This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What exactly can I expect from an anime convention?

2»

Comments

• If you are going to try my "buying technique", make sure that you have either a car (preferably in a covered area if the con is in the summer) or a hotel room nearby to drop the swag off in. If you don't (like me for the past three Otakons) your fun levels will drop slightly.
  • edited April 2008
    Haha. My buying habits are basically:

"Ooh! Look at that cool thing!" Note no mention of price.

For the record, my con experience has been mostly with Fanime on the west coast, and Connecticon once or twice. I moved away from Rhode Island right before their con started, methinks.

Make sure to make a general budget, though. And only buy the "cool things" you can't get locally, or through the wonderful wonderful web. Also, if there is something you really want, and it's very popular, buy it. It will be gone before Sunday.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited April 2008
    There is only one Anime conventions I've ever even heard of in Australia - Supernova "Pop culture Expo".

Not much to do there, in basest terms, its a Dealer's room with events and guests. Though, I must admit that we do get some pretty decent guests - We've had Summer Glau, The two kiwi Blokes that played Jango Fett and the young Boba Fett, to name a few, and this year we have the likes of Jewel Staite, James Kyson Lee(Ando, of Heroes Fame), Teryl Rothery, John Rhys-Davies(think of the lines "Innnnnddddddyyyyy!" and "Don't tell the Elf."), Lou Ferrigno, Michael Winslow, David Harris and Nalini Krishan.

Though, I must admit, I remember with fondness the Kamehameha competition a year or two ago - a bloke came up on his turn, built it up for quite a while. He's building it, and building it, and after about two minutes, the crowd and the announcer are shouting at him to release it, at which point he screams "It's too powerful! It will destroy the earth!" And runs out of the auditorium, screaming.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My friends have told me to come to supanova on Sunday, so I probably have no choice.

Oh mans, I wish I'd seen that Kamehameha, and I guess I'm unlikely to see anything anywhere near as good when I go.
  • I buy mostly stickers and cheap rare stuff at anime cons (fan made comedy doujinshi, usually artists row made things).
  • Churba was basically correct about supanova.
    I saw pretty much only one good thing with my friends while there -
    a performance by the Police Academy sound guy (Micheal Winslow)