This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080319 - Dungeon

RymRym
edited March 2008 in Manga/Comics

Comments

• Man, the podcasts have been coming out really early this week.
  • Uh, duh. Brawl is out.
  • edited March 2008
    Uh, duh. Brawl is out.
    I first thought it was because of Spring Break happening and that it might somehow affect their work days, but Smash Brothers is the most likely of situations.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • In addition to being a successful steamboat captain and children's entertainer, Mickey Mouse is also a trained pilot of pterodactyls. Since 1936 he has used these skills to fight the popularity of Japanese animation within the United States and, eventually, abroad. In 1983 he brought the fight directly to his opponents front door with the opening of Tokyo Disneyland. In addition to this Mickey Mouse successfully captured the enemy strongholds of Marne-la-Vallée, France and Penny's Bay, Lantau Island, Hong Kong in 2002 and 2005 respectively.

However the conflict seems to be turning against Mickey Mouse. In the early 2000’s the Japanese animation industry launched the double entente of Naruto and Bleach against Mickey’s’ stronghold in North America, the USA. Despite stalling tactics, the tenacity of his elite shock troops the Mouseketeers, and the sacrifice of good friends Donald Duck and Goofy, Mickey seems to be loosing ground against the ‘Narutards’.

All signs point towards the final downfall of Mickey Mouse, yet fate and luck are fickle mistresses. The Japanimation Invasion may soon be on its heels as stories of the forced revival of the ‘Old Guard’ are coming out of the Magic Kingdom almost daily. Perhaps soon Mickey will succeed in his campaign to crush the only opposition he has to complete and total control of the animation industry.
  • I first thought it was because of Spring Break happening and that it might somehow affect their work days, but Smash Brothers is the most likely of situations.
    Spring break does not have any effect on work. Welcome to the real world.
  • Spring break does not have any effect on work. Welcome to the real world.
    Nor does summer, weather, or most holidays.
  • I don't understand this need among animation fans to see American animation and Japanese anime as directly opposed. They are just different and you can like both for different reasons. That said...OMG propaganda! Momotaro vs. Mickey Mouse = Complete Insanity! Muwahaha!
  • Spring break does not have any effect on work. Welcome to the real world.
    Nor does summer, weather, or most holidays.
    Unless you "work" for the State.
  • Unless you "work" for the State.
    You must mean for those who work for places that have Spring Break.
  • Teachers are technically state workers and they get Spring break and summers off. That isn't what I really mean. If I (lab tech) took all the time off I right now, and I have not been saving my time. I could take about 7 weeks off. During that time I would get about another 3.5 days off. The max saved time off is about 1500 hours. That is forty 37.5hr weeks off. 1200 sick/300 vacation, and you get personal time, floater holidays and ever flippen day off you could imagine. Even Election Day if you can play it right. I know people who have to take time of before they loose it. It's kind of scarey. Also if you work a 40hr week. You get 2.5 hours of comp time instead of Overtime pay... State "work" has it's perks. Time off is one of them.
  • I understand that teachers are state workers, however not all state workers get affected by Spring Break. That's the point I was trying to convey.

I understand about accrued leave. I am a government worker. Depending upon your time in service, you earn certain amounts of Annual Leave, which starts at 4 hours to 8 hours each pay period along with Sick Leave of 4 hours. You can carry over sick leave to the next calendar year, however with Annual Leave you can only carry over so much.

Right now I earn 6 hours of Annual Leave a pay period. In a calendar year I earn 156 hours of Annual Leave and 104 hours of Sick Leave. We get ALL holidays off. Lately we've also been getting Christmas Eve off as well too. We also can work extra hours to go towards time off than overtime. I'm currently doing that so I can save my Annual Leave for better things.

I understand what you are saying that we all could have Spring Breaks, however I like taking a few days off every now and then. Unless I have something planned in advance, I normally don't take a whole week off.

Government work, especially where I work has it's perks. When we do well in for our billing numbers we get an extra hour off of work. Whenever there is a holiday that falls near the weekend, our supervisors will let us out a hour or so early to enjoy the long weekends. During the holidays, I have the freedom to switch my workdays from 5 8 hour days to 4 10 hour days. With that, I get the Fridays off and most of the holidays fall on Thursdays, so then I get a 4 day weekend instead of a 3 day weekend. Our facility encourages its employees to go out for walks, so two times a week a few coworkers and myself go walking for almost an hour at times. We work next to a lake with a golf course, so the walks are very enjoyable to take. We can do this without having to take any time off, so we get paid to exercise.

I could go on, but as for Spring Break. I had no idea it was even here. The only thing I notice is there are more punk kids out and about. :P
  • edited March 2008
    Loved the 1936 animation. I wasn't expecting Mickey Mouse...at all.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • What about that Utena movie AMV?
  • What about that Utena movie AMV?
    I believe this is the one that Rym was talking about.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2009
    New Dungeon Zenith coming next month. Amazon says it's April, but the publisher says February. Don't know which, but I'll preorder it and it'll come when it comes. The best thing is, is that there is no more focus on stupid Dungeon Twilight. 'nuff said
    Post edited by Geo on
  • New Dungeon Zenith coming next month. Amazon says it's April, but the publisher says February. Don't know which, but I'll preorder it and it'll come when it comes. The best thing is, is that there is no more focus on stupid Dungeon Twilight.'nuff said
    They've got a booth at NYCC, so I'll be sure to check with them.
  • New Dungeon Zenith coming next month. Amazon says it's April, but the publisher says February. Don't know which, but I'll preorder it and it'll come when it comes. The best thing is, is that there is no more focus on stupid Dungeon Twilight.'nuff said
    They've got a booth at NYCC, so I'll be sure to check with them.
    As will I.
  • Well I was surfing Amazon looking at my comics list and I found out something that I really don't know how I should feel about. I share Scrym's sentiments about how Early Years really didn't have anything to do with Dungeon (don't get me started with Twilight), but I have found that a Volume 2 of Early Years will be coming out in October. I really don't know how I should feel about this as Early Years wasn't terribly interesting, but I have hope since it might shed some light as to how the Dungeon was constructed and it might be awesome. The verdict is still out in my buying it, but I might do it.