This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

Comments

• I'd totally host a small server for you guys. I got a VPS sitting around, not doing much...
    I'd be into a forum TF2 night.
  • Just as the heart explodes, look in the background of the shot where a part of it hits the dove.
    Current theory is that it's Miss Pauling, the Administrator's assistant.
  • I'd be into a forum TF2 night.
    I will also come and heal everyone. (Medics4Lyfe)
  • I'd be into a forum TF2 night.
    I will also come and heal everyone. (Medics4Lyfe)
    And I'll be there to airblast you away for your heavy and off a cliff!

(Pyros4lyfe)
  • And then you'll run into my brilliantly-placed turret.

(Engies4theremainderofyourshortlives)
  • 3 hours to install. :(

I would more than likely be a Medic. Healing is the best!
  • edited June 2011
    They got the install size back down to 7GB (Have a feeling they download hats as needed.).

I'll probably be one of my main classes: Engineer, pyro or medic.

So many people don't get how to play engineer.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • And I'll be DRUNK and waving a big sharpe piece of metal around

(IneffectualDemo4Life)
  • Meh. Not worth the time/space to install.
  • 3 hours to install. :(

I would more than likely be a Medic. Healing is the best!
    Medic can be really hard to play. You're fast, with OK health, but you're constantly a target. Scouts are going to Force-a-Nature you away from your patient, Pyros are going to light you up like the fourth of july, you can't heal yourself, and every dipshit on yoru team is going to blame you for them dying.
  • Medic can be really hard to play. You're fast, with OK health, but you're constantly a target. Scouts are going to Force-a-Nature you away from your patient, Pyros are going to light you up like the fourth of july, you can't heal yourself, and every dipshit on yoru team is going to blame you for them dying.
    During my fairly extensive WoW career, I've only raided as a Restoration Shaman. I sometimes played as a Discipline Priest. Healing is the only thing I KNOW!.

Not really, but I find healing to be more fun and challenging.
  • And I'll shoot everyone in the head, or stab them repeatedly in the back.

(Sniper4Lyfe, SpyWasNeverOnYourSide)
  • Medic can be really hard to play. You're fast, with OK health, but you're constantly a target. Scouts are going to Force-a-Nature you away from your patient, Pyros are going to light you up like the fourth of july, you can't heal yourself, and every dipshit on yoru team is going to blame you for them dying.
    You're thinking WAY too hard about TF2
  • I'm currently at 34% w/ a 1MB/s download. Not bad with Netflix going on the 360, my bf raiding in WoW right now, and I'm downloading a movie from iTunes.
  • edited June 2011
    Medic can be really hard to play. You're fast, with OK health, but you're constantly a target. Scouts are going to Force-a-Nature you away from your patient, Pyros are going to light you up like the fourth of july, you can't heal yourself, and every dipshit on yoru team is going to blame you for them dying.
    You're thinking WAY too hard about TF2
    Not really. It's pretty obvious stuff.
    I'm currently at 34% w/ a 1MB/s download. Not bad with Netflix going on the 360, my bf raiding in WoW right now, and I'm downloading a movie from iTunes.
    That's cus they're prioritizing you Free-to-Play jerks over those of us who paid for the game.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Another tip: While the Medic + Heavy may seem like the default combination, Medic + Demoman is far more dangerous. Uber + Stickymines will clear out most enemy holdouts.

I want to get some Dustbowl action.
  • SO glad I didn't buy the game.
  • Jeremy is out with friends tomorrow. I have a free Friday night! What to do? What to do?
  • edited June 2011
    What any mention of games that are not CS or Quake on this forum inevitably attracts reminds me of this -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My only concern is that they'd eliminate getting items by drops, crafting, and Milestones,

Drops and crafting. Sigh.......
    What any mention of games that are not CS or Quake on this forum inevitably attracts reminds me of this -
    To be fair, as I've always said, TF2 was a fine game. Not to my personal tastes, but a fine game nonetheless. I played a great deal of it early on even.

My only strong complaint is the addition of stateful bullshit to it after release.
  • Play one of the Vanilla servers.
  • edited June 2011
    Maybe it's just because I was never big into competitive FPSes until the last year or so, but it doesn't really affect me. By the time I realized I wanted or needed something, I either already had it or it was easily obtainable. I do still have some reservations about the system, but they're nowhere near as strong now that I'e played the game.

EDIT:
    Play one of the Vanilla servers.
    Or this. It's possible to create a server that doesn't connect to the TF2 loadout server, forcing everyone to use the default loadout.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • To be fair, as I've always said, TF2 was a fine game. Not to my personal tastes, but a fine game nonetheless. I played a great deal of it early on even.

My only strong complaint is the addition of stateful bullshit to it after release.
    It's alright, I'm half taking the piss. I'm trying to be a little softer on you guys, I've been a little too harsh on you for a little while now, I should ease down. I don't say it to be cruel or stick the boot in, but just to have a friendly jab.

I admittedly do kinda agree with you about the items - but I'm a little 50/50 about it at the moment, pending more play and investigation. Either way, I enjoy it, so I might as well use the time I'm going to put into it for something else a little more useful, too.
  • edited June 2011
    I feel like TF2 is the perfect (online) competition game with a few special tournament rules:

1) Non-Random damage (simple server variable).

2) Crits off

3) Highlander Mode (9 vs. 9 - There can be only One...of each class)

So why a great competition game?

1) It's free - Everyone can play it. You have a huge potential population of competitors. Every major competitive game has gotten big while being very accessible. Cs 1.6 and Starcraft could be played on virtually any computer the requirements wee so low, and everybody already had half-life so CS 1.6 was essentially free. This low barrier to entry is important to get the kind of large base that would support a competitive scene.

2) It's got a lot of support and a lot of strategic options. While Rym and Scott were playing Tribes, I was slogging it out in GL Quake with a little crazy fun mod called Team Fortress. I got into the clan scene. One of my favorite aspects of it was trying to come up with the best way of utilizing 9 people of a variety of classes. We would test out different defensive setups. Is it better to have the demo put pipe bombs at the bottom of he spiral or on the flag itself? The game felt like it had a lot of options. TF2 has infinitely more options with the staggering number of items it has.

3) 9v9 Highlander will provide a lot more options in how you can combine the classes than 6v6 1 medic/1 demo/2 o every other class. By forcing everyone to have a pyro, you get to experiment and utilize his unique abilities without crippling your team because he's just not as good as a soldier. Sure 6v6 is easier to get together, but it's just not as strategically interesting. The 6v6 game puts more emphasis on combat skill and less on strategic play. That's all well and good, but I'd prefer a more equal balance, where strategic play matters as much as combat skill. The infusion of new weapons gives new options to strategic decisions, so the game will take much longer to reach a static "every team uses strategy X because it i most effective" that current 6v6 play has reached (everyone runs a medic, demo, soldier, and a scout + 2 others based on map/team, but usually it's another scout/soldier). At least that's the way it was last time I checked.

4) The only major issue is not everyone will have every weapon. I wish there was an easy fix for this, but I take solace in the concept that you can acquire some of the most important weapons by simple achievements, and he others you can get over time, or you can just buy them if you are that competitive minded. It's not a perfect solution, but I can't think of any other way to do it with Valve's current model.

I'd love to get into a highlander competitive team if I had time. But I've got board games to play and a Company of Heroes podcast to produce, and there just are not enough hours in the week :(

Rym: I'm not sure what you mean by "stateful bullshit." Could you elaborate? Are you speaking about the ever-expanding item list?
    Post edited by Bridger on
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "stateful bullshit."
    not everyone will have every weapon.
    Answered your own question. Aspects of game state persist between rounds in the form of who has access to which weapons. It would be as if, in hockey, one team's goalie was allowed to use bigger pads because he'd stopped enough pucks in his career to unlock them.
  • Yes, Team Fortress 2 is a basically broken game. Yes, the crafting and drop system give players unfair advantage. No, that does not keep it from being a fun game. I don't play TF2 like I play Counter-Strike. In CS, I play to win, I am constantly thinking about where enemies could be, how to most effectively stop the enemy, etc. I play TF2 when I just want to hold down mouse1 and scream "HA HA HA! ENTIRE TEAM IS MADE OF BABIES!" "WHAT'S THAT SAMVICH? KILL THEM ALL? GOOD IDEA?" or "We will fight them on a MOAT! We will fight them on a BOAT! WE WILL NOT EAT GREEN EGGS AND HAM! MR. GARPABARP, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!" TF2 is perfectly enjoyable, despite it's short comings as a game. Rym, you've just "hard-cored yourself into a corner."
  • edited June 2011
    Yes, the crafting and drop system give players unfair advantage.
    I'm not so sure about that - not saying you're wrong, just that I'm not so sure - Valve works pretty hard to keep everything balanced. A highly skilled player is most likely going to beat someone who is merely a skilled player every time, no matter how many items the latter has or the former lacks - at least, in my observations so far. I may change that opinion as time goes on.

However, you made one other crucial mistake
    Yes, Team Fortress 2 is a basically broken Hat simulator.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yes, the crafting and drop system give players unfair advantage.
    I'm not so sure about that - not saying you're wrong, just that I'm not so sure - Valve works pretty hard to keep everything balanced. A highly skilled player is most likely going to beat someone who is merely a skilled player every time, no matter how many items the latter has or the former lacks - at least, in my observations so far. I may change that opinion as time goes on.
    Valve does a good job of keeping things mostly balanced, but there's a few weapons that are just over powered. Crusaders Crossbow? Eyelander? A more skilled player can beat a less skilled player, but within a certain proximity of skill, the weapons give a significant advantage. Again, I still play it and enjoy it, but I recognize the basic problems it has.
  • Yes, Team Fortress 2 is a basically broken game. Yes, the crafting and drop system give players unfair advantage. No, that does not keep it from being a fun game. I don't play TF2 like I play Counter-Strike. In CS, I play to win, I am constantly thinking about where enemies could be, how to most effectively stop the enemy, etc. I play TF2 when I just want to hold down mouse1 and scream "HA HA HA! ENTIRE TEAM IS MADE OF BABIES!" "WHAT'S THAT SAMVICH? KILL THEM ALL? GOOD IDEA?" or "We will fight them on a MOAT! We will fight them on a BOAT! WE WILL NOT EAT GREEN EGGS AND HAM! MR. GARPABARP, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!" TF2 is perfectly enjoyable, despite it's short comings as a game. Rym, you've just "hard-cored yourself into a corner."
    Basically everything you said is my counter argument to Ryms technically correct arguments. Eventually I will probably get fed up with the bullshit. But for now, I'm enjoying a fun, if stupid, game. I have my whole life to be hardcored into a corner. For now, I'm enjoying my one little bit of ignorance.
  • edited June 2011
    Valve does a good job of keeping things mostly balanced, but there's a few weapons that are just over powered. Crusaders Crossbow? Eyelander? A more skilled player can beat a less skilled player, but within a certain proximity of skill, the weapons give a significant advantage. Again, I still play it and enjoy it, but I recognize the basic problems it has.
    That's fair. I've hardly encountered those items, so I can't make any assessment of them.

Actually, I think the items could also lead to some amusing matches, if done correctly. I'll think more on that. Something like each class being assigned a ridiculous item set, or king of the hill matches with only one class and a particular item.
    Post edited by Churba on