This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is it worth it...

edited April 2008 in Anime
I have this little habit when it comes to anime/manga...I wonder if anyone else has this habit....Anyway, I always try to read the manga of anything first, then see the anime. I do it this way simply because, should I watch the anime first, it seems pointless to me to read the manga since I know what's going to happen. Granted, some anime episodes are made from each manga chapter, and some are entire manga volumes. I have read the manga after the anime when the episodes are made from the chapters, and I've seen one or two episodes. Otherwise, I wonder what the point is.

Is this the right way to go, or is there a point to reading the manga after any anime series?

Comments

• I do it this way simply because, should I watch the anime first, it seems pointless to me to read the manga since I know what's going to happen.
    If you read the manga first, what's the point of watching the anime since you know what's going to happen?
  • I concure with Sail. Manga usually has more story in it as more time can be taken in written form.
  • Sometimes the manga and anime are almost identical. Sometimes they are very different. Sometimes the manga came first. Sometimes the anime came first. You really have to just figure it out on a title by title basis.
  • edited April 2008
    I concure with Sail. Manga usually has more story in it as more time can be taken in written form.
    Uhh, that wasn't an opinion, that was a mock. My point being that OP's logic doesn't follow.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Hmm. Iunno. I watch or read whatever looks entertaining and whatever I find first. Oftentimes that's the manga, seeing as I work in a store that brings in and sells much more manga than anime DVDs.

To easily answer your question: no, I don't have that habit. ^-^
  • If you read the manga first, what's the point of watching the anime since you know what's going to happen? Interresting point, Sail. It's always good to see the anime to see how they do the voices and just to see the manga 'in action.' Sometimes they screw up the hair, though. Sometimes I think someone has blonde hair, but they color it pink in the anime.
  • It all depends for me. Depending on what I get my hands on first, that's what I read/watch first. If I happen to like what I've read or watched, I'll go out and get the anime or manga of that series, provided it has a manga or anime version.

Though, I think that manga based off of anime is usually pretty crappy, but not so much vise versa.
  • I tend to just read/watch whatever I get my hands on first.
  • I do the opposite... Watch anime first, then read manga.
  • edited April 2008
    How's Ai Yori Aoshi arranged? I know there's an anime and a manga, and I've seen the anime up to ep.9, but never read the manga (and I want to). Are the eps created chapter by chapter, or is each episode an entire manga volume?
    Post edited by writerm on