This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hulu

edited March 2008 in Flamewars
So, I was poking around the news, as I'm want to do, and found out that Hulu opened today. Hulu is basically some networks saying "Hey, lets see if we can take this YouTube thing and make it so we have a bit more control over it". Despite that, it doesn't seem too evil. The videos are all standard YouTube style FLV in-browser videos with no DRM or any required extensions, and it plays just fine in Firefox. They have a fairly good library of shows (House, the newer Astro Boy remake, Arrested Development, Family Guy, The Simpsons, etc), and no antics. Plus, all shows have an RSS feed for new episodes. It seems, at least for now, that there's not shenanigans going on... I hope it stays that way...

Comments

• It seems, at least for now, that there's not shenanigans going on... I hope it stays that way...
    Hulu is great! If you live in the US or any other region they support..
  • ... or have Hotspot Shield I(it may be evil - I didn't look into it- but so far it works well for me).
  • Hotspot Shield runs on:

* Windows Vista
    * Windows XP
    * Windows 2000
    * Mac OS X (10.5 Leopard)
    * Mac OS X (10.4 Tiger)
    It may run on Ubuntu under WINE, I haven't tried yet.
  • or any required extensions,
    You know that's wrong. Flash player is ambiguous, but never default.

Also:
    Unfortunately this video is not currently available in your country or region. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    THIS IS THE INTERNET! BORDERS DO NOT EXIST HERE! Fricking self-righteous bastards.
  • I think they can't put it out in all regions because of copyright violations. So it isn't really Hulus fault.
  • Don't they own those shows? I remember hearing it was set up and run by NBC itself or something like that.
  • Yes. But as soon as NBC lisences one of their shows to (for example) a German television network they can't just let me in Germany watch the show for free, because the German television network owns the rights in Germany
  • Yes. But as soon as NBC lisences one of their shows to (for example) a German television network they can't just let me in Germany watch the show for free, because the German television network owns the rights in Germany
    Yes, which I find very stupid. It's the internet! Don't discriminate based on country, just because someone might whine in that country. The only laws that should apply on a specific server is the laws in the country where it's in. If NBC has the copyrights of the shows in the US, and their Hulu server is their they shouldn't care about other countries. I mean, you can bypass it with a proxy, and else you can just pirate the show through torrents. It's a waste of time and money to restrict people from watching episodes of their favorite TV series over the internet if you ask me. Those people will see that episode before its will be on their TVs anyhow. And the people who want to watch the series on TV will do so anyway once it comes on, a similar example are the people who buy LPs instead of CDs, because they prefer the format for whatever reason.
  • THIS IS THE INTERNET! BORDERS DO NOT EXIST HERE! Fricking self-righteous bastards.
    This.. this is madness.
  • THIS IS THE INTERNET! BORDERS DO NOT EXIST HERE! Fricking self-righteous bastards.
    This.. this is madness.
    Damnit. Wrong order. *still kicks Omnutia in a pit*
    This.. this is madness.
    I will not mention Sparta... I will not mention Sparta... I will not mention Sparta....
  • I watched a few episodes of The Simpsons on it, the quality was surprisingly good. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a purple squirrel.
  • I watched a few episodes of The Simpsons on it, the quality was surprisingly good. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a purple squirrel.
    On a scale of one to awesome, it's super great.
  • They have Conan uploaded a day or two after each episode is broadcasted, which is awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    I'm extremely happy to see major networks taking this digital-distribution path. I am curious however about if it is sustainable. If every person watching NBC shows on television watched them on Hulu, would networks still be able to cover the costs of production? I certainly hope so, this is much easier than Bittorrent.
    (note that the shows are posted after they've finished airing in Hawaii)
    Post edited by spotdart on
  • Damn Hulu.

I live in Hong Kong.

I will never be supported, dammit!

And Hotspot Shield doesn't work here.

THERE SHOULD BE NO BORDERS ON THE INTERNET!
  • Hmm, the only thing I see wrong with this site so far are the ads. However, I can see us using it occasionally, or at least until Netflix works on the Mac.
  • They have Conan uploaded a day or two after each episode is broadcasted, which is awesome.
    The people on Usenet seem to be able to get it done more quickly than that. I will visit this site quite a bit I'm sure. Now they just need to let us sync the shows, adds ad all, to our favorite media device. They also would be way ahead if they made a plug-in for the Xbox 360, PS3, AppleTV, Windows Media Center and MythTV.
  • The people on Usenet seem to be able to get it done more quickly than that.
    Do you really have such a burning desire for red-headed Bostonian comedians that you have to have it sooner than the day after?
    Hmm, the only thing I see wrong with this site so far are the ads.
    I agree, but at least they're at the upper bounds of tasteful. They don't interrupt the show, and they don't pop over the video.
  • edited March 2008
    Do you really have such a burning desire for red-headed Bostonian comedians that you have to have it sooner than the day after?
    Nope, just stating a fact and wondering why it wasn't on Hulu as soon as it aired, they are working with NBC after all.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • Hmm, the only thing I see wrong with this site so far are the ads.
    I didn't have a problem with them - if I can watch a show right now at the cost of seeing a few 15-30 second ads, I'll take that over waiting for a Netflix or BBO DVD to come in the mail.
  • Woah, The Big Lebowski is on here. Sweet.
  • NowThe Daily ShowandThe Colbert Reportare on Hulu!
    Uh oh.
  • It seems, at least for now, that there's not shenanigans going on... I hope it stays that way...
    Hulu is great! If you live in the US or any other region they support..
    This makes me even more mad..
    I just peed myself.
    Uh oh.
    Why Uh-oh, Scott?
  • Hulu has international support since March.

Also, you have to turn off AdBlock or suffer all kinds of stupid 30-second-long commercial breaks all the time. If you have it off, they tend to be shorter and less frequent.

For me, Hulu isn't posting new content nearly often enough to warrant daily visits. Maybe The Daily Show and Colbert will change that.
  • For me, Hulu isn't posting new content nearly often enough to warrant daily visits. Maybe The Daily Show and Colbert will change that.
    They need to add higher quality movies. Master and Commander is the most recent addition of win.
  • edited June 2008
    Hulu has international support since March.
    I don't seem to be able to watch any video on Hulu because I'm "not in a region they support".
    Q : Why can't I watch your videos from outside the U.S.?
    For now, Hulu is a U.S. service only.
    But thanks for getting my hopes up! ^^
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on