This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burning Wheel?

Comments

• Finally got around to getting a real game together; it was everythingIhad hoped it would be. I'm looking forward to whenIcan play with some experienced role players and get an even better campaign going.The oneI
    ran was verystraightforwardand cliche. I'mhoping Ican play some BW atConnecticon.Is anyone getting any BW campaigns together atConnecticon?
    Luke Crane will be there, for one. Also, at least one campaign did indeed form itself during Connecticon the other year: it's a good place to try and meet fellow players.
  • Finally got around to getting a real game together; it was everythingIhad hoped it would be. I'm looking forward to whenIcan play with some experienced role players and get an even better campaign going.The oneI
    ran was verystraightforwardand cliche. I'mhoping Ican play some BW atConnecticon.Is anyone getting any BW campaigns together atConnecticon?
    Luke Crane will be there, for one. Also, at least one campaign did indeed form itself during Connecticon the other year: it's a good place to try and meet fellow players.
    Sweet, hopefully there will be something like that going on.
  • I read Burning Wheel and became enamored. My 4e group was not interested. I couldn't find any local cons that had a game.

I realized the quickest way I'd get to experience BW is by running it. So I stepped up and ran some one-shots of Mouse Guard and Burning Wheel at cons and meetups. Through that, I found the right gamers, and we now have a game.

Everyone here is talking about The Sword, but has anyone played The Gift? The Sword can be a good introduction to the fundamentals of BW, but if you've got a bunch of people (up to 8!) and want an awesome time, give The Gift a shot!
  • The other day, I had a job interview with a tech support company. As I was sitting in the conference room, I saw a set of Burning Wheel books on the shelf. Now, the only place I've ever seen these books, aside from my own bookshelf, was at PAX. When the manager came back in, I inquired about them, and apparently this company works with Luke Crane (and most of the techies are pen and paper RPG geeks).
  • The other day, I had a job interview with a tech support company. As I was sitting in the conference room, I saw a set of Burning Wheel books on the shelf. Now, the only place I've ever seen these books, aside from my own bookshelf, was at PAX. When the manager came back in, I inquired about them, and apparently this company works with Luke Crane (and most of the techies are pen and paper RPG geeks).
    Burning Wheel gets you hired. If it gets you laid, then we'll have a best seller on our hands.
  • Burning Wheel gets you hired. If it gets you laid, then we'll have a best seller on our hands.
    Coming soon - The Burning wheel 2: Horizontal Boogaloo.
  • edited July 2010
    Burning Wheel gets you hired. If it gets you laid, then we'll have a best seller on our hands.
    Coming soon - The Burning wheel 2: Horizontal Boogaloo.
    Chapter 1: The Joys of "Let-It-Ride"
    Chapter 2: How to give someone a Helping "Dice"
    Chapter 3: Why Seductions rolls can't be linked with a Grapple Check
    Chapter 4: The Houdini: A Magic Burner Supplement
    Chapter 5: The Best with Two Backs and Angry Dragons: A Monster Burner Addition
    Chapter 6: More on "Let-It-Ride"... ahhh yeah...
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • I own the books. I have never played, and don't know anyone whou could show me or my friends how to play. I'll see if they run demos at Anime Central, but I doubt it.
  • I'll see if they run demos at Anime Central, but I doubt it.
    A midwesterner! I might be at ACen this year; I'd play with you.
  • Hopefully I'll get a room with my two buds. And possibly my father, or an awesome Muslim guy.
  • edited November 2010
    I will likely vagabond about between friends rooms if I go. However, finals tend to conflict, so that gets in the way.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I got a hold of the Core Book, Character Burner, and Magic Burner. Is there anyone out there that would be up for playing some teaching games with me? Perhaps over Skype or Wave?
  • Yeah that looks pretty badass. 600 PAGES. And a 74-page free pdf intro book, who would have thought!
  • Everybody needs to go to the Burning Wheel wiki and download every single thing that is available there for safe keeping. Knowing Luke he will remove the BWR stuff and you might not have a chance to get it again.
  • Hey gyz. I don't think Perception is open ended anymore. SHITS.
  • Hey gyz. I don't think Perception is open ended anymore. SHITS.
    Luke's been playing that way for a while. It's a holdover from BWC when Observation was a training thing. They figured "Hey, you might see something!" Now that Observation is a skill, there's really no need for open-ended Perception.

What I'm "eh" about is that Perception still only advances on successful tests. I understand their reasoning, but I think the GM can work around that. I may house-rule it away and put a stop to abusing Beginner's Luck Wise checks.
  • edited June 2011
    They tried to clean up inconsistencies for BWG. Perception was both open-ended and and only successes counted for advancement. Without the latter, it advanced too quickly and since it's the root for a lot of skills, they kept it successes-only. But it was one less inconsistency to make it open-ended, and they did that. In short, if it's an important perception roll, spend Fate.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • I'm looking forward to the new Sorcery rules. I played 20 sessions as a 3-lifepath sorcerer, and never once got a Sorcery test. They can only really happen as part of learning a new spell, which kind of sucks given the low-magic setting we were in, despite casting (my two spells) pretty frequently.
  • edited June 2011
    Without the latter, it advanced too quickly
    See, now, this is the part I'm not too sure about. The most abusable thing in that regard is the Beginner's Luck Perception test. Possibly Begginer's Luck Observation as well, but that's less of a concern. I can't see Perception being tested more often than Speed.

But they also changed how positioning works, so it's possible that Perception is now more important in a fight than speed. I will have to judge when I get my copy.
    I played 20 sessions as a 3-lifepath sorcerer, and never once got a Sorcery test.
    Abstractions and facets are the way to get hard-ass Sorcery tests.

Be forewarned: your GM will hate you and attempt to kill you at every turn.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Without the latter, it advanced too quickly
    See, now, this is the part I'm not too sure about.
    That's what Thor said, and I believe him.

In our games, Perception gets tested all the time. Noticing details, listening through a door, finding a secret entrance... Speed tests would be frequent for Fight! and Range and Cover, but less so for Fight! with the new positioning rules presumably. Perception came up a lot more, to the point where I'm saturated with tests except for the one damn Challenging success I need.
  • I played 20 sessions as a 3-lifepath sorcerer, and never once got a Sorcery test.
    Abstractions and facets are the way to get hard-ass Sorcery tests.
    The GM was new enough to the Magic Burner and I was new enough with Burning Wheel that we didn't bother using anything from the Magic Burner. At this point, if we revisit that campaign, I would definitely take a look.
  • Noticing details, listening through a door, finding a secret entrance
    See, those are all Observation tests, so those should be Beginner's Luck and not necessarily the sort of thing that generates a Perception test.
  • Soooo, anyone up for a Burning wheel session at PAX?
  • Noticing details, listening through a door, finding a secret entrance
    See, those are all Observation tests, so those should be Beginner's Luck and not necessarily the sort of thing that generates a Perception test.
    No, Observation is quite specifically noticing hidden people.
  • Soooo, anyone up for a Burning wheel session at PAX?
    I've been to so many PAXes, I think I'm going to declare one day at PAX West this year as DAY OF RPG. My goal is four RPG sessions. One before lunch, two afternoon, one after dinner. We'll have to see what the panel schedule is like.
  • I'm down for the BW with you.
  • No, Observation is quite specifically noticing hidden people.
    And characters using Inconspicuous, which is not always the same thing as being hidden. And don't forget Sleight of Hand.

For example, quiet conversation behind a door, trying not to be heard? Inconspicuous. Trying to hear that conversation? Opposed by Observation. Well within the RAW.

Now, say you're trying to listen in on a conversation behind a door. Did the conversing party have an intent to not be heard? No? Then I Say Yes. No obstacle to set because it's not being opposed.

The only one that could be considered questionable is the "noticing things" intent, and that can almost always be distilled into a Say Yes or some other skill. Looking for a hidden door in a dungeon? Beginner's Luck Dungeon-wise. Granted, that is Perception rooted, but the Ob doesn't necessarily need to be something that would give a test. Looking for loot? Give me a Scavenging test. Again Perception rooted, but again it will eventually open to a skill.

Basically, I expanded Observation to include "finding things" because the number of times that roll is actually an Observation test (or a test at all) isn't really that great.
  • We're going to have to agree to disagree, since I think inconspicuous is a form of hiding. It breaks down to task and intent. The description of Observation in the Character Burner is very specific.

Perception to hear and understand the conversation through a door. Observation to notice someone trying to not be noticed. Looking for loot that's been hidden is Perception, but Scavenging would depend on what you're looking for and where but would not generally include loot.
  • We are missing an option on the poll.

'I own the books and don't want to play'

I'll buy anything Luke Crane produces because his stuff is interesting and well put together and he is a local games designer (for me anyway).
    BW is far too crunchy for my tastes and abilities but it spawned Mouse Guard which is my 'go to' hack system.