailed all those wall street guys. He nails the spammers and the spyware guys. He nailed those corrupt insurance guys. He forced the RIAA to send me money at one point. I didn't see any other state attorney general doing that. It earned him like 75% of the vote when he ran for governor. Way to make a scandal dude.

Is there something about attaining political power that drives seemingly normal people to do scandalous things? Oh well.
  • WTF?

You might want to check your facts. He has not resigned as of the time you typed this.
  • edited March 2008
    One of the news articles epxlicitly said that he resigned, but has now changed that to be in question. They were going off of the "I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family." quote he made in his statement today. I apologize for jumping the gun based on a bad article. Regardless, he is expected to resign to boost the party's chances in the State Senate.

Do you think he should?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited March 2008
    Man Spitzer was so cool when he was attorney general. He nailed all those wall street guys. He nails the spammers and the spyware guys. He nailed those corrupt insurance guys.
    He nailed that prostitute....

Sorry, it was too obvious. ^_^
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • One of the news articles epxlicitly said that he resigned, but has now changed that to be in question. They were going off of the "I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family." quote he made in his statement today. I apologize for jumping the gun based on a bad article. Regardless, he is expected to resign to boost the party's chances in the State Senate.

Do you think he should?
    Absolutely. I liked the man's politics, but he's demonstrated that he's no better than any of the corrupt officials he's been rooting out.

Also, I think he's going to be indicted. I saw some news articles mentioning that. At this point, it'd probably be best to resign.

He COULD try to pull something like, "Alright, I did it, it was wrong, and I admit it. No more cover-ups, I'm going to be totally honest from now on," but that's a hard sell if you don't have charisma. Spitzer built himself on his appearance of honesty and integrity, and now he's really kind of shot that down. I don't think anyone's really going to trust him again.
  • edited March 2008
    That being said, as prostitution is currently illegal, he did break the law and should pay the consequences.
    I sent my friend a copy of fast karate to my friend without getting permission first, should I face the consequences? We haven't had a pointless flame war for a while but if someone breaks a law you think is wrong then why do you condemn [opposite of condone?] them?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If his entire platform was to ferret out corruption - and if he used state resources to shack up with a prostitute, then he should resign.
  • That being said, as prostitution is currently illegal, he did break the law and should pay the consequences.
    I sent my friend a copy of fast karate to my friend without getting permission first, should I face the consequences? We haven't had a pointless flame war for a while but if someone breaks a law you think is wrong then why do you condemn [opposite of condone?] them?
    If his entire platform was to ferret out corruption - and if he used state resources to shack up with a prostitute, then he should resign.
    What he said. If Spitzer hadn't have said that he was all about ferreting out corruption, and if he hadn't have used his power to stop people from doing the EXACT thing he was doing, I'd be OK.

As it stands, he's the DEFINITION of a hypocrite.
  • edited March 2008
    This is not illegal.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • I sent my friend a copy of fast karate to my friend without getting permission first, should I face the consequences? We haven't had a pointless flame war for a while but if someone breaks a law you think is wrong then why do you condemn [opposite of condone?] them?
    This is not illegal.
    Actually, while it isn't a criminal offense, you can technically sue them for copyright infringement if you wanted to. This is why you should use the Creative Commons license.
  • Actually, while it isn't a criminal offense, you can technically sue them for copyright infringement if you wanted to. This is why you should use the Creative Commons license.
    But doing that would allow certain people to broadcast them on their "way of the future" internet radio stations.
  • But doing that would allowcertain peopleto broadcast them on their "way of the future" internet radio stations.
    Hmm, this is something interesting. I wonder if there's a way to make a Creative Commons license, but only offer it to some people and not others. I will investigate.
  • This is not illegal.
    Actually, Dave, why don't you use the Creative Commons license? Ambiguous copyright in free media is actually a huge problem these days.
  • I believe he explained it on an episode of Fast Karate. He doesn't want people replaying Fast Karate on their internet radio stations without him knowing.
  • I believe he explained it on an episode of Fast Karate. He doesn't want people replaying Fast Karate on their internet radio stations without him knowing.
    Then he should use a custom license of some kind. Without some sort of license, anyone who does anything with Fast Karate carries a liability risk.

As for "bad people playing it somewhere else," I honestly don't understand his objections. It doesn't hurt me if someone, no matter how silly that someone may be, plays my show out there. If he's really worried, he should use a non-commercial, no derivatives license.
  • If he's really worried, he should use a non-commercial, no derivatives license.
    Even then, the crazy could still replay the show wholesale and give attribution.
  • I was wondering what Kilarney had to say about Spitzer. He seems pretty doomed, but then again that Senator with all that bathroom funny business is still in Washington.
  • Downtown Albany around the capitol building is a madhouse, apparently. News crews all over the place. I think they're waiting for him to make another announcement.

Apparently, the Republicans in the state government are going to impeach him if he doesn't resign.
  • Downtown Albany around the capitol building is a madhouse, apparently. News crews all over the place. I think they're waiting for him to make another announcement.
    I thought he was in Manhattan.
  • edited March 2008
    What is it about the Republicans and sex? That's a reason to impeach someone. Don't try to 'splain the criminal allegations to me. I know them very well. And yet I call shenanigans on any Republican who says an impeachment would be about the crime and corruption. The Republicans are all about the sex. If they were so concerned about crime and corruption, GWB would have been impeached long ago.

Meanwhile, all the Republicans are probably having torrid gay sexual affairs of their own. Notice how the Democrat sex affairs are usually hetero? The Democrats have only one gay affair guy and the Republicans have only one straight affair guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm just sayin' . . .

I saw in a couple of articles that the trysts were held at the Mayflower Hotel. My first document review job was right across the street from the Mayflower Hotel. It's so weird to see places that you know in big news stories like this. When I was living in KY, you never saw anything from KY in a national news article. You still don't of course, but I hope you catch my meaning.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
    I thought he was in Manhattan.
    Is he? If that's the case, those news crews are going to be in for a surprise.
  • How much of the case against Spitzer is politically motivated?
  • How much of the case against Spitzer ispolitically motivated?
    It may be true that the investigation should not have happened under normal operating procedure. It may be true that political motivation increased the size of, and cause an inordinate amount of effort to be put into, the investigation. Regardless of that, the evidence they have found is the evidence they have found. This might give a good reason to reform the justice department, but it doesn't mean we should ignore the evidence they have found. If anything it means we should give it special treatment because we paid way too much to get it.
  • edited March 2008
    Regardless of that, the evidence they have found is the evidence they have found. This might give a good reason to reform the justice department, but it doesn't mean we should ignore the evidence they have found. If anything it means we should give it special treatment because we paid way too much to get it.
    Politically, maybe. Criminally, maybe not. It's possible, maybe not likely but possible, that some or all of that evidence could be excluded in a criminal trial.
  • edited March 2008
    My personal feeling is that if it is his money he should be able to spend it in whatever manner he wants. Banks should not turn people over to the IRS for spending their money. Keep it up and people will just take their money out of the banking system.

This is the same thing that led to Rush Limbaugh's drug problem being discovered. He was drawing out $9,999 at a time from the bank ($10K is the IRS trigger) and ended up being investigated. For some reason the government feels that anyone who spends large amounts of cash must be doing something illegal. They also feel that anyone with large sums of cash stored in their home must have earned it via some sort of crime and will confiscate said money until you prove you earned it legally.

AFAIK prostitution is still illegal. Should he lose his job over it? That is a bit tricky.

As Joe mentioned above Republicans often end up in gay affairs and lose their jobs. They don't lose the job because they are gay as much as because they are proven to be hypocrites. In this case Spitzer looks like a hypocrite because he is guilty of doing things that he considered to be crimes when he was the AG of New York. Because of that he should resign.

UPDATES:

Sources: Spitzer Resignation Expected Wednesday
    Spitzer Got Tripped Up Laws He Enforced
    Official: Cash Triggered Spitzer Probe

Looks like the $10K law is no more. Banks can alert the feds over any transactions they deem suspicious.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited March 2008
    In this case Spitzer looks like a hypocrite because he is guilty of doing things that he considered to be crimes when he was the AG of New York. Because of that he should resign.
    First of all, he's not guilty until he pleads guilty or is proven guilty in court. Second, as of right now, all they can prove is a violation of the Mann Act, that is, interstate transportation of a woman for the purposes of prostitution. That's not what he prosecuted when he was NYAG.
  • So my articles have it wrong? Spitzer was not involved in busting up a prostitution ring?

You are right about one thing, I should not have used the word guilty. I should have written "appears to be guilty". There is a more accurate word than appears but it eludes me at this moment.
  • edited March 2008
    So my articles have it wrong? Spitzer was not involved in busting up a prostitution ring?
    Well, if you'd actually read the articles, you might see that Spitzer was the AG for NY state. If he "busted" any "prostitution" rings, he did so under NY state law, probably by catching at least some people in the act of making a transaction.

Spitzer himself was investigated by the DOJ. The investigation was pursued under the White Slave Traffic Act of 1910, sometimes called the Mann Act, a federal law, which is all they think they can prove at this point.

Spitzer went after the people actually doing the prostitution, i.e. the pimps and prostitutes. The DOJ is focusing on Spitzer and not prosecuting the actual prostitutes. In fact, I don't think there actually is any federal prostitution law. It's dealt with federally through RICO.

So the similarity is pretty superficial.
  • He's just officially stated he will resign. David Paterson will take his spot and become the first black governor of New York.