This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Video Coming Soon...

Comments

• Heh. There was an article in Linux Journal about linux open source video editors last month. Essentially, they came to the same conclusions you did. KDENLIVE has problems with audio/crashing. Blender is a animation editor at its core. OpenMovieEditor is alright, but a work in progress and not close to being feature-complete. It seems to have the most potential though.

So, to the guy who asked for reasons, eh.
  • edited April 2008
    Once you're ready to upload this stuff, I recommend Vimeo over YouTube. Once it's uploaded and they've encoded it the quality seems to be much higher than your average YouTubeses. Supports HD if you want, 500mb per week upload limit, neat little API, free like YouTube... I'll stop because I sound like a shill and this is my first post but I thought I'd mention it before you settle somewhere else. And this way it's conceivable that if you display any text during the course of your video, viewers might actually be able to read it!

Random quality sample (not my video): http://www.vimeo.com/901242
    Post edited by evilhuman on
  • Once you're ready to upload this stuff, I recommend Vimeo over YouTube. Once it's uploaded and they've encoded it the quality seems to be much higher than your average YouTubeses. Supports HD if you want, 500mb per week upload limit, neat little API, free like YouTube... I'll stop because I sound like a shill and this is my first post but I thought I'd mention it before you settle somewhere else. And this way it's conceivable that if you display any text during the course of your video, viewers might actually be able to read it!

Random quality sample (not my video):http://www.vimeo.com/901242
    There's nothing that stops us from uploading the video to *gasp* multiple places. Also, GeekNights videos will be Creative Commons of some sort, so there's nothing preventing you from uploading them anywhere you please.
  • That's true of course. I just figured that since other people can upload elsewhere, as you say, a) why would you bother uploading to multiple locations yourself and b) why make the primary upload a lower quality version than it could be.
  • That's true of course. I just figured that since other people can upload elsewhere, as you say, a) why would you bother uploading to multiple locations yourself and b) why make the primary upload a lower quality version than it could be.
    Who knows. We might just upload xvids, or H264 iPod video, and make a "true" video podcast.
  • Rym and Scott, for your first video could you just have each of you sitting in front of the camera and saying "Hello, I am Scott/Rym" and then talk about things that would help us recognise you and match names to voices. Holding up pictures of your forum avatars would also be a big help.
    I am still unable to match name to voice to picture.
  • As an FYI, I don't know if the demo versions of Adobe Premiere are capable of this, but Premiere Pro CS3 is capable of exporting directly to FLV format, which makes it quite nice for the YooToobz. It is, of course, quite expensive.

But if the demo can do it...
  • Rym and Scott, for your first video could you just have each of you sitting in front of the camera and saying "Hello, I am Scott/Rym" and then talk about things that would help us recognise you and match names to voices. Holding up pictures of your forum avatars would also be a big help.
    Not bad.
  • You could also take us on a tour of the Geeknights "studio" and also proudly show off (crack of thunder) The Marantz.
  • I think making a highlight reel of your role playing sessions would be funny to see, if the others agree. Seeing all the debates and hilarious stuff some people might accidentally do. Although I get the impression a session of Burning Wheel lasts quite a while.
  • You could also take us on a tour of the Geeknights "studio" and also proudly show off (crack of thunder)The Marantz.
    I second this idea, but I would like to see it go one step farther. Could we have a tour of the GeekHaus please?
  • Wow, yeah! A tour of Geekhaus! I second that.
  • I am still unable to match name to voice to picture.
    Come on. It's not that hard, Rym: Long hair, glasses, smile, tiara. Scott: Short hair, black hair, no glasses, frown, most likely to be to Rym's right iirc. But it is a good idea for those who have never seen images of the two and forgot that Rym has long hair and Scott does not.
  • I am still unable to match name to voice to picture.
    Come on. It's not that hard, Rym: Long hair, glasses, smile, tiara. Scott: Short hair, black hair, no glasses, frown, most likely to be to Rym's right iirc. But it is a good idea for those who have never seen images of the two and forgot that Rym has long hair and Scott does not.
    Besides, as soon as they speak you will know.
  • Sorry I forgot to explain how bad my memory for names was. Think in terms of Ryoga Hibiki's sense of direction (I am 100% serious, no joking around).
  • If you want to see them so badly, look through their Flickr's.
  • Hey -- what ever happened to that 4chan documentary that I think you guys said Scott Johnson was doing?
  • Hey -- what ever happened to that 4chan documentary that I think you guys said Scott Johnson was doing?
    I believe that was supposed to be done by James and Pete, as they were the field team.
  • Yeah, it was James and Pete, I believe, who were mentioned in the episode where it was brought up.
  • edited May 2008
    I also wanted to see that 4 chan documentary. I was hyped up for it... like I was for Katsucon 14: part 2. I can't seem to find it.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Scott's box, now with video! Tremble ye mighty internet.
    Not bad.
    I agree. Except for the fact that I can relate name to voice, but not voice to picture. That is one of the reasons why I am so anxious to see the final product of all of this. Are there any videos that people have recorded on YouTube or Google video of you guys? I've searched and had a horrible time finding anything.
  • Scott's box, now with video! Tremble ye mighty internet.
    Good idea. When the box comes I will post an unedited unboxing video.
  • xcept for the fact that I can relate name to voice, but not voice to picture. That is one of the reasons why I am so anxious to see the final product of all of this. Are there any videos that people have recorded on YouTube or Google video of you guys? I've searched and had a horrible time finding anything.
    Here are a scant few:

• What do you think of making a tour of your house?

That would be really interesting to me- after hearing your voices talking about every topic and more, I've never seen what your house looks like.
    I purposefully avoided making a house tour video, but maybe I will do it anyway.
  • xcept for the fact that I can relate name to voice, but not voice to picture. That is one of the reasons why I am so anxious to see the final product of all of this. Are there any videos that people have recorded on YouTube or Google video of you guys? I've searched and had a horrible time finding anything.
    Here are a scant few:
    Hmm. Wow; I think I would really enjoy myself at one of those panels. Thanks!

That would be really interesting to me- after hearing your voices talking about every topic and more, I've never seen what your house looks like.
    You could always look on Scott's Flickr. I believe there are a couple of pictures, but I'm not too sure. Wouldn't hurt to give it a look.
  • I purposefully avoided making a house tour video, but maybe I will do it anyway.
    I'm telling you Scott, you have to do it with a twist. The Wild Rym idea and that sort of thing. Hone you editing skills by making a "Meet the Scrym" which is actually somewhat interesting. I can help.
  • edited May 2008
    Haha, Meet the Scrym.
    Rym: "I am Heavy Audio Guy....and this [grabs mixer] is my mixer. She weighs 25 pounds and can process 16 separate inputs and 8 outputs all at once. It costs four hundred dollars to use this mixer... for one podcast."

Rym: [Laughs]

Rym: [Checks the mixers knobs]

Rym: "Oh my god, who touched Sasha? Alright.. Who touched my mixer!?"

Rym: "Some people think they can out record me. Maybe, [sniff] maybe. I've yet to meet one that can out record Rezound."
    Post edited by Victor Frost on