This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good Anime Movies/ Series for "noobs"

edited March 2008 in Anime
So, I have friends coming over in a few days who think that all anime is garbage and only for small children. I'm planning on showing them a few movies or series that day, to try to convince them that anime is awesome. For that though I need some anime which is awesome from the beginning till the end.
Although I like cowboy bebop I don't think it would be the right anime for this situation, because I think it has kind of a slow start. Just as an example.

So do you guys have any suggestions on what anime to show, which are absolutely awesome from the very beginning?

Comments

• edited March 2008
    First off, do your friends like a certain genre of movies over others, such as Sci-fi, Action, Comedy? That will help with giving better suggestions.

As for Cowboy Bebop, that would have been my first suggestion. I don't really agree on it being slow in the beginning, they just needed episodes to introduce the characters. Most people just realize that the show is the business when they watch "Ballad of the Fallen Angel".
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • If these people want to watch something that is most definitely not for children, show them Perfect Blue.
  • Perfect Blue is good. Or, just show them episode five of Cowboy Bebop. Don't even bother to explain it, just let them see it. Grave of the Fireflies could also work, or else a particularly good episode of GITS:SAC.
  • How about Miyazaki films: Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, or Castle of Cogliostro?
  • If they like Tarantino movies, show them some Black Lagoon ^^
  • edited March 2008
    If you don't mind showing fansubs of something, I'd recommend trying Monster. Most people I've talked to would never believe there was an anime as good as or better than any quality medical drama/homicide show/adult mystery they've seen, but lo and behold, there it is. Granted, it's not as good as the manga, but if you've never read the manga, the Monster anime is the freaking BOMB.

The same would be true for the Death Note anime, actually, so I'll throw in a recommendation for that too. I showed it to my ex-roommate, who was mostly not an anime fan, and she just ate it up.

As for movies, maybe Akira?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited March 2008
    The problem with showing Miyazaki films to people who see anime as a kids thing is that his movies are popularized in the west as family movies, which would only support their claim in their eyes.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • edited March 2008
    The problem with showing Miyazaki films to people who see anime as a kids thing is that his movies are popularized in the west as family movies, which would only support their claim in their eyes.
    That's what I thought when I saw that posted too, but I forgot to put it in my own post. ^^;

So yeah, if you're trying to specifically convince someone that not all anime is for kids, Miyazaki, while great, is not the route to go.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited March 2008
    I'll agree with Spirited Away and Castle of Cogliostro on being seen as kids thing, however Princess Mononoke, imo, isn't really a children's movie.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Thanks for all your suggestions up until now. Princess Mononoke is one of the only anime movies which was shown on TV here and marketed to an audience of about 9-11 year olds. Though I love Princess Mononoke and I even have the DVD I think my friends are to dogmatic about it.

I'll check out perfect blue and see if there is a German dub.
  • Paranoia Agent.
  • Berserk... that's definitely not for kids. :)
  • Since Ro asked what genre, I would say nothing to gruesome and no Sci Fi. Action/ Thriller would be best, I guess.
  • What about Tokyo Godfathers? Wasn't that one of the Satoshi Kon movies that was mentioned by Scrym on the Getting into Anime episode way back when.
  • What about Tokyo Godfathers? Wasn't that one of the Satoshi Kon movies that was mentioned by Scrym on the Getting into Anime episode way back when.
    Yeah, that's a good one too. But Perfect Blue is better if you are looking for a darker thriller.
  • As long as we're recommending Satoshi Kon's work, Paprika is on DVD.
  • Cowboy Bebop. If I show someone a few episodes from that and they don't like it, then I tend to consider them a lost cause (at least regarding any possible anime fandom).
  • I could now buy:

Paprika 2 DVDs for 9€
    Perfect Blue for 33€
    Cowboy Bebop Vol. for 27€

I'm thinking about buying Cowboy Bebop, showing them episode 5 and then starting form episode one.
  • If they're girls how about NANA?
  • Wow, you needed to ask?

Cowboy Bebop.
  • edited March 2008
    Gundam. The original , SEED, Or 00.
    This is the best way to know if mech anime is for you. Besides MS Gundam: the original, you gotta know your roots. It's classic 70's/80's anime. Just good luck finding it.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • If they are guys then 00 might not be a good idea.
  • edited March 2008
    The Original Gundam? No way. That's among the last things you should show newbies. The vast majority of newbs and even most established fans have an irrational dislike for old animation. For something like MSG, which aged horribly, this would be only worse. Besides, even I have problems with watching all three movies at once. Also, sci-fi was already ruled out.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • edited March 2008
    Never show Gundam to people who are new to anime and already have a negative view of it. Hell, I'M into anime and I still won't watch any Gundam because my friend kept trying to hook me on them. THREE DIFFERENT SHOWS started exactly the same way and all had a villain in a stupid mask.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • You know, I say this periodically whenever someone solicits anime advice, but a lot of these suggestions are pretty bad ideas, especially considering specifically what was asked.

For that kind of audience, with that particular mindset, it has to be a single work that can be watched completely in one sitting: a movie. It has to be something that does not include the tropes and stereotypes of "anime" or "kids' cartoons." It can't be something that starts slow, or is strange from the beginning, or otherwise is too alien for their tastes. Gundam (any Gundam) is a horrible idea, as is any entire series.

Since they need to be impressed upon with the idea that not all cartoons are for kids, we can assume a certain mindset coming in. Good but non-dark, light-hearted, or funny shows are mostly out, as is anything that, even if just on the surface, could be seen from a cursory glance as being a kids' movie.

The seriously best possible suggestions are:
    • Perfect Blue
    • Cowboy Bebop - Episode 5
  • Thank you, Rym!
    I'm now just going to have to decide if I should spend 33€ on Perfect Blue or 27€ on Cowboy Bebop Vol. 01. Thanks for all the advice.
  • Hey, but first tell us what your friends like. What live action movies are they into? There are anime chick flicks, anime action movies, anime police dramas, wacky anime comedies. It all depends on what your friend is into and then get the anime to fill the nitch. Like, say, if they like FPS games something like JinRoh, Spriggan, or Appleseed. Fantasy, go for Escaflowne or (more comedic) Ah! My Goddess. Funny college life, Honey and Clover or Nodame Cantabile. Cop Shows? You're Under Arrest. Romantic (I doubt it but) Whisper of the Heart.

I would actually debate Rym about which Satoshi Kon film to show. If they are squeamish about nudity and violence against women, steer clear of Perfect Blue. (Great movie, though) The more lighthearted Tokyo Godfathers or the excellent Millennium Actress are also viable choices.

And as always, when In doubt, Cowboy Bebop. That show has something for everybody.
  • edited March 2008
    Well then, I'll just describe what they are into further.

The one movie I know they really loved was Lucky Slevin. Although at some points quite violent it was a movie you really had to think about. I don't think a chick flick or wacky comedy is the way to go. The chick flick would be generally disliked and the wacky comedy would be put off as some "crazy Japanese shit". The only worry I have with CB is that it looks quite old, but I hope it won't turn them off. And of course that, after watching episode 5 again, the girl looks like a prostitute, which may offend the girls in the group. ;)
    As to video games, they don't really play them to often. And as to something romantic, there is at least one guy in the group who'll think of it as gay.

I guess best would be a really deep thriller. But I'm open to any other suggestions.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • edited March 2008
    Try Baccano

Mafia Violence and Intrigue in Prohibition Era New York. I've only seen a few episodes, but I think it's promising. It has some funny bits, but also some pretty gory fight scenes.

Faye looks like a hooker? Ahahaha. Bebop is still great.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • The only worry I have with CB is that it looks quite old
    Cowboy Bebop looks old? What the. It looks just like all the better shows that come out these days! Also, what about Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door? It's also very good, though lacks the huge WOW factor Cowboy Bebop episode 5 has, but is longer and might be nice if you want to show something (somewhat) complete.
    Mafia Violence and Intrigue in Prohibition Era New York. I've only seen a few episodes, but I think it's promising. It has some funny bits, but also some pretty gory fight scenes.
    It's good, but very confusing if you don't pay attention constantly about when the scene happens.