This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Question of Morality

edited April 2008 in Video Games
I had a heated discussion about this with someone the other day.

Here's the situation: You are playing a friendly stock match of Super Smash Bros, or similar life-based game, against one other person. This person just so happens to mistakenly run off the stage and/or fail an easy recovery. Assuming lives, skill level, and damage are more or less equal at time of death...

Do you:
A. Take advantage of the situation, because it's their own stupid fault
or
B. Take one of your own lives, because otherwise the game is uninteresting.

Comments

• Depends on the situation. If you want to have fun and looking for a less formal competition, go with option B. But if you want to test your skills, option A would be best.
  • A. Take advantage of the situation, because it's their own stupid fault
    Without question or hesitation.

The only exception is when mocking an opponent by killing myself purposefully.
  • Depends on the situation. If you want to have fun and looking for a less formal competition, go with option A. But if you want to test your skills, option B would be best.
    Is this what you mean? I don't see how having a one life advantage on the other guy would help you test your skills.
  • Is this what you mean? I don't see how having a one life advantage on the other guy would help you test your skills.
    No. If they fell because they ran off the stage or missed an easy recovery than obviously it tells you of their skill level. If you want to have fun and have things "equal", than you can fall off too.
  • I would go with A, especially if someone is using a character like Sonic who can easy fall off the edge if they're not paying much attention.
  • B, because the point of playing isn't just to win.
  • A, all the time. There's always next game. Everyone has off games; sometimes you just fuck up. It doesn't mean your opponent has to make up for it.
  • As the person in my grooup who has done this more times than I can count (I like using Jigglypuff's rollout and sometimes I miss-time turns) I would feel bad if anyone of my friends chose B. As rhino says, there's always next game.
  • When you play a board game, you have a rule book. As long as everyone obeys what is written in the rulebook, you can't complain. In a video game there is no rulebook. The source code of the software itself is the rulebook. If the game lets you do it, then it's perfectly acceptable. Smash Bros. allows you to modify the rules of a match. If someone is better than you, and you want a more fair fight, use the handicap setting.
  • If my friend would kill themselves after I made an error, I'd kill myself again! to make it 'unfair' again.
  • You know, I was going to say "Depends", but really, me and my friends would never kill ourselves in game just to make a match more even. We don't work that way, nor do we think about it as being wrong, either. We just consider it someone's fuck up and they can redeem themselves later.
    A true test is if said person who screwed up ends up recovering and winning the match.
  • Do you get a redo if you screw up in life? Go with A.
  • So long as you didn't do something terrible like throw a controller at his genitals kick him in the shins to cause him to fall off I say play on!
  • I would laugh at him for falling off stupidly, and then keep playing there's always next game, if you want to talk fairness.