This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Planetside

RymRym
edited June 2006 in Video Games
A little while back Scott reviewed Planetside. Well, our resident Planetside player recorded a nice rebuttal that you'll probably hear next Tuesday. Just a heads up. ^_^

We would have had it today, but we never actually set up a trivial way for people to send us large files. Some sort of server will be forthcoming for future audio submissions.

Comments

• Actually, I just started playing Planetside, just to see how much Scott exaggerated the flaws of the game.

I've only just started, but I can say that the wait times are pretty standard for changing maps. 3~4 min in total from when I open the PS shortcut to when I'm able to move about. To qualify this, I have 512 MB of RAM, I have Steam, Skype, Gaim, and AVG running in the background.
  • For me, the times were more like 10 minutes. But even 3-4 minutes is a century. Heck, 30 seconds is too long. 10 seconds is about as long as I'm willing to tolerate. Bomberman DS is almost intolerable with its unskippable intro movie.
  • Then what about the load times for maps in games like CS, DoD, and Natural Selection? Those also take up to about a minute.
  • A minute? The only time I have long load times for Half-Life 1 based games is if there are files to download from the server. Half-Life 2 has some loading time issues, but they make it less annoying. What they do is have short loading times every so often throughout the game instead of an intolerably long loading time at the beginning. It's actually good because it provides a much needed break from long play sessions. I'll have to get my stopwatch when I get home.
  • Also keep in mind that the load time in the beginning is the program itself starting up as well. Admittedly, it could be faster, but I haven't done any testing to see if the slowness is due to the program itself, or because of limited system resources.
  • Planetside 2 is coming out in March. Much excite.
    A couple of different sources have now contacted us to confirm that the unrevealed Planetside sequel/remake Planetside Next will support “thousands” of players across the battlefield, in a manner similar to the original. Given the appearance of a couple of different images based on models from vehicles appearing in the old game, it looks like Planetside Next will be a straight-up remake of the original concept, albeit it with a different balance, as apparently the Galaxy (pictured) will play an even more important role in the game this time around.

Another source suggests that the game will be scaled to support “low-end” machines as old as six years. (So by implication pixel shader 3.0 cards and higher.) The game will apparently be launching in March, with a beta starting next month. We are going to be all over this.
  • edited January 2011
    I am trying very, very had not to nerd out about this. Very hard.
    Planetside was glorious in the first 1/3rd of it's life, and playing with Sturmgrenadier was easily one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had. The game got all ruinated by repeated nerfings and massive balance issues due to whining on their forums, but for those who remember the glory days, it was amazing.
    Also, the new graphic for the Galaxy dropship was sexy.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I'm hooking back up with Sturmgrenadier for this, and have been told that they are almost guaranteed beta slots. I'm giddy.
  • FUCK YES, PLANETSIDE 2
  • Planetside 2 is coming out in March.
    heh
  • I think the video is cool, but my response to some of the stuff mentioned in the FanFaire leaves me skeptical.
    I do not like the idea of Offline Time Unlock Skill Advancement. That sounds like EVE Online to me, and I hated the way that worked. If there end up being micro-transactions at all, I'll likely bail on the entire game.
    I also don't really like the idea of classes. Planetside's 'make your own' class system was the best, because it allowed you maximum flexibility in your load-outs.
    Outfit bases make me happy.
    Resources/resource management makes me skeptical.
    Time will tell.
  • Vast tracts of rolling hills.. no-one skiing :(.
  • Were you expecting Tribes 2?
  • SO excited for this.
  • edited September 2011
    Planetside 2 will be F2P.
    Holy shit. I didn't see that coming. As long as they keep it far far away from "free-to-play, pay-to-win", this is very enticing.
    EDIT: The actual section from the article.
    Don’t Sell Power-ups

Now that it has been announced that Planetside 2 will be free-to-play, SOE has to make the players a promise.

Under no circumstances can they sell players anythingthat gives them an advantage over anyone else.

Clothes? Armor? Titles? Sure. New skins? Go at it. Bonuses, though? No way.

The idea of the free-to-play MMO actually scares me for that very reason. I’m terrified that the developers will eventually have to cave in, selling powerful weapons and ammo in order to milk the playerbase.

While such moves might make SOE money in the short-term, they would ultimately limit the appeal of the game, not to mention completely neuter any hopes of a balanced atmosphere. Without a doubt, players who couldn’t afford (or justify purchasing) virtual weapons would be forced to quit – not to mention the stigma it would create.

Eventually, the game would boil down between a limited few who were willing to throw their money at a digital battlefield. It’d be a ghost town.

I simply cannot see a game succeeding with a “free-to-play, pay-to-win” model, especially not a game like Planetside. A twitch based shooter would suffer heavily from such a system, as it would completely devalue the competitive side of the game – an important part for many people, myself included.
    EDIT2: I just re-read the first post in this thread...did you guys ever post the rebuttal?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • did you guys ever post the rebuttal?
    Of course not. Don't you know that Rym has to keep justifying his purchases of new Shit-Talk lists? He has to use the previous ones up first you know.
  • did you guys ever post the rebuttal?
    Of course not. Don't you know that Rym has to keep justifying his purchases of new Shit-Talk lists? He has to use the previous ones up first you know.
    I worked hard on that recording too...
  • HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK
  • Planetside 2 is coming out in March.
    heh
    heh
  • edited May 2012
    [gear video]
    >tri-plated shinguards
    >over cargo pants

NOW THIS IS PATHFINDING!!!1!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I really need a beta key...
  • If I could help, I would. :\
  • Yeah, I'm also waiting on the beta key.