This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Total Household Hard Drive Capacity.

edited June 2006 in Technology
Hard drives are on my mind today. Last night I installed a Netgear Storage Central SC101 on my network. I put two 250 GB drives I bought off woot.com for $50 each. It's terrific and it's letting my finally move some stuff off my 400 GB drive on one of my machines so I can reformat and remove the Mac files that I can't seem to delete.

All this computer geekery led me to assess my total hard drive space available throughout my home. It's no secret that I love hard drives and I don't believe you can ever have too much storage space. I have two TiVos and I am always pulling shows and movies off of them through TiVo's TiVo to Go Service. This fills up hard drives quickly.

I sat down and looked at all my computers and devices and came up with 4 terabytes of total storage. Now mind you, in my office with the four computers on a KVM that I use all the time, this accounts for 2.4 TB alone. The rest are in my modded TiVos and my iMac and the assorted other computers around the house. If I had my way, I'd have 3 more of those NAS units with the new Seagate 750 GB drives in them!

The Netgear NAS unit is going to help me get everything organized so I can better use the storage I have. I know I've got files duplicated everywhere. I should fix this. Or... I could just buy more hard drives!

What's your total household hard drive capacity?

Comments

• Here is the output of the linux command
    df -h
    on all the comptuers in the house, except for Rym's desktop. I've removed any lines referring to file systems which are not on hard disks. And of course, /boot and other unmounted file systems do not appear. There are two shitty old drives in my room not being used; one is 3.2G, the other is 4.3G. My work laptop has a 100G drive in it. iPod nano 4G, iPod mini with broken screen, 4G. Thumb Drive 512MB. CD and DVD burners need not be mentioned. Soon Rym and I will either build a separate NAS, or more likely, just install a software RAID in the server computer. Then we will take all our media files off of the desktop drives and put them over there.

My Desktop:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3 74G 25G 49G 34% /
    /dev/sdb1 150G 126G 24G 85% /mnt/media
    /dev/hda1 20G 17G 2.5G 88% /mnt/winxp
    Living Room PC:
    /dev/hde1              37G   31G  3.6G  90% /
    Server:
    /dev/hda1              36G  2.5G   32G   8% /
  • edited June 2006
    Off the top of my head:
    160 GB - Windows PC
    80 GB - Linux PC
    80 GB - iMac
    40 GB - iBook ( it is actually ~37)
    I have 400mb HD in my garage, another 350mb in the old DOS PC next to that and 600MB in the PPC mac next to that. I also should have a 2G out there, but have no idea where it is. I also have an old laptop which I think has a 20G in it.
    That comes to about 383 GB total.
    EDIT: Forgot about my other PC with a 40G, bringing it to about 423.
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on
  • Mine's a simple setup compared to you folks. iMac with 40 gigs internal with two external enclosures: one 120 for backups one 250 for media storage.
    I plan on getting a laptop this summer and building a nas in the fall but right now I'm limited to to ~ 400 gigs.

Man, never thought I'd say "limited to about 400 gigs". Funny how that stuff just fills right up, though.
  • Dear lord... This would be a nightmare to work out....

My PC has 560GB, my Lappy has 60GB, 60GB in my iPod, 40GB is my USB hard drive. My Linux PC is 20GB.
    My Brother has 240, plus a 20 GB iPod.
    Dads PC's (Server incl.) have an unknown amount of hard drive space. May be more than My PC, but I'd doubt it. He's also got a 60GB iPod. He and Mum both have lappys, with unknown amounts of space.
  • 20GB in the desktop
    60GB in laptop
    3GB in shitty laptop
    15GB in Dell Jukebox Mp3 Player
    20GB in Xbox
    1GB in my cellphone
    40GB in this hard drive I don't use

So....159GB. Wow, that's nothin'.
  • In my desktop I have a 250Gb and an 80Gb hard drives. On top of that I have a 6 Gb iPod mini and a 32Mb USB drive. A point to ponder, 10 years ago the total storage space was 1.6 Gb.

That's me personally. In my household, one housemate has a laptop with about 20Gb, another has desktop with about 80Gb, and the third has a desktop with a 250Gb hard drive and another one. There's also the gateway computer, but that's just running of a cd at the moment, but we may be adding a hd to it later.
  • Windows PC - RAID0 380 GB.
    Laptop - 48 GB.
    Removable HD (iPod) - 30 GB.

Family PC - 120 GB
    Sisters PC - 140 GB
    Brothers MAC - 80 GB

SO total...798 GB's
  • My PC: 160 GB
    Mom's PC: 40 GB
    Dad's PC: 40 GB
    Flash drive: 1 GB
    Flash drive: 64 MB

Total: 241ish GB
  • 250GB split on desktop hard drive partitons
    80GB On dad's laptop
    17GB On crappy desktop
    4GB on crappy laptop
    3GB on Mp3 players
    1GB on psp
    ---
    355 GB
  • Loz, I believe the correct term for "crappy laptop" is "craptop". ;)
  • Gah, I think it's kind of impossible for me to work out because I live in a house with like... 5 computers, 1 laptop with a broken battery, 1 laptop with a broken screen, more removable hard-drives that I dare count, MP3 players which may or may not work, SD cards, old stuff in the garage, 2 palm pilots and some other random gadgets which have drives. I'm not even gonna bother trying.