This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So, I just bought a Wii...

edited April 2008 in Video Games
Ok, so I just bought a Wii, and ow I'm looking for games. I know, of course about all of the first party stuff, and I doubt that I'll buy much of it, SSBB especially. I have enjoyed Nintendo systems in the past, but I've never been a coolaid drinker when it came to first party Nintendo games. I might pick up the new Zelda game, but I've heard the GC version has much better controls. I picked up a couple more old GC games while I was in town, including Eternal Darkness, so asside from buying all of the RE games, I'm pretty set on that end. I haven't played GCgames in a while, mainly because my GC broke, and there wasn't enough compelling reasons to replace it.

So, what are some good 3rd party titles? I was looking at Ghost Squad and Elebits. Any other suggestions?

The funny thing is, I've been trying to get a Wii since launch, and this is only the third one I've seen on the shelf. The other two times, I didn't have the money on me, and they were gone when I went back.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    No more heroes, and if you end up liking that you could try Killer7(GC) another one of Suda51's titles.
    Post edited by Magic on
  • edited April 2008
    3rd Party Titles I own:
    Zack & Wiki: Awesome adventure game. Pretty much a must buy or at least a must try
    Bully: Scholarship Edition: If you like GTA kind of games, pick this one up
    Guitar Hero III: Well, I'm addicted
    SSX Blur: Very fun snowboard game. It's pretty cheap now.
    Trauma Center: Second Opinion: Very nice puzzle/precision game
    Call of Duty 3: Do not buy this piece of junk

I will probably buy Elebits sometime since I heard it is really good and it's only 20€ anymore, but I dunno when since GTAIV comes out at the end of the month and next month will be Rock Band (I also own a 360) ^^
    I will also buy No More Heroes once it drops in price.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I have Bully on the PS2. Guitar Hero? That I don't need, between my 360 guitar and Frets on Fire.

I had forgotten that they ported Trauma Center to the Wii, but I played most of the way through it on the DS. Zack & Wikki is one of the games that the crew on 1up Yours is constantly saying is a good one, so I might get that next. Of course, now they are talking about Boom Blocks, so that might be next...

And do you know why CoD 3 sucks, while CoD1, 2, and 4 are great? Activision wanted CoD to be a semi-annual franchise, but Infinity Ward can only work their magic so fast. Activision realised this, so they got Treyarch to do the expansion for the first game, and CoD3. And now they are working on CoD5. What that means to gamers is this: If you like CoD4, wait for CoD6 to play the next game in the series.
  • edited April 2008
    Hehe. 1 Up Yours were also the ones that got me interested in Zack & Wiki and now that I played it, I wholeheartedly agree with them.

About CoD3: The firefights are ok, but nothing exciting and rather dull in comparison to Metroid. If you want a WW2 shooter, you might want to go with MoH: Heroes 2. I haven't played it but heard lots of good stuff about it and that it is also has excellently implemented Wii Controls.

What drags COD3 down are the randomly thrown in Wii mote gimmicks. It's a nice idea in theory, but horribly implemented. Rowing the boat works, but that is pretty much the only one. Another task you do with the Wii mote is steering vehicles as if you were holding a steering wheel. However, since you don't have an axis (no pun intended) between the two controllers, you tend to horribly over steer.

The game also makes you set up explosives at specific points by Wii mote gestures, which most of the time don't respond at all. But the one that takes the cake is the hand to hand combat which basically comes down to random flailing, which I never figured out, and is rather unfair since you have to wrestle down your opponent about 3 to 4 times before you can kill him, while you die immediately if the Nazi soldier wins a single one of them.

For me, this is a textbook example of how not to use the Wiimote.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • For the time being the Wii really is all about first party games. Why did you buy one if you don't like Nintendo's games?
  • For the time being the Wii really is all about first party games. Why did you buy one if you don't like Nintendo's games?
    I'm going to have to agree there - of all the Wii games I've begged, borrowed or owned, a good 90% or more of the good ones were first party Nintendo games.
  • Elebits is wonderful.
  • For the time being the Wii really is all about first party games.
    I hope this changes really soon. The 3rd party devs are really dragging their feet.
  • For the time being the Wii really is all about first party games.
    I hope this changes really soon. The 3rd party devs are really dragging their feet.
    Well, unlike Sony or Microsoft, Ninetndo doesn't make deals with third party developers to make games for their console. For instance, Bioshock was developed for the 360 and PC because Microsoft helped pay for said development, and for a lot of advertising. We know how much money Nintendo will throw at advertising for their games, and the third parties know that they can't match that kind of dough.

Nintendo is overshadowing the third parties, and that isn't a good thing.
    For the time being the Wii really is all about first party games. Why did you buy one if you don't like Nintendo's games?
    I haven't enjoyed a "Mario" game since they went 3d. II forgot about Paper Mario though. I will be picking it up. The Zelda games made a much smoother transition to full 3D though. And I haven't liked any of the Metroid fps's. That isn't because fps's can't be done on console, because they can. II don't like the Metroids because the controls feel like shit to me.

I don't like the Nintendo sports games because if I were to want to play a sports game, I would like a sports game. I've tried them, I just don't like them. And don't get me started on the Smash Brothers series...
  • Paper Mario
    If you're buying a Paper Mario game to play on your Wii, buy the GameCube one.