This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Puppies!

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Ipsa and Nova at the FDR Memorial (FDR is their favorite President):

Ipsa and Nova with Fala, FDR's dog:

Ipsa and Nova back home:

Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I love poodles! They are funny and smart. You have any funny poodle stories?
  • edited March 2008
    I love poodles! They are funny and smart. You have any funny poodle stories?
    One time Nova, the black dog, was playing with her Kong and allowed it to bounce under the plastic cover over a heat register. She didn't really know what to do. She just stood and stared at it. Ipsa, the white dog, was walking back from her water dish and saw that Nova was staring at the cover over the heat register. Ipsa looked at Nova. Nova looked at Ipsa. Ipsa looked at the Kong under the plastic cover. Ipsa knelt down, grabbed the Kong with her front teeth and dragged it out from under the plastic cover. She then set it on the floor in front of Nova. She then walked back to her couch, jumped up on it, and started to nap.

I watched all this happening. It would be really hard to convince me that there was not communication happening on some level here. Ipsa had no plans on playing with the Kong. She only retrieved it because she saw that Nova didn't know how to retrieve it.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • One time Nova, the black dog, was playing with her Kong and allowed it to bounce under the plastic cover over a heat register. She didn't really know what to do. She just stood and stared at it. Ipsa, the white dog, was walking back from her water dish and saw that Nova was staring at the cover over the heat register. Ipsa looked at Nova. Nova looked at Ipsa. Ipsa looked at the Kong under the plastic cover. Ipsa knelt down, grabbed the Kong with her front teeth and dragged it out from under the plastic cover. She then set it on the floor in front of Nova. She then walked back to her couch, jumped up on it, and started to nap.

I watched all this happening. It would be really hard to convince me that there was not communication happening on some level here. Ipsa had no plans on playing with the Kong. She only retrieved it because she saw that Nova didn't know how to retrieve it.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww
  • Is this the right place to post the addorable dogs?

• I still prefer kittens to puppies.

I'm sure we can agree that puppies and kittens wrestling is the uber-cuteness.
  • Flemish Giant Rabbits. That is all.

• You have no idea how obsessed I am with those rabbits. I have fantasies about sitting on the couch with one and watching totoro, like my film teacher did with his flemish giant.

Damn North Korea! You suck! That guy gave you a present and you eated it. (Well, they were supposed to be for a humanely raised meat breeding program to help the poor with food shortages, but the high ranking officials ate the rabbits as soon as they came into the country! I am like okay, you can feed the starving peasants with cute rabbit, but damn commie leaders!)

• Damn North Korea! You suck! That guy gave you a present and you eated it. (Well, they were supposed to be for a humanely raised meat breeding program to help the poor with food shortages, but the high ranking officials ate the rabbits as soon as they came into the country! I am like okay, you can feed the starving peasants with cute rabbit, but damn commie leaders!)
    I maded a bunie for you but I eated it?
  • You have no idea how obsessed I am with those rabbits. I have fantasies about sitting on the couch with one and watching totoro, like my film teacher did with his flemish giant.
    I can't get one in Australia, Sadly, because we've got some goddamn strict Quarantine laws (Its illegal to own even normal sized rabbits, and scientists down here specially developed a disease to kill them, to quell the literal horde of rabbits. We even have a Massive Rabbit proof fence in western Australia, with the primary section crossing western Australia from north to south) But I will be traveling to the UK with my girlfriend soon, and pretty much the moment I touch down, I have a list of things to do -
    1)Buy a shit-ton of Dr Pepper(I can't get it in Australia, except for insane prices, since the main distributor down here, Shweppes, Stopped importing the stuff.)
    2)Get my CBT and a motorbike
    3)Get a Flemish Giant Rabbit.
    3.5)Possibly ride around some with the rabbit on the back of my bike, just to freak some people out.
    4)Get a Munchkin Cat. They're the Dachshund of the Feline world. The debate about the possibility of calling it "Longcat" is still up in the air.
  • Yeah, rabbits cause a lot of trouble in Australia, because they are "illegal aliens" to the continent. Whoever put the rabbits there was even dumber than the Englishman who put the starlings in America, because he wanted "All the birds mentioned in Shakespeare to live in the New World"

So because of the rabbit ban and the myxamatosis, I'd have a tough time living in in Australia. I think I could grow to have a fondness for kangaroos and wallabies though. They are kind of like dograbbitdeer.
  • So because of the rabbit ban and the myxamatosis, I'd have a tough time living in in Australia. I think I could grow to have a fondness for kangaroos and wallabies though. They are kind of like dograbbitdeer.
    I think that I would be fine with a Koala. They are absolutely adorable. Of course, I wouldn't want to leave my rabbit, so maybe not.
  • They are kind of like dograbbitdeer.
    You're from Michigan, right? Then you know about:
  • You could have picked a better photoshop.
  • Dude, that's real.
  • Dude, that's real.
    lol. I thought so too for the longest time, until someone told me that it was a taxidermy.
  • Yeah, rabbits cause a lot of trouble in Australia, because they are "illegal aliens" to the continent. Whoever put the rabbits there was even dumber than the Englishman who put the starlings in America, because he wanted "All the birds mentioned in Shakespeare to live in the New World"

So because of the rabbit ban and the myxamatosis, I'd have a tough time living in in Australia. I think I could grow to have a fondness for kangaroos and wallabies though. They are kind of like dograbbitdeer.
    Rabbits, not so bad - Cane Toads, Good god, whoever introduced those is a consummate wanker. They were imported to eat the cane beetles - and they don't even eat the bloody things!

But, I don't think you'd have THAT much trouble living in Australia. The heat might get you for a little while your first summer (Just this summer, we had temperatures over over 104 degrees for about three or four weeks straight where I live, and I'm in a coastal region - inland, it hits 122 on a pretty regular basis) but otherwise its not so bad. I live within an hour's drive - not long for a lot of Australia - of multiple awesome beaches, three beautiful islands, two theme parks, three or so waterparks and some other beautiful places to hang out on hot days. Also, whenever my local park inevitably has a big bushfire in the summer, its pretty spectacular.

As for kangaroos - They're cute as hell, but the wild ones can be pretty dangerous, and koalas are not exactly always friendly either (one attacked my grandmother's dog, and hurt it pretty bad.) But for the most part they're friendlyish. Galahs are awesome birds to own. Also, you can get some crazy food and other such stuff - for example, I could walk down the local Coles/Woolworths/Action/IGA right now, and get kangaroo steaks. They're healthier than beef, and they're tasty

Sure, you'd have to learn a few new habits - For example, being careful certain birds(Plovers have poisonous spines, and while they won't kill you, they'll make you a bit sick and hurt a hell of a lot) and being a lot more careful of snakes(Less so in the suburbs, but still) and spiders(very common in the suburbs, we have a good 20-30 Redback spiders in our front wall when they're in season) but really, its not that hard.

I'll stop here, I could go on for a while, probably enough for a long thread, but suffice to say, its a pretty awesome place to live.
  • I hear all these awesome stories from my college roommate, who lived in Sydney for a while. She really loved Australia, and looking at the pictures, I can see why.

And Re:The Jackalope - I like the idea of Jackalopes (or Rarakkle as they are called in Europe) but when I see the taxidermy I am sad. I drew a comic with a character who was a "stag hare" when I was in Junior High.
  • I want that rabbit. That is all.
  • edited April 2008
    I want that rabbit. That is all.
    I have one and he is absolutely adorable. Rabbits are very low maintanance pets, so if you want to get one you definitely should.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I have one and he is absolutely adorable. Rabbits are very low maintanance pets, so if you want to get one you definitely should.
    Seconded! One warning though, this being Geeknights, is that geek-haus and rabbits do not always mesh. Why? A rabbit is a network cable's natural enemy, so you have to be extra careful to rabbit proof your techmologies. That aside, I am the rabbit-girl! I have lived with rabbits since first grade (now we have an adopted rabbit name of Spooky Marie at my house) and they are kinda like my totem animal. Post pictures! I am always up for rabbit pictures!
  • Wombats are awesome. Much of what we know about them comes from a kid living in a boarding school in the 30s or 40s, who snuck out at night to explore wombat burrows. He wrote a scientific paper which is still referenced today, and is one of the youngest authors ever published in a scientific journal.
  • Damn North Korea! You suck! That guy gave you a present and you eated it. (Well, they were supposed to be for a humanely raised meat breeding program to help the poor with food shortages, but the high ranking officials ate the rabbits as soon as they came into the country! I am like okay, you can feed the starving peasants with cute rabbit, but damn commie leaders!)
    +1 balanced viewpoint. :) If you replaced "cute rabbit" with "cute dog" or "cute cat", three quarters of the western world would totally lose it. :/
  • Sorry to dig up a thread, but I saw this on Cute Overload this morning and it reminded me of gomidog's avatar. It was even submitted by someone named Emily!

• That rabbit's eye is freaky as hell.
  • That rabbit's eye is freaky as hell.
    I thought the same, Sauron rabbit-form?
  • Rabbit eyes gleam bright red in the dark. When you come down stairs in the middle of the night and see widdle flopsy staring at you with those balls of hellfire from the corner of the room, it can be quite disconcerting.
  • I like yard bunnies, but I am not so into house bunnies. I don't know why... I just want dogs and babies more.
  • Don't knock it till you've tried it. But seriously, you seem more like a dog person than a cat or rabbit person. It varies from person to person. Rabbits and Cats make very good urban pets, I think. Consider them if you want an independent yet affectionate mammalian pet for your small apartment. Dogs are more like .5 kids and very social, rabbits and cats are like roommates who kind of do their own thing but will be cuddly from time to time.