This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burning Wheel?

Comments

• Insta-backed.
  • You guys are so late you didn't get any of the limited goods.
  • None of the limited goods seem valuable to me, so I'm fine.
  • None of the limited goods seem valuable to me, so I'm fine.
  • PDF in July is pretty swag.
  • So if that's the case Scott, did you or Rym get the special ultra rare cocoa bean hand leather bound editions?
  • So if that's the case Scott, did you or Rym get the special ultra rare cocoa bean hand leather bound editions?
    I was not even that fast. They really set their prices too low. These guys keep underestimating their demand levels.
  • Those were sold out basically immediately.

Also, these guys continue to undersell themselves. I would have priced those books at around $1000, and I would have had additional high-money tiers.
  • PDF in July is pretty swag.

Also, these guys continue to undersell themselves. I would have priced those books at around $1000, and I would have had additional high-money tiers.
    It's clear they didn't want to deal with extra swag and stretch goals. They'd rather just make games and books.

It's clear they didn't want to deal with extra swag and stretch goals. They'd rather just make games and books.

They could still sell just as many and get more money by raising the prices.
  • I never understood Collector's Editions of rpg or rule books in general. Invariably, whatever game it's for will come out with a newer, better version, and you're left with a very pretty, overpriced obsolete book that gathers dust on your shelf.

Every time I see people doing this, especially with Games Workshop products, where you KNOW, they're going to release a new version in 4-5 years, I just shake my head.
  • The basic book and pdf prices are legit. I would also always have a $1 tip jar note (even though anyone can always just donate a dollar) for poor bastards like me that just want to show support. As for more higher rewards and stretch goals: yeah, they are lacking.
  • I managed to switch my pledge to the signed and numbered version in the 50 they did today while it was quiet at work. One of my coworkers cheekily asked me later if I won my eBay auction as I was exhibiting those kind of tendencies. :) That's not a bad guess just from seeing me clicking and reading my body language.
  • I just got the preview document. Character creation rules.

I love it already.

I love it already.
    Is it like Mouse Guard's?

"Dost thou fear demons, dragons, and beholders? If yes, claim thy point of +1 Common Sense; thine self may be neither Bold nor Obstreperous!"

I love it already.
    Is it like Mouse Guard's?

"Dost thou fear demons, dragons, and beholders? If yes, claim thy point of +1 Common Sense; thine self may be neither Bold nor Obstreperous!"
    Yes, very much so.

• Not strictly Burning Wheel, but I have a timelapse of Inheritence from Burning Con 2012.

Four hours of 100% in-character role play, and a spate of deaths at the end!
  • Just watched the episode of Adventure Time where Finn and the Flame Princess go on a dungeon crawl date (season 5, episode 12).

Finn realizes that he doesn't need to carry a torch in the dungeon if his girlfriend is made of fire.

How powerful would a girlfriend made of fire be in Torchbearer?
  • I'm just starting a Burning Wheel campaign online with a few friends. We're pretty new to the system (we've only done a single one-off before this).

I'm starting to think our plan is a bit ambitious. The goal was to play high society politics in an unstable kingdom. The first problem we have encountered was during character burning. The suggested lifepath count is around 2-3 for beginners. To get into interesting positions in the noble setting (viscount, knight, justiciar), we needed 4-5 lifepaths.

We've played a couple sessions so far, and I've found flashback scenes to be useful and a lot of fun. The setting takes place shortly after a war between two dukes. The flashbacks are to different battles in the war. We are half using this to learn some of the Burning Wheel rules for combat but also it's generating history that the players will remember, for once.

Any tips for running Burning Wheel will be much appreciated. At the moment, I'm still struggling a bit to find the right obstacle levels, but I think that'll sort itself out in time.
  • I got the Hub and Spokes PDF. Might be too close to the event to play at my social group's annual christmas party but maybe next year (or I'll get a group actually in my town). This might also work for a setting I'm imagining in my head and need to commit to paper.
  • Hey guys, I know Scott already volunteered, but would any of you be interested in running The Sword a couple of times for /r/burningwheel? I'm looking for one more person before I post the player sign-ups on Monday. In that regard, do you think Google forms is a good idea for sign ups? At least to have all of the player data organized.
  • Not sure if burning wheel or Entire Observable Universe
  • Apreche said:
    Aww, for a second I saw "codex" and thought "Burning Wheel with Space Marines." Now I'm disappointed.
  • I own two editions of Burning Wheel, but no one to play them with. Not sure if I'll back this :(
  • Don't you work with a bunch of nerds over at the money printing factory? I feel like you have a significant concentration of the right demographic.
  • I think I'm finally going to dive into Burning Wheel with this. Backed the level for both books.
  • Might back this at some point. I know I'm going to get the book sooner or later anyways. Although I guess it's just slightly rewritten Monster, magic and adventure burners which I already have.
  • I would have gotten a signed copy but in the process of seeing 15 available on there and grabbing my wallet they were gone.