This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Colour of Magic (TV)

edited March 2008 in Movies
I was just browsing eztv.it for a bit and found out that there had been a TV adaptation of The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

There's a digg of some review of it here (sadly only 1 digg, surely that must be repaired).

For anyone who hasn't read any of Terry Pratchett's work, READ IT!!

Anyway, I think I'm highly likely to torrent this and have a watch. If anyone has already seen it their comments would be great, but the review linked on digg suggests that it's awesome.

EDIT (Some additional info):
There's a nice theatrical trailer on YouTube.
Supposedly it's better than the earlier adaptation of Hogfather, so even if you didn't like that one, don't worry.
I want to hear from more people, but you'll all probably hear from me soon enough anyways ;)

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Not bad. Almost makes me wish I got TV/Satellite channels from across the pond. I did notice something that was out of sorts with the books, though. Any fan of Pterry's work knows that Twoflower was from the Agatean empire and should appear Asian. The actor playing Rincewind looked a bit older than I would expect, but looked like he was pulling it off quite well. Also, that sounded like Christopher Lee as Death. Mad props to the producers for that bit of casting!

[[edit - found it on The 'Bay. Let's hear it for bittorrent!]]
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • On the topic of Mr. Pratchett, he was recently diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's, BoingBoing article here.
    Sorry to bring the conversation down like this, but I hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere. Needless to say I'm a huge fan of his work.
  • On the topic of Mr. Pratchett, he was recently diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's, BoingBoing articlehere.
    Sorry to bring the conversation down like this, but I hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere. Needless to say I'm a huge fan of his work.
    This news was previously posted here.
  • This news was previously postedhere.
    I still don't understand why that would be that guy's "thing of the day".
  • This news was previously postedhere.
    I still don't understand why that would be that guy's "thing of the day".
    I guess he just really dislikes Terry Pratchett.
  • Well, while Rym and Scott's "Things of the Day" tend to be of the awesome variety, even a sad thing is still a thing, and if it's very sad then is it not also a "Thing of the Day"?

I would've already seen this by now if not for the fact that I left uTorrent limited on speed (I don't even know why :S)
  • Well, while Rym and Scott's "Things of the Day" tend to be of the awesome variety, even a sad thing is still a thing, and if it's very sad then is it not also a "Thing of the Day"?
    I think the awesomeness aspect is core to the "Thing of the Day" concept. And someone getting a disease is not awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    Not bad. Almost makes me wish I got TV/Satellite channels from across the pond.
    No you don't, British TV is much like your given carnivorous plant, lased with tempting articles like your Doctor Whos and Mighty Booshs [sic] but the second you set foot, it grabs you, shoves you down it's throat and forces you to strew in the stomach, being intellectually broken down by acid that is Big Brother, X-Factor and I'm a attention whore celebrity, get me more money out of here.

That's my comparison and I'm sticking with it.

Also, Cowboy Bebop kills any channel that dares to air it, it's already claimed two victims.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Meh, that's why I support only picking specific shows to watch, from wherever I want, whenever I want.
    In particular, here in Australia that's a lot to ask for :P
    While the only model to support this at the moment is that of illegal torrenting, it needn't be...
  • No you don't, British TV is much like your given carnivorous plant...
    Hence the "almost" in my original post. Sturgeon's Law remains in effect regardless of the topic at hand. For every decent show we get here in the 'States we get a whole slew of crap like America's Next top Model or some other "Reality Show" tripe. Quite often it's the good/halfway decent stuff that gets buried because it doesn't have mass-market appeal, or it gets relegated to being an also-ran on the Sci-Fi channel. I'd just like to be able to see some of the good stuff that the UK produces in its first run instead of having to wait and see if it'll turn up over here (e.g. Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere was originally run in '96 on BBC2 but didn't show up state-side in a legit format until A&E; released it on DVD in '03.)
  • I've seen it now, though I delayed posting about it for a bit long methinks.

It's great stuff. Not as good as the book itself, but the book would be a rather harsh standard to meet.

Some have had qualms with Rincewind's age and Twoflower's nationality, but I think both Davind Jason and Sean Astin did great in those roles. The Patrician's speaking voice put me off a bit, but then you realise that it only makes it work better after you listen to the content. Trymon is really annoying, but it is likey that was the intent.

By far my favourite character of the lot was Galder Weatherwax I'd say though.

The voice of Christopher Lee Roth as Death was also just awesome.