This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080409 - Newspaper Comics

Comments

• I haven't listened to the episode yet, but if you didn't mention Fox Trot as win, you need to die in a fire.
  • You guys mentioned all the best comic strips. Calvin & Hobbes and Bloom County were always my favorites.

As one of the 1-2% who would probably preorder comics based on Scott's recommendation, I vote for the preview Scott's Box rather than the review. But why not both?
  • edited April 2008
    I haven't listened to the episode yet, but if you didn't mention Fox Trot as win, you need to die in a fire.
    They did mention Fox Trot. For most part, I think they liked it.

As for more Get Fuzzy comics, the archive only goes as far back as 2005. I haven't really read it past then from the treasury books I have, so I can't find the ones I really liked. However, I did find a few that are amusing, to me at least. For Scott, who knows? :P

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Yeah, not funny.
  • Yeah, not funny.
    Meh, it was worth a shot, but I think it's funny as well as gomidog, so I'll take that.
  • I just recently started reading Get Fuzzy and I find it to be funny, I also started reading Zits and while it is fairly cliched, it is still pretty funny.
  • What will happen if I say that I prefer Garfield comics over those Get Fuzzy comics Ro linked?
  • edited April 2008
    I always try to keep up with "Doonesbury", "Life in Hell", "Pearls Before Swine", "Brewster Rockit", "Lio", "Tom the Dancing Bug", "This Modern World", and the editorial cartoons of Pat Oliphant and Tom Toles.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • "Tom the Dancing Bug","This Modern World", and the editorial cartoons ofPat OliphantandTom Toles.
    Political cartoons I put in a separate category. I am also very much a fan of Tom Toles and Tom the Dancing Bug. I like Danziger cartoons a lot too.
  • What will happen if I say that I prefer Garfield comics over those Get Fuzzy comics Ro linked?
    Nothing. Who cares?
    Nothing. Who cares?
    Death at the stake.
  • Yeah, I agree with Scott about Get Fuzzy. Not funny, plus I dislike the artwork.

Also, does anyone have a mirror link to that x-men thing of the day image? The link on the geeknights page isn't working for me.
    Nothing. Who cares?
    Death at the stake.
    Guess who cares Ro. *flees*

• Also, does anyone have a mirror link to that x-men thing of the day image? The link on the geeknights page isn't working for me.
    It's working for me.
  • Yeah, I agree with Scott about Get Fuzzy. Not funny, plus I dislike the artwork.
    I agree also, though I think the artwork is fine.
  • I double took when Sky Doll was mentioned.

Mostly because the three published volumes were published Heavy Metal Magazine in the one issue (it's the only issue I own) a couple of months back.

What's Marvel up to if they think they can get some monies that look as if the character designer of W.I.T.C.H. was beaten within an inch of his life with the adult themes stick?
  • Peanutses?
  • Jason, just because you work for a newspaper and look funny doesn't make you a newspaper comic.

• Also, does anyone have a mirror link to that x-men thing of the day image? The link on the geeknights page isn't working for me.
    It's working for me.
    Oh wow....adblock was blocking it.
  • Hey man, Scott said it, not me. And I write the comics on the front page :D
  • Am I the only person on this entire board who consistently laughs at Dilbert?
  • I'm in the Get Fuzzy sucks camp as well. Dilbert...well I don't know. At the thrift store I got a Dilbert book from less than a dollar and haven't read it yet. My memories of reading it in the paper are hazy.
    No. I regularly chuckle at it.
    I laugh at it every now and then.
  • This was mentioned above but I've got to draw attention to it again: Lio.

I've recently started reading the comics page at work and this one always give me a good chuckle. Very light on text, it mostly relies on hilarious facial expressions, etc. I liked it enough to pick up the first collected volume.

Same link as above to "Lio."
  • This episode made me read my other old favorite strip Baby Blues. I think it's still funny.
  • This episode made me read my other old favorite strip Baby Blues. I think it's still funny.
    Really?
  • edited April 2008

Stolen from a somewhat relevant image challenge on B3ta - Make Newspaper comics funny.
    Be warned, some are NSFW.

Edit - Adding my personal favorite to show you a rather better one.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2008
    The best Garfield site there is or will ever be: Lasagna Cat.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • Somewhat relevant xkcd comic, as... well I won't ruin the end. But given the content and the geekdom of the show I think many will like.image
    Alt text is ""Unsafe vehicles, hills, and philosophy go hand in hand."