This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott would care about politics if they brought back the draft.

edited March 2008 in Flamewars
It seems that Scott's principle point is that national politics do not impact his immediate life experience. However, this just shows how far we've come. During LBJ's presidency, we had national conscription. If we had the draft today, both R&S would have to do some fancy footwork or both of them would be in Iraq. The potential for conscription alone should put national politics on Scott's radar.

Comments

• Maybe that's why young people don't vote, we haven't had any of these national issues in the country that really affect them unlike what you had in the 60's and 70's. Now if we only had someone like Asami from Sanctuary.
  • Maybe that's why young people don't vote, we haven't had any of these national issues in the country that really affect them unlike what you had in the 60's and 70's. Now if we only had someone like Asami from Sanctuary.
    I think one of the reasons we don't see a large number of young voters is due to a belief that they can't make a difference. Who honestly thinks that the Congress truly listens to the people? The state the US is in breeds pessimism.

When I voted in Texas, I noticed that it was mostly the elderly who came out to vote. I asked them why they voted, and they said they were concerned about taxes and social security. Unless you have a situation that affects them directly (i.e. the draft), I don't think the young are going to bother. If you believe you can't make a difference, why make an effort?
  • I'd vote in the primaries, but the Republicans are already decided.
  • Well, Scott, like a lot of people, thinks about politics without thinking. Has he ever had any opinion about the way any service, such as the police, waste disposal or postal service operate? Even if you don't include politicians in your thoughts or what they do, you are still thinking about politics.
  • I'm 17, and I voted in the primaries this year (you're allowed to if you'll be 18 by the general election, so yay).

There actually ARE issues I care about, albeit small ones.

Net neutrality? Hillary and Obama are both pro net neutrality. Mccain is still for net neutrality, but he's views towards it seem a little shady to me ("let's see how this works out"....yeah, that never ends well).
    The war? Even though it really isn't really affecting me directly, I still care about it.
    The economy? Well, in less than 8 years (assuming whoever gets elected this year gets re-elected), I'll be looking for serious careers, so fuck yeah this affects me.
    Minimum wage? Hilary and Obama want to raise it, Mccain doesn't. Yep, when I'm looking for cheap jobs to work when I'm in college, this will have an effect on me.
    Abortion? I am pro-choice, and so is Obama. Works for me.
    Stem Cell research? Democrats are for it. Mccain just said "I don't think it matters if the US sanctions it or not".

So all in all, with the stuff that I at least do care about, the democrats are ahead, IMO.
    I voted for Obama, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to me if Hilary gets elected, either.