This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dalai Lama may 'resign'.

edited March 2008 in Politics
If you haven't been paying attention to the news there has been a bit of a commotion in Tibet. To sum it all up, a whole lot of people in Tibet have been protesting their Chinese overlords and the overlords decided to crack down since. The result is that riots have occurred in various places in Tibet and clashes between the protesters/rioters and the authorities have left people dead and injured in the streets. Because of this the Dalai Lama has publicly stated that he will resign if the violence does not stop.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Dalai Lama supposed to be a spiritual and religious leader of Buddhists that, according to Buddhist myth, is reborn whenever he dies? If so, how can he resign? Doesn't that go completely against his faith?

Comments

• I believe he's offering to resign as leader of the Tibetan government in exile.
  • If he resigns can they still hire him back in his next life?
  • NOOOOOOOOOO!
    I disheartens me to know that he is doing this. I have read a lot of books by him and have learned a lot from the Dalia Lama.
  • I believe he's offering to resign as leader of the Tibetan government in exile.
    Reread the article and one from CNN and you are correct, however the Dalai Lama has been the head of the Tibetan Government since the 17th century and has been in charge of the Central Tibetan Administration, the official name of the Tibetan government in exile, since 1959. Outside of the symbolic ramifications of this what could the political fallout be if he decides to step down?
  • Suicide, I guess?
    Reread the article and one from CNN and you are correct, however the Dalai Lama has been the head of the Tibetan Government since the 17th century and has been in charge of the Central Tibetan Administration, the official name of the Tibetan government in exile, since 1959. Outside of the symbolic ramifications of this what could the political fallout be if he decides to step down?
    Not much. His relevance is based entirely on his personal magnetism and the good photo ops he provides for leaders all over the world. Politically, he's as irrelevant as the pope. Do you think that if the pope stood aside from his role as ruler of the Vatican City (to focus all his energies on demonizing science and flagellating himself, no doubt), or if Vatican City fell into a sinkhole or something, that all of the sudden leaders would be cancelling their dinner engagements with him? No, neither do I.
  • Well he's only doing this because he doesn't want people to die. He would rather sacrifice himself than have the people who worship him die, even if they die for a righteous reason. This proves that he really is a person worth looking up to. If anyone knows of anything being done in NYC about Tibet let me know. I have no idea how to find out for myself.
  • I'm currently having fun wondering what the Dalai Lama would look like in various other jobs.
  • If anyone knows of anything being done in NYC about Tibet let me know. I have no idea how to find out for myself.
    I came out of the subway a week or so ago, and a big Tibet protest was going down the sidewalk past my office. They wanted people to boycott the olympics.
  • He would rather sacrifice himself than have the people who worship him die, even if they die for a righteous reason.
    Resigning your post, while in a comfortable self-exile is hardly a sacrifice in my book. He currently makes (and still would) a pretty hefty sum every time he speaks or makes an appearance. What is he actually doing for Tibet, other than raising global awareness?
  • I'm currently having fun wondering what the Dalai Lama would look like in various other jobs.
    Yes, he leaves his job as religious leader and moves to New York and works on Wall Street. That would be an interesting sight.
  • China oppress Tibet.
    China do stuff with Sudan not help Darfur.

Therefore, all boycott China Olympics.

Comprende?