This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buying Shoes Online

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Shoes are one of the remaining things I must buy in a retail store. I just have to try them on. Shoes are fickle. If I'm going to wear them for a year or more, they better be comfortable. Screwing up my feet is bad news.

However, I hate buying shoes. It's such a pain in the ass. The stores have so little selection. They often don't have every size in stock. I always end up having to go to multiple stores. One of the few things I have to buy at retail is also one of the most painful things to buy at retail.

So I'm going to try buying shoes online. I know I'm a size 12. Anyone else ever bought shoes online? Is it easy to return them if they don't fit? Any tips?

Comments

• edited March 2008
    I've never had any trouble with shoes online or through catalogs except for Lands' End. Lands' End shoes are usually very uncomfortable for me. It's odd because I really like everything else they sell.

That being said, I think LL Bean is the best deal on shoes. They don't have a tremendous selection, but you can send them back at almost any point for a refund. Or at least you used to be able to do that. I hope they haven't changed.

Try Merrells or Skechers. They're usually pretty nice.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Awww, but I thought you loved shoe shopping. But I see. You needed to find the PERFECT shoes that were, like, oh my Gawd, just the right style for you. Need 'em to match the purse?

(Sigh...This joke is getting tired.)
  • Since I really like wearing slip on vans (most comfortable shoes ever) it's easy for me to buy them online. Since they are all exactly the same except for their design I can just scroll through and pick out the ones I like. If I feel my feet have grown, I just order half a size larger.
  • The only experience I have with internet shoe purchasing is my super high-tech, hiking boots that I buy from Cabelas. I had trouble wit the 1st couple pairs but that was because I bought the wrong size. Hiking boots fit funny, you have to go like one and a half sizes big.
  • Trythese.
    *Shudder* Those are ugly, and expensive (50 fucking dollars? You've gotta be kidding me).

Anyways, yeah I know what you mean. When I was shoe shopping a few weeks ago, I ended up having to go to 2 or 3 stores, since one store would be too expensive, one wouldn't have anything in my size, etc.

I haven't tried buying online, though. My friend got shoes online from Onmyodo and it worked out well for him. Their shoes are a too expensive for me, though....
  • I haven't tried buying online, though. My friend got shoes online fromOnmyodoand it worked out well for him. Their shoes are a too expensive for me, though....
    They always try to sell those things at anime conventions. I'm not a fan.

Meanwhile, I'm looking online, even at popular shoe sites like Zappos the prices are crazy! I can go to Kohl's or Bob's and get the shoes for less than 50% of what they are charging.
  • I find shoe shopping on the internet to be like any other sort of clothes shopping on the internet. Actual size of clothes in my experience varies from manufacturer to manufacture, so you need to stick with brands you already have and know fit properly. If you're looking to try out a new brand or style, you should really try it on in person.
  • edited March 2008
    I find shoe shopping on the internet to be like any other sort of clothes shopping on the internet. Actual size of clothes in my experience varies from manufacturer to manufacture, so you need to stick with brands you already have and know fit properly. If you're looking to try out a new brand or style, you should really try it on in person.
    As I said.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited March 2008
    Meanwhile, I'm looking online, even at popular shoe sites likeZapposthe prices are crazy! I can go to Kohl's or Bob's and get the shoes for less than 50% of what they are charging.
    The shoes I'm wearing right now come from eBay. eBay is good for shoes. They're not all used and they're not all factory seconds. You just have to be patient and be ready to pounce on a bargain.
    Trythese.
    *Shudder* Those are ugly, and expensive (50 fucking dollars? You've gotta be kidding me).
    I thought you would like those. They combine all the best parts of Crocs and boat shoes.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Trythese.
    I thought you would like those. They combine all the best parts of Crocs and boat shoes.
    Those shoes should die in a fire.
  • Trythese.
    Those shoes should die in a fire.
    Word. Even if Crocs were free they would still be too expensive.
  • What kind of shoes are you looking for? What's the price range you want?

Stores like Macy's have really great sales and that's where I usually buy my shoes. You can also try Payless if you want cheap shoes. Surplus deparment stores like Filene's basement are also good for deals too.