This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

In search of beta Geeknights...

Comments

• Probably a file called "logitec microphone" or something.
  • oh shit I found them. It is way more simple than you would think.

"So, nah-nah-nah-nah, nah-nah-nah-nah"
  • I feel like the class dunce.
  • Amp said:

I feel like the class dunce.

• Pegu said:

Amp said:

• You think Im joking? Im still proud I learnt how to embed youtube videos. I might as well be bashing rocks and throwing poop in this place.
  • You needn't look as far as you may think.
  • The end of my bed? The archives?
  • Amp said:

• Greg said:

Amp said:

The smarter you are, the less smart you feel.

• Well I must be the genius in the room as I'm chowing down on a box of crayons. I shall return the search tomorrow.
  • Just a reminder.
    Rym said:

Whoever figures it out and listens to them will be a guest on a Thursday episode of GeekNights.

• I want to give more hints but will refrain so as not to compromise Scrym's Patreon campaign. So basically will just reaffirm what I already said and what ninjarabbi said: it's easier than you think it is and you'll kick yourself if/when you figure it out. Considering it took me seven goddamn years of on-and-off searching for these things, I feel like the biggest dunce of them all. D'oh.
    Pegu said:

Just a reminder.

Rym said:

Whoever figures it out and listens to them will be a guest on a Thursday episode of GeekNights.

Hahaha, I'm down if okeefe and ninjarabbi are!
  • Eryn said:

I want to give more hints but will refrain so as not to compromise Scrym's Patreon campaign.

Sounds like a patron-only deal then, eh?
    It's not that I want to listen to them. I just want to know.

FRICKIN

WHERE.
  • edited October 2015
    I didn't find them with anything to do with the Patreon. Eryn just doesn't want to make it so simple to let everyone figure it out and take away the Patreon incentive.
    Eryn said:

Pegu said:

Just a reminder.

Rym said:

Sure, why not?
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited October 2015
    More in the sense that I don't want to make their Patreon re-release incentive moot by intentionally pointing more people to where the episodes are.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Eryn said:

Pegu said:

Just a reminder.

Rym said:

Sure, why not?
    We'd need a good topic. The beta episodes?
  • While I haven't found the beta episodes yet myself, so I don't know what's on them, so this might not work. But perhaps one topic would be to analyze what they discussed from the perspective of a decade later.

You could talk about how the views and thoughts on those topics have changed, and where those industries and ideologies are today as compared to how they were back then, and how they got there?
  • I feel like the kid who had to stay in during recess to do homework, and I missed when Pat jumped from the swings all the way to the grassy part.
  • edited October 2015
    Pat sprung her ankle though and had to go the Nurse's office. Now none of us are allowed to jump off the swings. Dammit Pat.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited October 2015
    UncleUlty said:

While I haven't found the beta episodes yet myself, so I don't know what's on them, so this might not work. But perhaps one topic would be to analyze what they discussed from the perspective of a decade later.

You could talk about how the views and thoughts on those topics have changed, and where those industries and ideologies are today as compared to how they were back then, and how they got there?

That could possibly work, seeing as a lot of what's in both the beta episodes and the earliest public episodes seems to have to do with Jack Thompson (JAAAAACK THOMPSON), a man whose brand of crazy has been entirely usurped by the GamerGate brand of crazy in cultural conversations on gaming. I'd have a ton of stuff to say about that and would like to hear what you guys and Scrym have to say on it as well. As for other topics, though, it might be hard. Having listened to a few of the episodes so far, they are so rambly that it's hard to follow the specific topics sometimes.

I would like to talk to Scrym about what happened to the "sig" though. :P
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Maybe it could be a meta-analysis of how Scrym improved as podcasters, and things they did in the beta episodes that anyone who wants to make podcasts (or content) shouldn't really do.
  • I did find it interesting how dated some of the anecdotes were and how things have changed since then. Like "There's this new thing called X." Or "X is getting really cheap!"
  • edited March 2016
    I'm trying to find them before they get released officially. I feel like I'm real close but wayback machine is a dick. It has both of these URLs recorded but doesn't have a backup of them: http://protoman.rh.rit.edu/~apreche/audioblogs/geeknights http://protoman.rh.rit.edu/~apreche/podcast I also found a bunch of other weird shit. Apparently Scott made minecraft? and there's this weird frc d&d campaign
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I want to say something but I don't want to ruin it.
  • Pegu said:

I'm trying to find them before they get released officially. I feel like I'm real close but wayback machine is a dick. It has both of these URLs recorded but doesn't have a backup of them: http://protoman.rh.rit.edu/~apreche/audioblogs/geeknights http://protoman.rh.rit.edu/~apreche/podcast I also found a bunch of other weird shit. Apparently Scott made minecraft? and there's this weird frc d&d campaign

Ohhhh I miss that game...
  • edited March 2016
    I just want to reiterate that it is much, much simpler than you think.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • I didn't make Minecraft. It was my project for Computer Graphics 2 at RIT. You couldn't walk around or move the camera or anything. It was like, you could just draw any Minecraft block you wanted in 32-bit color. No textures. Solid color blocks only. Then you could only look at them at a few angles. If you exported the drawing to a file and opened it in another app, it would render slightly nicer thanks to me using an out-of-the-box shader.

Here's the blog post from the audio blog. http://www.apreche.net/audioblogging/ The blog I used in college ran on Blosxom. I exported all the content from that to WordPress.

The protoman.rh.rit.edu server ran in the apartment of Rym and I. It was my old computer after I upgraded. When you're in college you have two static IPs per person and an OC3, so who needs hosting?

The D&D campaign was actually on a different server in Alex & Greg's apartment. It ran PHPBB. That is where the D&D game happened and where the beta geeknights were originally posted. That server was named after the home planet of the space pirates, if you know what I mean.

Too bad, though. Even if that server were still running, you wouldn't be able to login to the PHPBB without like, some security flaw or something. And while the links to the MP3s were shared in that PHPBB, the MP3s themselves were hosted elsewhere.