This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows Vista Beta 2 is kick ass!

edited June 2006 in Everything Else
So when I got home and checked my email, I realized microsoft had emailed me, saying that vista was ready to download. Then I downloaded the 3GB ISO, then burned it on a DVD. I proceeded to install the OS, and that took around an hour. Not bad for a beta.

When I got to the main screen and logged in, everything after was awesome. Performance definitely took an increase. All the BS about specs is not true, and that's been publicized on the web recently as well. The widgets on the side are sweet, except they're missing the yahoo chuck norris one. All my old software is installing great. All my drivers work, and MS has done a great job of providing updates for any drivers you didn't get during instillation in Automatic Updates.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but IE 7 isn't that bad. But it doesn't matter, cause firefox works great, probably better than IE. As for WMP11, I had already used it in XP, but it works much faster in vista. They even put media center in the beta. I was hoping not to lose that.

So in conclusion, windows vista beta 2 is a definite replacement to windows xp. Forget the crap about video cards and performance. In fact, you could run it on an 800mhz machine, and a 64MB video card. If you want it, check out MS's website and apply for testing.

Next post, I'll bring up some information on how gaming is turning out on new windows.

Comments

• How about DRMs?
  • Everytime I format/reinstall XP I think "Wow this is fast". The question is, how long will Vista STAY fast. Thanks to registry rape, Windows has always had the problem of slow down over time. One thing you didnt mention in your blurb there is if you're running the full Aero or Glass or Whatever-its-called-now effects. I know you COULD run Vista on an 800Mhz machine with crap video card but would you WANT too? Im not really sure what new features you'd actually be gaining.
  • All the visuals are maxed out. I checked. It rates your PC at the beginning on how much it can handle of all the features in vista, then it decides the settings you'll have. Full aeroglass looks awesome.

As far as DRM's go, haven't noticed any problems. Leave it to sony to fuck shit up in that department. I think MS has got the message.

As far as speed goes, it hasn't changed. In fact, it's sped up with a few tweaks that I've used on the old windows OS's. Like I said, I'll post more information later, cause this is going to take time.
  • How gaming so far? Did all your programs install fine?
  • Oh, by the way, on a similar note, I've been using Office 2007 beta2. It's definitely a big improvement, but I couldn't see choosing this over Open Office with such a large price difference. It's pretty, and the interface is better, but nothing else really new.
  • Oh, can I talk about gaming, hell yeah. There are some awesome improvements.

One is that it's alot faster switching between the game and the desktop. It's used to be a pain in the ass to answer IM's while playing, but that's changed.

Not to mention, games seem to be less glichy. That's probably an improvement of windows memory management.

One more thing that stuck out that has nothing to do with gaming (well, sorta) but is cool, is that instead of using your hard drive for virtual memory, you can use a flash drive. Now you're thinking, "oh, I could have done that with XP." Nope, this is different. It's used more efficiently. When you stick any flash card or usb drive in your computer, it asks you if you want to test it for Readyboost (MS's word for it). Not that anybody doesn't know this, but flash memory is a hell of alot faster than a physical hard disk.
  • I tried playing CS: Source today after I was done downloading it and it's REALLY glitchy. It's so bad, I've gone right back to windows xp. I just can't stand an OS that can't run steam games properly.
  • Heh, pwned.
  • Yeah, it better be fixed by the time they roll out the full version of vista, or microsofts going to have hell to pay.
  • Oh, even I'm willing to bet that Steam will work in the final version. Vista wouldn't sell at all otherwise.
  • Every version of Windows has bugs initially but if it was released without Steam support that truely would herald the end of Windows dominance. At that point your pissing off you largest cash cow, and that's never a good idea.
  • Vista will sell no matter what, simply because not everyone who buys a computer cares about whether or not it will run Steam. It will still dominate because it will be shipped with every eMachine, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc.
  • edited June 2006
    It runs steam the application fine, it's just the steam games I'm having problems with.

Anyway, I've reverted back to windows media center. Vista just needs those last finishing touches to be excellent. The only reason I switched back over was because of steam, and how badly the games on it ran (IE counterstrike). Otherwise, the interface is great, and all the new additions to getting around on the desktop.
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • Anyway, I've reverted back to windows media center. Vista just needs those last finishing touches to be excellent. The only reason I switched back over was because of steam, and how badly the games on it ran (IE counterstrike). Otherwise, the interface is great, and all the new additions to getting around on the desktop.