This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

No Decent Computer Mice

edited March 2008 in Technology
So at home I have a Logitech MX1000, which is fine. At work, I'm using a tiny Logitech laptop mouse that came with the wireless numpad. It's starting to get annoying because the mouse is very small, I have to change the batteries in it all the time, and the keyboard in the conference room interferes with the wireless, which means I have people typing on my screen from the other side of the wall.

So I start looking for mice. I looked and looked, but I couldn't find a single high quality mouse that is still manufactured. The Logitech G7 looked nice, but Newegg and Amazon are out of stock. The only "real" companies even making mice anymore are Microsoft and Logitech. Razer still makes goofy mice for crazy PC gamers. Lots of other companies are making cheap crap ghetto mice that don't count.

In the land of keyboard there are plenty of options, including my favorite, the Happy Hacking Keyboard. Why is there no Happy Hacking Mouse? What is a geek to do?

Comments

• What would you want from a Happy Hacking Mouse?
  • This mouse is alright. Friends who use it have only positive output about it.
  • I always get the most simple Logitech optical mouse. Link.
  • Thismouse is alright. Friends who use it have only positive output about it.
    Oooh, my little brother has that, it is nice whenever I touch it :) But that's because I use this cheapass monster, which is... well old and loving to attract things that are less than pleasant to touch.
  • I personally use a Razer Diamondback. However, I did not officially "purchase" it from a store. I, in a sense, bartered for it.
  • I'm still disappointed with the lack of choice regarding trackballs these days. I'm thinking of getting a Razer Copperhead when I get a new system, though, could someone tell me a good mouse for someone with big hands (~20cm wrist to tip of middle finger and ~10.5cm across.)?
  • But that's because I use this cheapass monster, which is... well old and loving to attract things that are less than pleasant to touch.
    All the computers in my IT class in school have those mice. They're not amazing, but not bad either.

I use the logitech LX3 for around $25.00 takes a lot of abuse so far and has out lasted most mice I have bought. Plus there is 2 buttons on top and bottom under the left and right mouse buttons so you can use it no matter what hand size.
  • Thismouse is alright. Friends who use it have only positive output about it.
    Yeah, I was looking at it, but it has this gimmicky weight business. I was also looking at it's wireless cousin, the G7. The only problem with the G7 is that it's not for sale from any trustworthy site.
  • Razer Copperhead, if you can handle the lights. It's the most comfortable mouse I have ever used.
  • I could never justify spending more than $30 for a mouse. Around the 20-30 dollar range seems to me at least in my experience the best quality for what I spent on it.
  • I just bought on of these at Wal-Mart for $30 on clearance. It's OK, it does glide nicely on my desk.

I have this mouse, for my laptop. One AA battery lasts about 45 to 60 days. I've dropped it a ton of times, never had a problem with interference or anything. The only thing I don't like is the longish receiver. It is to easy to catch on stuff if you carry your laptop around and don't pay attention. I don't think it's $40 to long though as that's the cost to upgrade to the Logitech with the tiny nub receiver. I picked mine up at Target for $19.99, I've had it a year now and it works great.

I do agree that there are no good mice. I have a Logitech mouse-man that has to be 8 years old. It's the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. It seems like they make mice to skinny now or something.

I use the logitech LX3 for around $25.00 takes a lot of abuse so far and has out lasted most mice I have bought. Plus there is 2 buttons on top and bottom under the left and right mouse buttons so you can use it no matter what hand size.
    I use that, too. The one issue I have with it is that the scroll wheel is flat out annoying. Since it has some tilt features, sometimes when I try to close a tab in firefox, it scrolls the tab bar and closes the wrong tab...so now I mainly ctrl+w to close tabs. Also, the scroll wheel is harder to press down than other mice I've used.

The best mouse I've used is this basic mouse from Dell.

I use that, too. The one issue I have with it is that the scroll wheel is flat out annoying. Since it has some tilt features, sometimes when I try to close a tab in firefox, it scrolls the tab bar and closes the wrong tab...so now I mainly ctrl+w to close tabs. Also, the scroll wheel is harder to press down than other mice I've used.

The best mouse I've used isthisbasic mouse from Dell.
    This is a nice, cheap mouse. I've been using the wireless version of it for a while now, but it has just died on me. The scroll wheel has collapsed from my middle-clicking. I think it's a little bar that was holding the wheel up in the front. I can still middle-click, it just sticks now, and randomly clicks sometimes. Not fun.

(And yeah, Necro post ftw.)
  • You can always order stuff directly from Logitech.
    For a bajillion dollars. Also, the problem was never getting the product, but finding a product worthy of getting.
  • edited April 2008
    Well, there isn't much variety in mice anymore. As you've said, Logitech and Microsoft are virtually the only ones who make good mice. The G7 doesn't even use AA batteries like the past Logitech wireless mouse used to, instead it has it's own battery cartridge.

I personally use the G5 that has the same old design but with a nice texture to it and the option to change the sensitivity on the fly with a small button below the mouse wheel, the weight stuff is kind of odd, but it's mainly there because I guess some people don't like a feather weight mouse and decide to put weights on them so it "feels" good to move around on the mouse pad. Probably the best mouse I've ever had.

The Logitech MX Air looks interesting but nothing more than a cool toy, maybe good for a media center PC. Not really relevant to the thread.
    Post edited by Norvu on

• I personally usethe G5that has the same old design but with a nice texture to it and the option to change the sensitivity on the fly with a small button below the mouse wheel, the weight stuff is kind of odd, but it's mainly there because I guess some people don't like a feather weight mouse and decide to put weights on them so it "feels" good to move around on the mouse pad. Probably the best mouse I've ever had.
    I got the G5 for work. It is a good mouse. The only problems with it are that it has the gimmicky weight system, and it isn't cordless.
    This is the mouse that I use and it is pretty good.I got it for $2 at a garage sale a couple of years ago so it probably isn't for sale anymore.
  • I use this mouse:image

I really like the grip, and it has:
    Smart Scrolling: Automatically switch between hyper-fast or precision click-to-click scrolling modes to match the task at hand.
    When you 'hyper-scroll', you have a frictionless mouse wheel. Which works very well. The only problem is that you switch by pressing down the scroll wheel. So no 3rd mouse button I'm afraid. You could program the seach button just below the mouse wheel to act like the third mouse button.
    This is what I have; The Razer Deathadder is an awesome mouse.
    I would say that the best thing about it is its shape, which is just brilliant.
    It also looks great and not at all over-the-top.

Also, from a gamer's perspective it's one of the best performing out there.
    The Logitech Marble Mouse. It was a gift from my girlfriend, after I ranted about not being able to find a reasonable trackball anymore. It's almost perfect - my only gripe is that it doesn't have a thumb scroll wheel.

The Cordless TrackMan Optical is what I'm looking at moving up to. It has a scroll wheel and some extra buttons for gaming, but I really do not like that particular ergonomic shape that Logitech is in love with. I had a cordless laser MX 1000 when thy first came out (and were also infinitybajillion dollars), but gave it to my brother because I couldn't deal with the shape. That and I'd need to adapt to manipulating the ball with the middle and ring fingers, as opposed to the usual index and middle.

I just got promoted to a position as an apprentice engineer at the company I work for, and all our consoles have SpaceExplorer controllers for working in our CAD/CAM software. I'm horrible at using them right now, but the senior engineers are wizards. They can do anything and everything with four fingers.
  • Wow, I didn't know that people still used trackball mice. I used to use one years ago but dropped it because I could never be precise with it.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm currently looking for a new mouse too, as my scroll wheel is getting worse every day. All I want is a mouse without all the bells and whistles. I need a 2-button laser mouse with a scroll wheel and middle click. I also want it to be quality. Any suggestions?
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I don't get how anyone can use a browser without a "back" button on the side of their mouse, having to click the back button on the tooldbar all the time would drive me insane.
  • I don't get how anyone can use a browser without a "back" button on the side of their mouse, having to click the back button on the tooldbar all the time would drive me insane.
    Backspace. And if you haven't used a back button on your mouse for some while you won't really be bothered by it.
  • Alt + left arrow?
  • Alt + left arrow?
    Unreachable with one hand! Right Alt = Alt Gr. I can only get from the left Alt to the right Ctrl...
  • edited April 2008
    Wow, I didn't know that people still used trackball mice. I used to use one years ago but dropped it because I could never be precise with it.
    For normal browsing I loves me a good trackball. I'm using the old Marblemouse (Just has the two big buttons). While they do lack some precision I still like them for browsing and similar. I used to have the Marblemouse and Mircrosoft laser mouse hooked up at the same time but over time it got easier to use just the laser mouse.
    Think I'm going to bust the Marblemouse out again.

Afterthought: Bronzedragon, two scroll wheels?? I don't know whether that is awesome or crazy. I do know that that is pretty damn expensive though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Wow, I didn't know that people still used trackball mice. I used to use one years ago but dropped it because I could never be precise with it.
    For normal browsing I loves me a good trackball. I'm using the old Marblemouse (Just has the two big buttons). While they do lack some precision I still like them for browsing and similar. I used to have the Marblemouse and Mircrosoft laser mouse hooked up at the same time but over time it got easier to use just the laser mouse.
    Think I'm going to bust the Marblemouse out again.
    I personally don't have a problem with accuracy - in fact, I find I'm better with a trackball than a mouse. I think it may have something to do with the fact that my first computer was a VIC-20 with a trackball for gaming, and I played Missile Command until I could throw that ball anywhere.