This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

Comments

• Eddie Murphy is a comedian. Huckabee is a possible VP candidate. Big difference between the sources, especially since the "joke" was at an NRA convention.
    Agreed. Do we have audio? Can we hear if the audience laughed at the first part of the 'joke' or the later?

foundbut I can't get it to play on my work computer.

There was some silence in the crowd between the tripping and the gun line. I'd like to see a shot of the crowd while he was talking.
    What does it matter how the crowd reacted? He said what he said and it is unacceptable. His political career should be over, but apparently conservatives are okay with a white candidate saying something racist, and not okay with a black candidate knowing someone who said some racist things.
    No shit his carearshouldwill be over after this. I don't think anyone on this forum will deny that. I simply wanted to see how the crowd reacted.
    I will concede, it appeared that you were trying to look for a justification for his actions. I made an assumption, sorry.
  • Obama tells Tenn.'s GOP: 'Lay off my wife'
    Obama, his party's presidential front-runner, and his wife, Michelle, were asked in an interview aired Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America" about an online video last week by the state's GOP taking her to task for a comment some considered unpatriotic.

"The GOP, should I be the nominee, can say whatever they want to say about me, my track record," Obama said. "If they think that they're going to try to make Michelle an issue in this campaign, they should be careful because that I find unacceptable, the notion that you start attacking my wife or my family."

He called the strategy "low class."

The video, posted on YouTube, centered on remarks Michelle Obama made while campaigning in Wisconsin last February, when she said: "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country."
    The comments were made while Michelle was campaigning for Obama in Wisconsin, doesn't that make them fair game? It just seems silly to allow someone to speak at one of your events and then proclaim that it is unfair if the words spoken are used against you in the future.

It may not be pretty, and it may be low but I don't think her comments should be off limits considering the venue in which they were delivered.
  • So, the question remains: Will the racists in the Democratic party vote for Obama in November? If these racist reside in states that normally go Republican it does not matter too much. If they reside in swing states or states that go with 5% a Democratic margin then he has a problem.
  • So, the question remains: Will the racists in the Democratic party vote for Obama in November? If these racist reside in states that normally go Republican it does not matter too much. If they reside in swing states or states that go with 5% a Democratic margin then he has a problem.
    I would hope that the number of racists in either party would be low enough that they do not make any impact on our political system. I recognize that this may be an unfounded hope.
  • best campaign ad ever

Just watch it... It's probably the best SNL political ad so far.
  • The Obama Gaffe Machine
    For months, Barack Obama has had the image of an incandescent, golden-tongued Wundercandidate. That image may be fraying now.

As smart and credentialed as he is, Sen. Obama is often an indifferent speaker without a teleprompter. He has large gaps in his knowledge base, and is just as likely to dig in and embrace a policy misstatement as abandon it. ABC reporter Jake Tapper calls him "a one-man gaffe machine."

Take the Auschwitz flub, where Mr. Obama erroneously claimed last weekend in New Mexico that his uncle helped liberate the Nazi concentration camp. Reporters noted Mr. Obama's revised claim, that it was his great uncle who helped liberate Buchenwald. They largely downplayed the error. Yet in another, earlier gaffe back in 2002, Mr. Obama claimed his grandfather knew U.S. troops who liberated Auschwitz and Treblinka – even though only Russian troops entered those concentration camps.

That hardly disqualifies Mr. Obama from being president. But you can bet that if Hillary Clinton had done the same thing it would have been the focus of much more attention, especially after her Bosnia sniper-fire fib. That's because gaffes are often blown up or downplayed based on whether or not they further a story line the media has attached to a politician.

How do the Obama supporters on the forum take stuff like this? He sounds just as vapid as the rest of the candidates yet the media gives him a free pass on these things. Just him. If Hillary or McCain made these same gaffes it would be all over the news.
  • Are you serious? There's a difference between the following:
    • Lying, being called on it, being proven you lied, and still not fessing up,
    • and
    • Saying your uncle did something when it was actually your great uncle.

If anything, the fact that this is all the media has on him shows how well Obama plays the game. Going back six years to find something he messed up on? Give me a break.
  • The Obama Gaffe MachineHow do the Obama supporters on the forum take stuff like this? He sounds just as vapid as the rest of the candidates yet the media gives him a free pass on these things. Just him. If Hillary or McCain made these same gaffes it would be all over the news.
    So... what you're saying is, you wonder why the media doesn't blow up about a few seconds of misspoken speech, right?
  • edited May 2008
    The Obama Gaffe MachineHow do the Obama supporters on the forum take stuff like this? He sounds just as vapid as the rest of the candidates yet the media gives him a free pass on these things. Just him. If Hillary or McCain made these same gaffes it would be all over the news.
    So... what you're saying is, you wonder why the media doesn't blow up about a few seconds of misspoken speech, right?
    What I am trying to point out is that the only reason Obama is seen as being "so great" is because the media chooses not to follow up on his mistakes the way they do with other candidates.

The media jumps all over McCain when he mixes up Sunni and Shia but Obama confuses Veteran's Day with Memorial Day and it's "no big deal". The other thing is that he can deliver a speech very well but when he is forced to work without a prepared speech he fumbles all over the place. I really want to like this guy but I can't. He just comes across as a phony who can't work things out on the fly.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited May 2008
    The media jumps all over McCain when he mixes up Sunni and Shia but Obama confuses Veteran's Day with Memorial Day and it's "no big deal".
    That's because it IS NOT a big deal to mix up two relatively minor holidays. Mixing up two major politico-ethnic groups who have very, very different ideas of whether or not they hate us in a country that we blundered into and totally fucked up IS a big deal.

Nothing bad could possibly happen because a president didn't know what holiday it was. Many bad things could happen when a president doesn't know the political and/or ethnic loyalties of people who may or may not be enemies in a war that nearly every single person in the world agrees was a stupid, stupid mistake and that has been handled incredibly badly from the start.

This past Monday was a holiday. It didn't make a bit of difference to me whether it was Labor Day, Memorial Day, or Arbor Day. This week I was in court every single day. It would have made a major difference in the outcomes of several cases if I didn't know who was the Petitioner and who was the Respondent.

Oh, one other thing I still keep coming back to - he was the President of the Harvard Law Review, sp I believe that he's plenty smart enough to be President of the U.S.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on

• Oh, one other thing I still keep coming back to - he was thePresident of the Harvard Law Review,sp I believe that he's plenty smart enough to be President of the U.S.
    Is he book smart? Yep.

Does he have the Wisdom to be President? Not so sure...

• Is he book smart? Yep.

No one who runs for President has the wisdom to be President, all the people that do know better. What you vote for is the person who will, by becoming President, be able to gain that wisdom.
  • I just got more evidence my mother is crazy: she thinks Obama is the anti-Christ. I give you permission to laugh all you want.
  • I just got more evidence my mother is crazy: she thinks Obama is the anti-Christ. I give you permission to laugh all you want.
    My mom told me she won't vote for him because he's a smoker. Go figure.
  • edited June 2008

Oh, one other thing I still keep coming back to - he was thePresident of the Harvard Law Review,sp I believe that he's plenty smart enough to be President of the U.S.
    Is he book smart? Yep.

Are you asking to have scorn and abuse heaped upon you? Did GWB ever have any wisdom at all? Does McSame have any wisdom?

Let's see . . . Obama went to Columbia, he was the first black president of the Harvard Law Review, he graduated magna cum Laude from Harvard, he wrote two bestselling books, he taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for about ten years . . . Face it, Obama is smarter than any ten Republicans put together.
    I just got more evidence my mother is crazy: she thinks Obama is the anti-Christ. I give you permission to laugh all you want.
    I'm much more likely to vote for him because he's a smoker. Smoking is cool.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'm much more likely to vote for him because he's a smoker. Smoking is cool.
    As long as he doesn't blow it in my direction, I couldn't care less.
  • Just a Note, McCain was a 2 pack a day smoker for 20 years.
    I'm much more likely to vote for him because he's a smoker. Smoking is cool.
    My Grandfather will not vote for him because he is a "racist". When asked for his reasoning behind this, Gramps simply replies "he's racist because he is black".
  • Barack Obama will likely reach 2,118 superdelegate votes by tonight, mathematically eliminating Hillary Clinton from contention for her party's nomination.

Clinton told reporters about an hour ago that she will not concede today, though she is scheduled to speak tonight in New York City. I'm curious to see whether she will actually come out and say she's conceding. I guess it all depends on the behind-the-scenes politicking over whether she can get on the Democratic ticket as the VP.
  • It appears that she now will concede.
  • Clinton told reporters about an hour ago that she will not concede today, though she is scheduled to speak tonight in New York City. I'm curious to see whether she will actually come out and say she's conceding. I guess it all depends on the behind-the-scenes politicking over whether she can get on the Democratic ticket as the VP.
    I'd be really interested into she will get the VP bid. If not, Hilliary's hardcore base will likely go vote for McCain out of spite. However, if she does get the bid, her vitriolic attitude will dissuade many of the independents. Do you honestly think the party will consider her as VP?
  • Clinton told reporters about an hour ago that she will not concede today, though she is scheduled to speak tonight in New York City. I'm curious to see whether she will actually come out and say she's conceding. I guess it all depends on the behind-the-scenes politicking over whether she can get on the Democratic ticket as the VP.
    I'd be really interested into she will get the VP bid. If not, Hilliary's hardcore base will likely go vote for McCain out of spite. However, if she does get the bid, her vitriolic attitude will dissuade many of the independents. Do you honestly think the party will consider her as VP?
    I really hope not. She's been vitriolic and nasty during the whole campaign. I understand that it's old-world politics, but Obama is all about change. I'd like to see a ticket with no real ties to that older way of doing things.

Here's hoping for Obama/Edwards.
  • I think she'll put herself out there as the VP. This is the woman who will not give up. I think John Edwards will probably get more serious consideration by the party heads because... and I hate to say this... he is white and has appeal in states where Obama lost.
  • Now that he has the nomination will he resign his senate seat? What about McCain?
  • Now that he has the nomination will he resign his senate seat? What about McCain?
    Kerry didn't so I doubt either will. They are not up for reelection this time around so there is no reason to resign. Generally sitting officials do not resign unless they are also up for reelection in their old post as well.
  • edited June 2008
    Bob Dole resigned and Lieberman even campaigned for his Senate seat while running as Gore's VP.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Yea, Bob Dole though was OLD.. ^_^
  • I just pulled this from the text of Obama's speech tonight on the Drudge Report:
    Maybe if he went to Pennsylvania and met the man who lost his job but can't even afford the gas to drive around and look for a new one, he'd understand that we can't afford four more years of our addiction to oil from dictators. That man needs us to pass an energy policy that works with automakers to raise fuel standards, and makes corporations pay for their pollution, and oil companies invest their record profits in a clean energy future -- an energy policy that will create millions of new jobs that pay well and can't be outsourced. That's the change we need.
    This is an example of why Obama scares the shit out of me. When I read these words this is what runs through my mind:

I see all sorts of False Dichotomies in his speech. Obama is pressing for alternative energy (good idea) but he is also blocking oil drilling within the US and it's national waters. He is putting forth the false dilemma of "foreign oil addiction OR alternative energy" as if those are the only two choices. How about researching alternative fuel sources AND drilling for oil domestically as well as firing up some nuclear plants?

I looked over the speech and there are a shit-ton of these false dichotomies all over the damn thing! The sad thing is that many people will fall for his words and not bother to think things through.