This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The 60s Thread, Goddammit

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
This really plumbs the depth of my memory, but I remember when Lost In Space, Hogan's Heroes, Mission Impossible, and Star Trek were new. I watched the first episode of Sesame Street as it was originally braodcast. I remember a big deal being made about Sgt. Pepper, but my parents wouldn't let me listen to it. I remember a big deal being made about Yellow Submarine, but my parents wouldn't let me watch it. I did get to see Elvis movies, though. I knew they sucked even then.

I remember the original Spiderman and Fantastic Four cartoons and the Marvel cartoons that were basically just Kirby art from the comics that wobbled around the screen.

I remember Goldwater, LBJ, MLK, RFK, and Nixon. I remember Tet. That was a catastrophe that shook people up even in small town KY. I also remember most of the Gemini missions and all of the Apollo missions.

Comments

• You realize, of course, that you're old enough to be my father?
    edited March 2008
    Papa?

j/k. Question though Hungryjoe. How can you be so old, yet seem (relatively) so awesome? Just like Thead, what's your secret? I wish to know it and perhaps apply it when I grow older.
    Post edited by ... on
  • How can you be so old, yet seem (relatively) so awesome?
    I have my own Lazarus Pit.
  • So, Um, how 'bout them hippies? Woodstock eh? Vietnam was apparently a bitch I hear.
  • Those original Marvel cartoons were always the best. The villains were always so obvious in what they were doing and it usually consisted of committing a robbery.

As for the music of the day. A lot of it is just too pretentious for me.
  • edited March 2008
    I'm beginning to think that the Apollo missions were the high-water mark for the U.S., the zenith of its power and prestige. Everything has been steadily going downhill since then.
    So, Um, how 'bout them hippies? Woodstock eh? Vietnam was apparently a bitch I hear.
    There was also the Monterey Pop Festival, which was cool and then Altamont, which definitely wasn't. I remember Altamont being on the news.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited March 2008
    You realize, of course, that you're old enough to bemyfather?
    Maybe that's why you disappoint me so.
  • edited March 2008
    My only connection to the 60's is 101 Dalmatians (1961), The Sword in the Stone (1963), The Jungle Book (1967), Mary Poppins (1964), the opening of Pirates of the Caribbean (1967) and the Haunted Mansion (1969), and the death of my hero.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • jccjcc
    edited March 2008
    I love 60s TV shows! (Mostly I blame Nick-at-Nite). Gilligan's Island, Lost in Space, I Dream of Jeannie, the Dick Van Dyke Show, Bewitched, Get Smart... good times.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Oh, 1960s! I thought you meant the 60s, as in 60 A.D.
  • Papa?

j/k. Question though Hungryjoe. How can you be so old, yet seem (relatively) so awesome? Just like Thead, what's your secret? I wish to know it and perhaps apply it when I grow older.
    Ah, I got called awesome in someone else's thread. :)

The question is really: "why don't we grow up and start acting our age?" ;)
  • Gilligan's Island.
    My fave show from that era.
  • edited March 2008
    Favourite thing to come out of the 60s, entertainment-wise, would have to be The Prisoner. "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Oh Patrick McGoohan, you tried so hard to be deep. ;)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I just started reading "What They Didn't Teach You About the 60s". It is a neat book. My father, who actually lived through the 60s and was quite aware for the majority of the era (he was hippie, so some days are a bit hazy) and is a history buff, said he learned a few things. Its appeal spans the generations, so pick it up if you have even a passing interest in the decade.
  • edited March 2008
    Gilligan's Island.
    My fave show from that era.
    A couple of other good ones I thought about last night: The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Wild, Wild West.
    Papa?

Ah, I got called awesome in someone else's thread. :)

The question is really: "why don't we grow up and start acting our age?" ;)
    It helps not to have kids. I think kids age a person quite a bit.
  • I have two kids and they are wonderful.

I don't think people can help the way that they are.
  • This is some DEEP thread necromancy.
  • I'll post this here, cause it hasn't come up before and it's cool. My grandfather was a journalist who in 1968 returned from spending The Summer of Love in Haight-Ashbury to his position at a newspaper in Chicago. He was even sent to cover the infamous DNC '68, from which he kept and gave me this:

Legend goes that this same pass was used to sneak Pigasus The Immortal into the DNC. We may never know the truth of that claim, as Abbie Hoffman has been dead for thirty years, but Nick's ties to Alinsky and his Christmas card from the Chicago Seven prove that it's at least plausible.