This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

Comments

• edited April 2008
    What the fuck ever happened to zeppelins? Was it just bad PR from the Hindenburg?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm embarrassed by the irresponsible ad hominem-flinging going on here.
  • What the fuck ever happened to zeppelins? Was is just bad PR from theHindenburg?
    YES, YES, and YES. If it wasn't for the Hindenburg we would probably have crazy awesome zeppelins everywhere.
  • What the fuck ever happened to zeppelins? Was is just bad PR from theHindenburg?
    YES, YES, and YES. If it wasn't for the Hindenburg we would probably have crazy awesome zeppelins everywhere.
    Aren't zeppelins like crazy slow?
  • Aren't zeppelins like crazy slow?
    Yes, they are fairly slow. However, they can lift an entire warehouse!
    You and me both.
  • DIESEL POWERED freight trains.
    You make that sound like it's a bad thing, when it's the complete opposite. And besides, I already said that trains are cheaper, that includes fuel prices. You need a lot less diesel to travel a certain distance than gas, diesel is cheaper (at least here it is), and provides A FUCKTON OF POWER at low RPM.
    1. The rest of the world has higher gas prices cause they tax the ever living fuck out it. If you strip the taxes away we all pay about the same.
    That is true to some extent.
    For gas (petrol that is) it slightly more than doubles the base price, they're called *gets dictionary* excise... New word, stock levying and the standard taxes of 19% on goods.

These are there so that people will take the bicycle or public transport over the car, and thus to lower the impact on the environment, and to pay for all sorts of things like health care and pay our debts (we too have some iirc). Sure, the Netherlands isn't that great in regards to taxes and so, but at least we don't go overboard with overspending.
  • Hey guys, I've got an idea: lets make a HUGE blimp so we can carry stuff around with it. What should we fill it with? Helium? Nah, that's too heavy. Let's use hydrogen! It'll be FUN! What could possibly go wrong?
    Yup. All because they painted it with rocket fuel.
    Yup. All because they painted it with rocket fuel.
    I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.
    You and me both.
    Guilty.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm embarrassed by the irresponsible ad hominem-flinging going on here.
    You and me both.
    I'm cranky because my hemorrhoids are flaring up. When the hemorrhoids flare, the hominems are flung. Also, read my post. I tried really hard not to, but teh grammar just pushed me over teh edge. With flaming hemorrhoids.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Good. Tax it more. Raise taxes on everything I don't use. Especially tobacco.
    Let's just have a VAT, since that's fair to everyone.
    Yeah, but if it's only the trains that use fuel, demand will be much lower with supply unchanged. If we used more trains and less cars we would get the same amount of work done with less fuel. Oh yeah, also the train I take may be diesel, but most of the trains are electric trains. That means they could be nuclear trains!
    I'm not talking about your commute to work, I'm talking about Goods. Almost everything in this country is moved around by Diesel or Jet fuel.
    He probably does. It's part of their delusion that, one day when they're just as rich as Paris Hilton, taxes are really gonna be hurting them. That's how the rich guys are able to sell them on the tax shenanigans: "Repeal the 'death tax' or you'll lose the family farm!", "Cut capital gains because one day, you might be an owner too!" If you get some talk radio types to say it long enough and loud enough, the average types start believing it. That's when they start voting republican.
    Bite me. If the government wants 20% my salary I fine with it, I just wanna get something in return.
  • edited April 2008
    That's not a fallacy, it's capitalist. This is why we call you commies, because this country is founded on the principle that is you work hard and make something of yourself you can be wealthy.
    My entire point was that 70% of the wealth in the nation should pay 70% of the taxes, which is exactly how the income tax was structured in 2001. How you might derive that I am a communist from that is baffling.

Edit to remove speculation.
    Post edited by konistehrad on
  • edited April 2008
    Bite me. If the government wants 20% my salary I fine with it, I just wanna get something in return.
    Did you drive your monster truck to the bait shop where you work on a road or did you have to go four-wheelin'? You had a road? Well, doggie. Looks like you do get something in return from the guvmint, redneck.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • My entire point was that 70% of the wealth in the nation should pay 70% of the taxes, which is exactly how the income tax was structured in 2001, pre-GW-tax-cuts. How you might derive that I am a communist from that is baffling.
    Well you need to rethink your point cause by that logic a flat tax would be ideal.
  • I just wanna get something in return.
    Protection from criminals not enough?
    What about roads and public education?
  • Bite me. If the government wants 20% my salary I fine with it, I just wanna get something in return.
    You are ok if that tax money goes into Iraq and you will never see something in return?
  • Bite me. If the government wants 20% my salary I fine with it, I just wanna get something in return.
    Did you drive your monster truck to the bait shop where you work on a road or did you have to go four-wheelin'? You had a road? Well, doggie. Looks like you do get something in return from the guvmint, redneck.
    1. I pay state taxes
    2. Federal Highway Administration Budget is round about $30 billion a year. Sounds like a lot, but say there are 100 million tax payers in this country that's $300 a year per tax payer.
    again, state taxes.
    again, state taxes.
    So it's not government in general you're against. You just don't like the federal government. That makes sense . . . on Bizarro World, especially seeing as you guys love the wars and stuff.
  • What about roads and public education?
    It was the first thing that came to mind. Cops, firefighters, etc...
    again, state taxes.
    WTF is it with state taxes? I assume your state uses those to supply all the previous mentioned stuff (i.e. cops, schools, roads, etc)
  • So it's not government in general you're against. You just don't like thefederalgovernment. That makes sense . . . on Bizarro World, especially seeing as you guys love the wars and stuff.
    I'm against the Federal Government wasting my money.
  • -Not leaving Iraq immediately
    I'm against the Federal Government wasting my money.
    I give up. *throws in the towel* 'Dieu.
  • WTF is it with state taxes? I assume your state uses those to supply all the previous mentioned stuff (i.e. cops, schools, roads, etc)
    In America, every state is almost it's own country with it's own taxes. So yes, State taxes pay for those things.

• I'm against the Federal Government wasting my money.
    Wait, so you are pro-Iraq war and against Federal Government wasting money. How do you justify these two positions?
    So killing people, and sending americans to their deaths, on the other side of the world for absolutely no tangible benefit isn't a waste of money. Yet, giving that money back to the states is a waste. So awesome.

Who here is an economics expert? Raise your hand? Anybody? No economists? That's what I thought. If you're not an economist, you have no idea with the shit you are talking about. You don't go telling Stephen Hawking you know more about physics than he does, so don't go telling economists you know better than they do. Oh guess what. All the world's leading economists disagree with you.
  • Oink oink oink oink oink oink oink oink.
    There is need for reform, and I used to think McCain was pretty cool about criticizing waste. Used to. Used to.

Wait, so you are pro-Iraq war and against Federal Government wasting money. How do you justify these two positions?
    Very simply, at this point I don't consider that a waste, because the alternative is far worse than the bill.
    Who here is an economics expert? Raise your hand? Anybody? No economists? That's what I thought. If you're not an economist, you have no idea with the shit you are talking about. You don't go telling Stephen Hawking you know more about physics than he does, so don't go telling economists you know better than they do. Oh guess what. All the world's leading economists disagree with you.
    What the hell? Where did that come?