This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Death Note, everywhere!

edited April 2008 in Anime
Last night I was in town getting something to eat. To start off, the town I live in is, though awesome, not a very geeky town. Or at least not anymore than the average German city. Another thing you should know is that Death Note has not aired here in Germany, nor have there been any ads for the manga. I've maybe seen 2 people in my 5 years of living here who I could I identify as anime fans.

So anyway, while walking I suddenly hear the Death Note "sound track", the bit of music you always here when L has got a new clue or when the show is building up to something. I'm not sure how to otherwise describe it.
Then I turn around thinking: "Who/ what is making this sound HERE?". Behind me stood a girl talking on her cell phone, me realizing that it was here ring tone. I must have looked at here so awkwardly, since she just stopped talking and asked me what was wrong. I answered that she must have the most awesome ring tone I've ever heard. I then got into a conversation with her and we went out to eat. I don't think I have ever said so much about anime in German. ^_~

I hope you enjoyed that short anecdote. :]

Comments

• I have often wondered how one should go about displaying ones geeky likes in a fashion that doesn't alert non geeks but instantly notifies geeks who share your interest.
  • I must say that that ring tone would be a very subtle way, since to none geeks it just sounds like some classical music, but to most anime geeks it sounds like the theme from Death Note. Of course this wouldn't really solve you problem, since you can't just have you mobile phone constantly ringing.
  • I go around every SINGLE day with my Shippo messenger bag. And though shows like Inu-Yasha, or Naruto tend to be...well...not the 'best' shows though they have a huge fanbase (I just love Shippo) I'm assuming that most people who know of the Inu-Yasha anime would easily point out that Shippo is an anime character, thus: Shippo + visible on bag = hey, anime fan here! Apparently there is at least one anime fan that I know of. I suppose, since I go to a community college, the majority probably doesn't know about anime (especially those who pump rap music out of their car radios so loud it drowns out my iPod). I've probably bumped into someone who likes anime but they probably don't want to say.
  • edited April 2008
    Can anyone think of a subtle action (featured in anime) that one could do and could be returned without non anime fans noticing?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Maybe having some sort of necklace/ bracelet?
  • edited April 2008
    I have a Full Metal Alchemist dog tag I wear sometimes; it looks just like some goth design to anyone who isn't in the know, but I've had fellow geeks comment on it before. A friend also gave me the Penny Arcade "Rogues do it from behind" WoW shirt, which is similarly recognizeable only by WoW players or PA fans. Ringtones would probably be a good way to go, too. My only beef is that my phone does not let me make custom ringtones - epic fail.

Subtle geek fashion tactics by other people I know have included Squall's necklace from Final Fantasy 8, patches on bookbags and totes, and video game ballcaps. There's also Rym's style of "Business on the sides with a little geek in the middle" (a dark suit jacket or blazer with an anime shirt or Threadless tee under it.)
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Can anyone think of a subtle action (featured in anime) that one could do and could be returned without non anime fans noticing?
    This sounds like a closeted gay question. How can I signal the other gays without the straights catching on?

Like Kiwi and Uglyfred said, it's all in the accessories. If you like gundam or any other show with some sort of official looking crest, you can wear on of those on your lapels. hehe.
  • I've found that most of the symbols from Fullmetal Alchemist work well. Most geeks can and will spot them out as being from FMA, and most non geeks will just think they're something else. Downsides is that some extreme religious people consider them devil symbols....
    Oh, and someone thought I was wearing a Slayer shirt (it was the FMA blood emblem from Al)...:D
  • edited April 2008
    A badge or button on your backpack/bag works well too.

Anyways, using subtle things can also backfire, I've said to people wearing Nerv badges "So, you like eva?", most people say "well yes, I do" and start a conversation, but some others look at me with a "OMG rapist" kinda face, so I end up explaining what Evangelion is and they just say "Well, I just saw it at the store and liked how it looked"
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Well, I just saw it at the store and liked how it looked"
    Seriously? That kinda shit actually happens?

Wow, that's pretty sad...

Why is that sad? I think that's kind of cool.

Quite often actually, its either "it looks badass" (happened when I asked someone which Samurai showdown they liked, because of the giant Haomaru on their backs), or just "I liked how it looked"

Quite often actually, its either "it looks badass" (happened when I asked someone which Samurai showdown they liked, because of the giant Haomaru on their backs), or just "I liked how it looked"
    It's better than someone buying an anime article of clothing or accesory and not knowing so. At school I seen this guy with a Naruto jacket and matching orange and blue nikes. I asked him about his attire and he didn't know anything. He didn't even know he was wearing an outfit of a cartoon character. He was just a normy guy buying whatever at Hot Topic to match his ugly nikes.

(I really can't wait for this bright gaudy shit fashion here in DC is over)
  • I just found this shirt while randomly browsing the Ubuntu website.

While it looks cool as it is, lots of geeks would identify it as the the Ubuntu 8.04 mascot.
  • At school I seen this guy with a Naruto jacket and matching orange and blue nikes.
    lol. Wait, didn't those jackets have a big image of Naruto on it too?
  • I just found this shirt while randomly browsing the Ubuntu website.

While it looks cool as it is, lots of geeks would identify it as the the Ubuntu 8.04 mascot.
    Wow, that looks really neat. That's the Hardy Heron mascot? Hmmm...
  • edited April 2008
    At school I seen this guy with a Naruto jacket and matching orange and blue nikes.
    lol. Wait, didn't those jackets have a big image of Naruto on it too?
    Nope, it's the official cosplay jacket. Hidden leaf symbol and all.

Another story is when I was in class and a girl was wearing a Samurai Champloo hat and I asked "Hey, you like that show?" pointing to her hat. Then she said all preppy like "No, I saw it at Hot Topic and it matches my tee shirt." Me and my bud both looked at each other and after class we talked about the posertude.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited April 2008
    I was somewhat surprised by the Ubuntu store's level of style, brown is the new black.
    Idea: Has anyone ever thought of making Tan (as in OS-Tan) patches?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • (Insert stories of normys wearing geek stuff)

Damn, we don't have anyone willing to wear things like that, not even the majority of -geeks-. Which makes me really sad.. And I don't have money to buy any of it, nor the skill to make it.
  • I set my cellphone ringtones to either anime or video game music for the sole fact that I get a kick out of being able to identify other geeks through it. Every now and then, someone looks up with an unnatural curiosity when my phone starts playing the Mega Man 3 theme.

One time when I was in an AI processes lecture, myself and a few other engineers got into a rather heated debate over how liberally one should use synclocks in a multithreaded application. Long story short, someone who'd been sitting quietly the whole time stood up, delivered one hell of a speech and completely ended the argument. At that exact moment I received a text message - and my cell blasted the victory music from FF8. He got a well-deserved standing ovation.
  • Anyone know if they have "The Big O" tee's or other stuff? I'd really love to wear that and have people think something totally different. How did that show get that name, anyway? It's still kick-ass. That'd be a fun experiance...well, next to me gluing a quarter to the floor of my college and seeing if people try to pick it up. I've got to try that some day.

I figure Shippo is a pretty common character to know (even if you don't know his name). Hell, I used to think Shippo was a girl before my anime-geek friend pointed out to me otherwise. I still love him! My friend has talked to some guy who supposedly goes to my school. I doubt he's real since he's never come up to me and my Shippo bag, but whatever...

I sort of make it a habit to not wear clothes from shows I don't know. I've never seen Evangelion - nor do I ever plan to - and I don't want to wear a shirt with anyone on it. I don't really like to explain that I've never seen the show. I'd wear that shirt kiwi posted. As long as there are no characters or the name of the show on it, I will wear it.

I just realized I don't own any anime tees...hm...
  • How did that show get that name, anyway?
    The mechas in Eva are called Eva, the mechas in Gundam are Gundams, the mecha in The Big O is The Big O. You see what they did there?
  • Yeah, I get that - duh... I had meant to say who decided to give that name to Big O, anyway.
  • Yeah, I get that - duh...
    Then you shouldn't have phrased your question to make it look like you didn't get that simple thing at all.
    I had meant to say who decided to give that name to Big O, anyway.
    The director? Watching the anime will probably explain why the mecha is called The Big O.
  • I have "Thousand Night One Night" from .hack//liminality as a ringtone which has caused attracted a few geeks in the mall when they heard it. If you can't customize your ringtone, my suggestion is getting a geeky necklace. Maybe this one.