This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Mist (movie) - did it remind you of anything? (SPOILERS)

edited March 2008 in Movies
So I finally watched this move last night. Now after it is revealed that the military was experimenting on opening a door to another dimension and the disaster was result of this, I couldn't help but think of Half-Life. With all the strange insect and crab like things that came through the portal I was half expecting to see some combine soldiers or Vortigans walk by.

This also made me think that they could easily make a good half-life movie without including Gordon Freeman. They could follow a group of people that are hiding from the head-crabs and combine as they appear in the towns and cities around the world. If they wanted to include Gordon he could be a secondary character that is assisted by the main characters for a short time in the movie.

Any thoughts or insights?

Comments

• A Half-Life movie? Well it can't star Gordon Freeman, the guy can't speak, which in turn will lead to a meh story, for what is Half-Life without Gordon Freeman?
  • A Half-Life movie? Well it can't star Gordon Freeman, the guy can't speak, which in turn will lead to a meh story, for what is Half-Life without Gordon Freeman?
    It's the whole universe. I think it could be a great movie...it might even work best as a TV series. All it would have to do is follow a group of survivors and include camoes of characters from the games. This is likely what the new Star Wars TV show will do when it comes out.
  • what is Half-Life without Gordon Freeman?
    Half-Life: Blue shift
    Exactly...and who do we see making cameos? Gordon Freeman!
  • I just beat Half-Life: Opposing Force yesterday. It's just more of Half-Life 1 with more shooting and less Half-Lifeing.
  • It did seem very HL-esque to me when I saw it also, apart from the mist itself. It did have the half-life "feel" to it also, especially when they went next door with all the spiders. The ending was great to me, but the fact that it seemed like the military had no problem thwarting the aliens... and the mist cleared pretty quickly.

A HL movie could be made without Gordon, heck, maybe having a movie made based around Barney (or whoever) who talks about Gordon and the legend of the last "free man" (as well as them hearing things he does on the radio or TV) would, maybe, be a better movie.

I wished they had explored the world a little more, especially with the GIANT walking thing they saw near the end. That was a very "Whoa, cool!" moment.
  • I agree, I wish the world outside was explored more. That giant thing was awesome, as was the crab thing that attacked when they went to the truck.
    True, but hardly as great as Half-Life. While Blue Shift is fun, it's not great, awfully short and Gordon Freeman appears in it, (SPOILER) TWICE! (/SPOILER)

I wouldn't call that "Without Gordon Freeman" by a long stretch.
  • edited March 2008
    But can you describe what kind of character Gordon Freeman is (without using the word quite or silent)? and would you really notice if they swapped him for someone else? The only way you ever learn about his character is through other characters talking about him.
    Post edited by Omnutia on