This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

Comments

• TF2 is perfectly enjoyable, despite it's short comings as a game. Rym, you've just "hard-cored yourself into a corner."
    It depends. I could enjoy TF2 in the following situation.

1. Vanilla Server
    2. FRC Forum players only (password protected)
    3. Scheduled scrims with pre-arranged teams

Basically, all the benefits of clan play without having to deal with clan drama.
    But for now, I'm enjoying a fun, if stupid, game.
    Nothing wrong with enjoying a fun, if stupid, game, so long as you recognize that it's stupid! I love me some stupid anime, after all.

My only beef is is when someone refuses to accept a game's objective problems. If you understand the problems, but still enjoy the game for what it is, that's fine and great. I'll watch Initial D while you play TF2. ;^)
  • Sidenote: Rym, have you seen demopan?
  • Basically, all the benefits of clan play without having to deal with clan drama.
    I'll note that clan drama doesn't exists in every dedicated gaming group.
  • Basically, all the benefits of clan play without having to deal with clan drama.
    You think this forum is drama free?
  • edited June 2011
    You think this forum is drama free?
    For the most part, yes. We argue, we get vicious, we mouth off at each other, but we're all usually cool after. Not like there are leadership struggles either. I'd damn near strangle Scott sometimes, but I'd still break bread with him. Things got Heated with chaos99 in the boomstick thread, but I'd still chill with the dude and hang out. I've told Killarney to fellate a red hot iron bar, but I'd still buy him a beer, too. Andrew's not adverse to having a poke at me, but I poke at him too, and I think he's a top bloke.

People fight and fuss, but it's what happens after that makes it drama, and we have very little of the after-drama, if any.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You think this forum is drama free?
    Have you ever seen the rest of the Internet? ;^)
  • Have you ever seen the rest of the Internet? ;^)
    I don't leave this forum much, can't remember why exactly. I'm sure it's not important.
  • 1) Non-Random damage (simple server variable).

2) Crits off

3) Highlander Mode (9 vs. 9 - There can be only One...of each class)
    (╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻

Man, fuck that.

This is starting to sound like people who play Smash Bros "Fox only, Final Destination" so they can play it "for reelz". if you want to play a real fighting game, you don't play Smash Bros, and if you want to play a real FPS, you don't play TF2.

TF2 is for LULZ.
  • Amen, preach it brother. TF2 is about smacking a giant russian with a chaingun upside the head with a fish so everyone can see that he got fish'd.
  • Man, fuck that.

This is starting to sound like people who play Smash Bros "Fox only, Final Destination" so they can play it "for reelz". if you want to play a real fighting game, you don't play Smash Bros, and if you want to play a real FPS, you don't play TF2.

TF2 is for LULZ.
    Wait, I didn't say that, dude. I'm all about the shits and giggles.
  • TF2 is for LULZ.
    Vanilla and without crits, it's actually a good game. But it tests a different skillset from what one might expect from this sort of game.

TF2 tests:

1. Realtime tactical coordination

Think group Paper-Rock-Scissors where everyone has to act in unison or they lose. The team has to collectively communicate disposition and enact tactical reallocations in real time.

2. Simple strategic optimization

The maps are relatively simple, and near-optimal solutions are not that difficult to come to. But, they still need to actually be determined, and it's not trivial (except on 2fort). Of course, generally, it comes down to (in CTF maps): turtle with minor midfield skirmishing and infrastructure annoyance 90% of the time, occasionally suddenly shifting to a near-full offensive, then back to turtling.

Individual player skill at basic FPS actions is not nearly important as tactical engagement and team-level strategy.
  • edited June 2011
    I've been playing TF2 since launch. I really only play on the 2fort2furious server, but since MLP:FiM became popular I've been playing on the Legion of Ponies servers. I view TF2 more as a casual multiplayer FPS if such a thing exists.
    Post edited by Robyn Chaos on
  • Vanilla and without crits, it's actually a good game
    That just feels like you're turning off half the game.

I like the new weapons. The default guns are just a viable as the new ones. Some of the new weapons are MORE FUN though (I greatly prefer the bow and arrow to the sniper rifle).

The crits are fine. They don't impact the game so much as to mess up Realtime Tactical Coordination (unless your whole team gets pee on them at the same time) OR Simple Strategic Optimization; they just make people who care deeply about their K/D and making frag videos with Dubstep tracks mad.
  • edited June 2011
    Rym wants a different game than I want. Rym wants to win. TF2 isn't about winning for me. It's about 2Fort with no time limit and a high cap limit. Then, killing as many people as possible and scoring as many points as possible. That can include caps, but doesn't have to.

Vanilla is good fun, but there are some very fun weapons to use outside of vanilla. The Cloak and Dagger, for instance, makes spying so much better!
    Post edited by Jason on
  • TF2 isn't about winning for me
    So you're a griefer. ;^)
  • A game not being about winning for you is not the same as not playing to win.
  • I'm only interested in TF2 to somewhat improve my crappy FPS skills, but mainly to have lulz and play with my friends. I do love competition, but the overall enjoyment and shared experiences with people I admire is what I want.
  • Rym wants a different game than I want. Rym wants to win. TF2 isn't about winning for me. It's about 2Fort with no time limit and a high cap limit. Then, killing as many people as possible and scoring as many points as possible. That can include caps, but doesn't have to.

Vanilla is good fun, but there are some very fun weapons to use outside of vanilla. The Cloak and Dagger, for instance, makes spying so much better!
    I don't understand how people can still play only 2fort after so many years.
  • I still play 2fort because it's about as laid-back a pace as a shooter can be, which is great if you want to relax and blow off steam by playing a shooter, but only playing 2fort seems rather said.
  • Counter-Strike is a game about competition. TF2 is a game about entertainment. It's as simple as that.
  • I don't understand how people can still play only 2fort after so many years.
    I didn't say only.

However, 2Fort is just about as perfect a map as is possible for CTF.
  • YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME
  • I don't understand how people can still play only 2fort after so many years.
    I didn't say only.

However, 2Fort is just about as perfect a map as is possible for CTF.
    to me, 2fort is like pl_goldrush. A good map that's way overplayed.
    You need to be more zen, dude.
    This is different than whining about things that might complicate your optimal strategy or bemoaning the extra fluff around the core competitive experience.
    YOU EAT TO NOURISH THE BODY
    Some times I like to eat pizza and drink beer.
    YOU ARE GRIEFING FOOD
  • YOU ARE GRIEFING FOOD
    I guffawed audibly.

I don't give an ass rat's if the game is fundamentally broken. It's fun and I'm going to play it as long as it remains fun for me.
  • Is a movie a "bad" movie if you enjoyed it?

Is a game "broken" if you like playing it?
    HA, I have this argument with people all the freaking time.

Is a game "broken" if you like playing it?
    Yes. Personal taste and quality are not related or connected in any way whatsoever, but I've given up trying to explain that to you people. If you haven't understood it after 5+ years, you're never going to.
  • To be more precise, no game can be analyzed (sub|ob)jectively until the core utility has been agreed upon.