This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I want to start an amateur publication

Comments

• Omnutia, you don't 'splain so well! Take one of your manga books and draw around it? nonononon.

Viga, I will give to you a PSD with a colored template that I made for print bleed and margins. Or, check out Tokyopop RSOM for a nice guide to manga specifications. Here is the PDF.

@Omnutia: I have a 20 page comic from 3 years ago that might fit the bill but I can't upload it right now because of not being able to SFTP files to my website. I have to bug Scott when he gets home and ask him whatsupwidat.
  • Hey! I did the best I could with the resources I had, thanks for the template and I'll set you up an FTP account on my server if you email me so I can send back to you.
  • AH! Thank you! Now it makes sense!

Sorry. I learn things better with visual aids or if someone shows me.

...sad.
  • edited March 2008
    After writing about 3/4 of a page I have managed to distill everything this is going to be about into one paragraph.

“A magazine about anime, manga and fandom with original comics, art, reviews and articles made by creative fans with the aim of entertaining and encouraging creativity in it's readers. Who, in turn, rely on it to provide them with both entertainment and information they would, not only, not usually find elsewhere, but also, would not be looking for.”

I'll have a schedule and instructions for the first issue ready to hand out to anyone who wants it by tomorrow.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You should maybe put together a website where everyone can put up their art work/ articles. That would make the process of finding the content you need a lot easier.
  • edited March 2008
    You should maybe put together a website where everyone can put up their art work/ articles. That would make the process of finding the content you need a lot easier.
    Ok, what CMS should I use to do so?(directed at Steve, Scott, Rym, etc..)
  • edited March 2008
    Sorry to double post but can anyone think of a name to use until we can poll a proper one? Referring to it as "the magazine" is getting annoying.
  • GeekMag?
  • G Press?

Geekative?

Fandanium?

*shrugs*
  • Maybe something totally different.

Rantu (it's totally random) ^^
  • Ok, what CMS should I use to do so?(directed at Steve, Scott, Rym, etc..)
    Wordpress.
  • You could create a group in your wordpress called "contributors" and let everyone in that group write, save but not post.
  • edited March 2008
    I think "Rantu Press Monthly" would be a good name to start with. It looks like the domain rantu.com is taken by a squatter but that doesn't matter for now.
    @Kiwi: Any way to have Wordpress handle multiple image uploads per post?
    Edit: How about "Comics Rantu"?
  • "As a new, edgy publication about anime and manga fandom filled with original comics, art, reviews and articles made by creative fans for creative fans, (Comic Name) provides exclusive content to its readers that is entertaining, informative, and on occasion completely unexpected.”

I say if you want to go Japanese with it make it "Comi*Something" or "Something*Comi"

I like ComiClash, Comic Snap, Comi*5 (Pronounced "Comi-Go"), Tragi Comics, Comixi, ComiCraze, OmniComi
    Basically, just pick a word you like, and add comic to it. Depends on what image you have for the mag.
    The words in my mind say tough-indie-cool.
  • Comirantu!?

RantuComi!

Comi-san!

Just to throw out some more:
    Geek angle?
    Big G?
    Comiko?

So far Rantu grown on me.
  • I just really dislike the squeezing together of words, i.e.Geek and Magazine to GeekMag or maybe even Geekazen.

And yes, I also really like Rantu. ^_~

@Omnutia: If you want I could host the blog on my webspace. It would then be rantu.elrgermany.com. Or any other name you choose. ;)
  • I say we go with Rantu Comi, it'll be fine for now. When I get my dictionary program working I'll look up Ranchu and Rantsu to check if they mean anything odd.
    "As a new, edgy publication about anime and manga fandom filled with original comics, art, reviews and articles made by creative fans for creative fans, (Comic Name) provides exclusive content to its readers that is entertaining, informative, and on occasion completely unexpected.”
    Nice work.

@Kiwi: I've got a whole ton left over from when I tried this before. Thanks for the offer though.

Right, I'll start getting the instructions written up.

Next question: Do we try and do a practice copy with just people on the forum and use that to get people from outside or put up an advert first?
  • Next question: Do we try and do a practice copy with just people on the forum and use that to get people from outside or put up an advert first?
    That's probably not a bad idea, the only problem is with comics since they would likely need to be reprinted again for the first real issue. Not that that's a huge problem, just making the point.

• Right, I'll start getting the instructions written up.
    I can't wait.. ^_~
  • edited March 2008
    Ok, Things may have taken a while but I'm getting the site put together using a combination of wordpress and vanilla forum. I've bought the domain comirentu.com but, for some reason, I'm having issues directing it to the site.
    What are everyones thoughts on this (demo here) as a way of uploading and managing files. It's made by the people who make this forum and looks pretty decent.
    Edit: Scratch that last bit, doesn't seem to have an uploader.
  • edited March 2008
    If you're looking for people who do a 1 page filler comic page here and there, I'd be willing to do that.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks for bearing with me. If you have anything I can mess around with, email it to me "omnutia@gmail.com" (zipped if possible).
    Cancel that one as well, I haven't got everything sorted out. Damn life, getting in the way of the important things.
  • edited April 2008

Right, I'll start getting the instructions written up.
    I can't wait.. ^_~
    I've taken a long time and written about three pages of in depth procedural instructions but finally realized that I was writing too much when I didn't need to, you're all smart people (Viga, don't let people tell you otherwise.) so I won't need to be so detailed.

For the test issue I'd like to get everything in by Wednesday, April 30th (end of the month)

Artists: Images need to have a height to width ratio of 7.5" to 5" (aka 1.5 to 1) but can be bigger if you want (as long as it's still in proportion) to get more detail. Add in a small border (I'd say 3-5mm) on each edge that can get cut off. For this first test issue can you just use pencil for art just to make sure you aren't spending too much time on a test issue.

Writers: Could you just send me the script [just the words?] for what you want to write. I can do the layout work. If you want to add pictures, include them in a zip file with the script and put the file name in square brackets where you want the picture to appear. I'm not just looking for reviews; Unusual, interesting and in depth rather than up to the minute and mainstream. Try and keep things concise but don't be worried about using a lot of page space.

Potential web staff: Contact me. Jobs will include site admin, organizing announcements and forum admin.

Could anyone who is interested and thinks they will be ok to make the deadline of April 30th post below. If possible, include some kind of description of what you would like to do.
  • I'd be up for "Potential web staff", but you'll have to tell us where to contact you.
  • If you have anything I can mess around with, email it to me "omnutia@gmail.com".
  • Ah, yes!..^^"
  • So how many pages are you looking for for comics from artists? I'm thinking about maybe sending you the 4 panel comic I've started doing to use for the publication.
  • I'd give it 5 - 10 pages for the test issue, more if you feel like it.
  • This is so exciting to read. I can't wait to see it come together. I'd say that I'd contribute a comic but... its not my strong point and I don't have the time for it. It does seem like something fun to participate in!
  • I'd be interested in a potential web staff position.

Also, I googled a bit and found this. It's home website seems to be a little sketchy, but the demo looks good.