This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

Comments

• The Store can be a lot of fun, especially for long periods of time so you can figure out new tricks (and with fast respawn).
  • yes it's terribly broken in favor of red
    Fuck the red team!

But really, jolly good time yesterday.
  • Red is the color of winning.
  • I am running errands and should be done in 3-4 hours. After that, I am free all day. Just send me a message in Steam.
    Ironically, the map you linked is strongly favored towards Blue snipers.
  • edited June 2011
    If anyone has some ideas for other fun maps (I have some good non-gimmick ones I'm going to add later), lemme know.
    After you left the server last night, there was a wave of "What do you MEAN there was no Team Deathmatch on release?" through the server, so I suggest adding a few Arena mode maps, provided Valve isn't still being stupid and forcing the server to be either solely Arena or Non-Arena maps.

Adding a couple melee maps might be a nice idea too, just for the hell of it.
    Post edited by Yuyuke on
  • edited June 2011
    Also, there's not much point to keeping 2fort in as a CTF map - After all, we're all smart enough that we just turtle up completely, and it runs out to time or luck. Before I hopped onto the FRCF server, I'd been in a match for about 40-45 minutes, without a single capture, because both teams were turtled up in their bases, with engineers in the intel rooms keeping a sentry or two and a dispenser going, and the rest of the two teams trying to break over the central point of where the battle was at any time, or push it far enough back that they could slip one or two people through - where those people would probably get chewed up by the Intel room sentries. The only chance of getting the intel was a spy getting through, sapping all of the turrets, killing the engie(s), and then grabbing the intel and hoping to avoid the rest of the team, which by now has shed a few extra people to go back and protect the intel - because he only has two ways to escape the intel area, and you can cover both of those with more than a spy can handle with 2-3 people.

The only other chance, I suppose and if you could manage to get them both through, would be to get a spy and a scout into the base, have the spy sap the sentries and concentrate on the engineer, while the scout zips in and snatches the intel, and gets out of the intel area before the rest of the team can appropriately respond - but that would be pretty fuckin' hard to pull off with a competent defence, let alone three times.

However, it is small enough and fast enough for a bit of team deathmatch giggles.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2011
    Adding a couple melee maps might be a nice idea too, just for the hell of it.
    Fan-o-War all day erry day.
    Also, there's not much point to keeping 2fort in as a CTF map - After all, we're all smart enough that we just turtle up completely, and it runs out to time or luck. Before I hopped onto the FRCF server, I'd been in a match for about 40-45 minutes, without a single capture, because both teams were turtled up in their bases, with engineers in the intel rooms keeping a sentry or two and a dispenser going, and the rest of the two teams trying to break over the central point of where the battle was at any time, or push it far enough back that they could slip one or two people through - where those people would probably get chewed up by the Intel room sentries. The only chance of getting the intel was a spy getting through, sapping all of the turrets, killing the engie(s), and then grabbing the intel and hoping to avoid the rest of the team, which by now has shed a few extra people to go back and protect the intel - because he only has two ways to escape the intel area, and you can cover both of those with more than a spy can handle with 2-3 people.
    Is that the one I followed you into? When the FRC Server was being made? Because if you have impatient people playing an engie (me), you have them wandering around a bit, pretty much going undetected, and put up sentries in their base. That conclusion was helped by Jason (I think it was him?) as I was impatiently following him around into the other team's base because I was tired of being holed up.
    Basically, have not-so-smart people like me on a team. I make it fun!
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • edited June 2011
    Is that the one I followed you into? When the FRC Server was being made? Because if you have impatient people playing an engie (me), you have them wandering around a bit, pretty much going undetected, and put up sentries in their base. That conclusion was helped by Jason (I think it was him?) as I was impatiently following him around into the other team's base because I was tired of being holed up.
    Basically, have not-so-smart people like me on a team. I make it fun!
    True, but it's quite simple for an enemy spy to sap those without trouble - it changes the position of the battle line for a moment, but not for very long - you'd have to really scramble to get the intel out. Though, if you built a level 3 turret in your own base, and then just carried it with you, you could cause some havoc setting that thing up somewhere interesting - like halfway down the tunnel to their intel room, since most teams who turtle will set up sentries in the intel room, not outside of it, because it restricts your lines of approach so severely - one engineer can turn that room into a no-man's land for the other team unless they're good and really lucky.

I holed up, simply because I wasn't a credit to team on the front line, so I stuck around at the back to free up a defender, and played it by ear with occasional advice - for example, I'd have a teleporter up top near the battlements, sitting about in the obvious open, allowing fast travel to the intel room, but also, what enemy team member could resist cutting the other team's mobility with a few swipes of their melee weapon, particularly if they don't know the destination of the teleporter? Therefore, it becomes a rudimentary intruder alarm, too, someone pops that, they're likely to be heading down to the intel room too, so soon as it pops, simply put out the call, and you have at least one or two team members dropping back to give you a hand, plus you have your sentry and dispenser, along with your shotgun and pistol.
    Once I get the Turret control device for the engie, then that will make for some interesting idle fun coming up with ways to use it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I am hopping in now if anyone wants to join.
  • I am hopping in now if anyone wants to join.
    With ya as soon as I make a cuppa.
  • edited June 2011
    I am hopping in now if anyone wants to join.
    With ya as soon as I make a cuppa.
    I'll be following, if you'd like, after I finish reading about map making/editing.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Trying it again sans Internet going out
  • Coldguy and I got into a lil' one on one action. He dominated at first and then I settled in and took a couple, then I'm presuming his internet cut out.
  • be there in less than 30min
  • Change the fucking map.
    Ironically, the map you linked is strongly favored towards Blue snipers.
    The map is mirrored identically for both sides....
  • Change the fucking map.
    I don't have mapvote up yet. What map so you want? I can SSH in and change it from the console.
  • I'm coming in! Who wants to be healed? :P
  • Count me in also. I should take a break from making games to actually play one. :P
  • Scout time? Scout time.
  • That was good. The backblast wasn't at top form but I gave the axetinguisher a good workout.

Also, WaterIsPoison killed me in the water like, three times.
  • The map is mirrored identically for both sides....
    It clearly isn't.
  • Churba, dude, you are a capturing machine! Sorry I couldn't pull more guys off the intel room for you.
  • Just so everyone knows, I can get in and fix problems on the server from my phone. If it ever fucks up, I'm @neito on twitter or email me neito@nerdramblingz.com. both go straight to my phone.
  • edited June 2011
    Churba, dude, you are a capturing machine! Sorry I couldn't pull more guys off the intel room for you.
    Nah, just had a few lucky turns - As I seem to say about these things, when it does happen, I'm as surprised as you are. I spent more time trying to get near the case, or hiding, waiting for a chance, than I ever spent near the case. I'm real good at getting in, but not so great at getting out. Said the Bishop to the Actress.

Also, I should only smoke and play at the same time If I'm turtling with engie, I have learned. Unless I'm smoking a pipe, in which case, it's game on - just rest it on my desk while I smoke, and if it goes out, Relight while I wait to re-spawn.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2011
    Re: team deathmatch. There's several default arena maps. The rules are basically counterstrikes: no respawn, go for it.

I'm going to get around to installing a mod that adds rtv, among other map voting options.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Goddamnit you guys had better not already get tired of this server by the time my desktop is back up and running.
  • I'm getting on right now, if anyone's bored.
  • I'm running us on a world tour of the default arena deathmatch servers, if anyone's interested.