This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

First and Last Lines

edited March 2008 in Forum Game
Can you name the title of a book from its first or last line, or stump the forum?

Example:

I post:

"But I reckon I got to light oput for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally - she's going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can't stand it. I been there before."

And Jason, being clever, would correctly answer:

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain"

Or,

I post:

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."

And Jason, heedless of the boundary between being clever and showing off, would correctly answer:

"1984, by George Orwell"

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Here be an easy one: (answered correctly by Bear Police)

"There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Iluvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made."

The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Slightly harder:

"Tom Sanders never intended to be late for work on Monday, June 15."

Harder still

"I scowled at the crowd squeezed into Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium, a decaying ballpark in a grimy city."

Hardest of all (last line)

"I closed the door with a quiet hand and left him lying there, a small dusty man in a small dusty room."
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited March 2008
    HMTKsteve: first one is The Silmarillion.

"It was love at first sight. The first time he saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him."

Paraphrased.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • "It was love at first sight. The first time he saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him."

Paraphrased.
    Catch-22, by Joseph Heller
  • edited March 2008
    "One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it- it was the black kitten's fault entirely."
  • edited March 2008
    "One thing was certain, that thewhitekitten had had nothing to do with it- it was the black kitten's fault entirely."
    Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."
  • "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."
    A Tale of Two Cities.

"I still get nightmares. In fact I get them so often I should be used to them by now. I'm not. No one ever really gets used to nightmares."
  • edited March 2008
    "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."
    A Tale of Two Cities.
    Actually, that one was by Charles Dikkens, the well-known Dutch author. ;-)
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • edited March 2008
    "Have, alas! Philosophy, Medicine, Jurisprudence too, And to my cost Theology, With ardent labour, studied through. And here I stand, with all my lore, Poor fool, no wiser than before."

Edit: I bet no one will get this quote. Although it is out of one the most important books in history.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on

• "I still get nightmares. In fact I get them so often I should be used to them by now. I'm not. No one ever really gets used to nightmares."
    House of Leaves
  • Easy one:
    "On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back."
    No way I can use the last line.
  • edited March 2008
    myself: I Am Legend

Easy: "I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville. One and only one. My arrest and my testimony."

Hard: "Maybe knowing isn't the point. Where we're standing right now, in the ruins in the dark, what we build could be anything"
  • edited December 2009
    First: "A beginning is the time for taking the most delecate care that the balances are correct."
    Last: "While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine - history will call us wives."

This is an easy one.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • edited December 2009
    First: "A beginning is the time for takint the most delecate care that the balances are correct."
    Last: "While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine - history will call us wives."

This is an easy one.
    Dune, by Frank Herbert.

"In the corner of a firt-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the times."
    Post edited by Anastius on
  • edited December 2009
    "In the corner of a firt-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the times."
    A. Christie: And then there were none. (or a much more non PC name).

First, Last
    "Tell me, what is happiness?", "How would you like a proper job?"
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • "I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville. One and only one. My arrest and my testimony."
    No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy.

I'd be shocked if anyone else knew this immediately: "It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton."
  • "It was a dark and stormy night..."

Hur hur hur, I'm so clever.
  • edited December 2009
    I'd be shocked if anyone else knew this immediately: "It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton."
    The Illuminatus Trilogy.

First, Last
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Hard: "Maybe knowing isn't the point. Where we're standing right now, in the ruins in the dark, what we build could be anything"
    Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

First, Last