This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you start an anime club?

edited April 2008 in Anime
I've heard the posts on GeekNights about anime clubs and how to run it, but how do you go on creating the anime club? Is there some "higher-ups" you have to talk to to make your club legit? Do I pole people if they a)know what anime is, and b)if they want a club for it?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I think most schools have a process for creating an "official" club or organization. Just talk to some administration person and they should tell you what to do.

Or you could get a bunch of people to come to some place and watch a bunch of anime. That's probably pretty simple. But it won't be official, it'll just be hanging out with people who like anime.
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • You go to a con, and listen intently to Rym and Scott's panels.
  • If you attend Connecticon, Katsucon, or Otakon, we do annual panels on this subject that have been highly praised.

We'll probably record all of these in the future, and we will eventually put an episode on the topic up in the show proper.
  • I've heard the posts on GeekNights about anime clubs and how to run it, but how do you go on creating the anime club? Is there some "higher-ups" you have to talk to to make your club legit? Do I pole people if they a)know what anime is, and b)if they want a club for it?
    As Rhino said, go through proper processes. While I admit listening to Scrym's panels is good, that won't help ya much in the actual process from what I've seen.

Going through schools are best. I have no clue if you even are a student, in college or high school. High school is much more limiting; teenaged students don't want to spend three extra hours after school -at- their school to watch anime usually because they have other lives (generally). So you tend to watch stuff during noon hour, and depending on that length you might miss some of the episode, or movie watching can be tedious and take several weeks. Then there's a shitshow on ratings, checking and doublechecking licensing and other laws and more - if you had found a teacher. However, it is really fun and if you have a decent group, you can maybe run a con or more. Generally, to -make- the club you just talk to a teacher who may be interested in helping out and they point ya in the direction. It really can be fun and interactive if you can find a way around it. We're still new, so that's why we're still having those troubles.

I have no clue on college, but it's a bit easier - plus, almost everyone can join from the community, not just from the college. ^-^ I much prefer the college club here.
  • In my high school, the anime club basically consists of about ten students who like anime and are all friends with each other. We're semi-official, and we meet for an hour once a week. We try putting up posters advertising it, but the ten of us are basically the only people who come.
  • I've heard the posts on GeekNights about anime clubs and how to run it, but how do you go on creating the anime club? Is there some "higher-ups" you have to talk to to make your club legit? Do I pole people if they a)know what anime is, and b)if they want a club for it?
    What kind of club do you want to start? A College, High School or Local club? all have different needs and concerns.
  • College. If I had heard a while ago that one could start one, I may have done the high school one (and I know it'd work since I know a lot of people who'd go)