This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SALT

edited June 2006 in Everything Else
From Farytales.com

The Devil, or evil spirits, will be lurking behind you on the left side. Salt is sacred and wards off evil. If you spill salt, you've desecrated something holy, and you must pick it up with your 'good' hand (right) and throw it over your left shoulder to blind the Devil/evil spirits so that they cannot take the opportunity to do you harm.

Also salt was seen as 'pure' simply becuase it was the white-est stuff around. Oh and they used to throw salt (not rice) at weddings.

Comments

• Several other sites have this quote:

The Devil, or evil spirits, will be lurking behind you on the left side. Salt is sacred and wards off evil. If you spill salt, you've desecrated something holy, and you must pick it up with your 'good' hand (right) and throw it over your left shoulder to blind the Devil/evil spirits so that they cannot take the opportunity to do you harm.
  • An interesting read off of Morton's website:

http://www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/about_us/history/index.htm
  • Yep, that's where that comes from.
  • Salt tastes better in the mouth than over your shoulder.
  • The preferred method of containing this holy compound.
  • Yeah, Scott, that's most certainly superstition and you most certainly suck for that. On the other hand, Rym, dandelions are most certainly NOT FOOD.
  • I already told you, it's not superstition. There are no such thing as demons, nor will there be any supernatural consequences due to salt throwing or lack thereof. It's just a tradition/habit.
  • Alright, so why do you do it? It's a silly tradition, right? If you think so, then just stop doing it.
  • Why should I? If I like doing something, if I want to do something, if it makes me happy, do I need another reason to do it? Do I need to explain myself when I scratch an itch? Think of all the things you do simply because you enjoy them, or because they make you feel comfortable. Stop doing all those things. Why put effort into breaking a relatively harmless habit? That effort can be put toward much better things, like breaking harmful habits.
  • What if there was a slug behind you? HOW FUCKING HARMLESS IS THAT HUH?!

:P
  • edited June 2006
    Anything is edible, Trogdor.

willy wonka
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • What if there was a slug behind you? HOW FUCKING HARMLESS IS THAT HUH?!
    If I knew the slug was there, I would salt in on purpose. If it gets salted accidentally, Darwin. Mayhaps this habit does have one advantage. If slugs are smart, they might stay away.
  • Why should I? If I like doing something, if I want to do something, if it makes me happy, do I need another reason to do it? Do I need to explain myself when I scratch an itch? Think of all the things you do simply because you enjoy them, or because they make you feel comfortable. Stop doing all those things. Why put effort into breaking a relatively harmless habit? That effort can be put toward much better things, like breaking harmful habits.
    I think it's a logical fallacy to do this, but whatever.
    You're right, you have no obligation to, nor can you be forced to, defend your own choices. However, I am the type of person who can, and will, defend everything I ever say or do. If I can't defend it, I probably shouldn't be saying it or doing it. Saying you don't have to defend yourself looks to me like a cover up. It's something people say when they can't defend themselves, and won't admit wrong doing. If you can defend your choice, why choose not to? If you confront me on why I like something, why I said something or why I do something, I'll always come out with it. If i can't, then I can only admit that I did wrong or admit I sucked.
    That second quote is taken from you, from the geek culture debate thread.

OK, explain.
  • Meh, I say cut the guy a break. I know this is all good natured ribbing here but while the habit definately did begin as a cultural superstition it's continued use is largely nothing more than habbit. My girlfriend and recently pointed out that according to astrologers somewhere on the internets our signs aren't compatable. We laughed about it, but we aren't going to suddenly stop associating with one another because of it. The fact that she looked up such a thing for whatever reason doesn't mean that she necessarily subscribes to the literal superstition. It's just something she, me, Scott, and everyone else does for the hell of it. Reading a fortune cookie, tossing salt, avoiding walking under ladders (although the last one can keep you out of genutine danger) doesn't mean that you think the world is going to end if you do(n't) do something. It's just the cultural meme that we all share
  • I think I did a pretty successful job of defending my choice. I haven't done anything bad, and I don't believe anything false.

Besides, there really isn't anything for me to defend against. Give me some offense to block here. What's wrong with playing with salt?
  • You're wasting a resource. ^_~

What if my tradition was to, every time I spilled some food, throw away all of the food in our house?
  • As an aside, we rag on Scott a lot for this mostly just because he's so cynical and skeptical about everything else in the world other than his salt. I leave wine in my glass for the faeries whenever I drink, so I'm certainly not the one to throw stones (or salt) here.
  • Fruitcake.
  • Fruitcake?
  • Yes....fruitcake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitcakes

"banned on airplanes. Due to their density, it is possible for a weapon to be baked inside the cake to avoid detection.

Fruitcake is also used, especially in the United Kingdom and the United States, as insulting slang for a 'crazy person' (e.g. "he's a complete fruitcake"). It is derived from the expression "nutty as a fruitcake", which was first recorded in 1935"
  • I don't give a crap what obsessive compulsive behaviors you guys have as long as you keep doing the show.
  • Ah, I thought there was some kind of crazy tradition/habit/superstition involving fruitcake. Little did I know we'd resorted to namecalling ;-D

I'm with EKM: keep up the show and we'll be happy. Point of fact, keep up the wacky behaviors too because the random arguments about some mundane thing are one of the best bits.
  • edited June 2006
    Dude you guys have done it. You've made complete strangers listen to you despite knowing about your batty shit crazy superstitious habits.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Mine isn't superstition so much as an affectation from my youth. ^_~
  • Faeries are an affectation of your youth?

Please, tell me this story. XD
  • Yeah whatever, Faerie boy ^_^