This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I wanna be the guy

edited April 2008 in Video Games
Has anyone played I wanna be the guy? I think it's the hardest thing I've ever played. Nintendo hard. Well, Battletoads might be harder. But if it is, it's not by much. It does require a download, and I think it's only for windows. For serious, it takes a stupid long time to get past the first two screens.
P.S. It has cool music too.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    How do you even clear the second room? The one that you jump into.

[Edit] Ah, got it. Tricky, tricky.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • And the music better be cool since you hear it every time you die!
  • It reminds me of how Scrym described why Mario was so good. You have an extremely limited skill set, so as the levels get harder, you have to figure out how to use your abilities in new ways. Your dude can only jump, double jump, and shoot. And you don't even really use shoot much.
  • edited April 2008
    Arg, I'm stuck on the Shy Guy room. That jump to avoid the spike in the middle is fucking difficult.

[Edit]Oh, and this game plays great in WINE for any other linux users out there.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The series of videos the creator of the game made to show people how to beat it are absolutely hilarious. It took him around twenty or so tries to defeat Mike Tyson.
  • It reminds me of how Scrym described why Mario was so good. You have an extremely limited skill set, so as the levels get harder, you have to figure out how to use your abilities in new ways. Your dude can only jump, double jump, and shoot. And you don't even really use shoot much.
    you can also wall jump.
  • Heh, there's four difficulties, and the lowest is Medium
  • edited April 2008
    Oh mans, the Bowser/Wart/Wily in Clown Car fight is awesomely hard.
    EDIT: Though really Wily's the only problem.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Heh, there's four difficulties, and the lowest is Medium
    Aye, Burger King addict I guess. I mean, Medium is supposed to be IN BETWEEN! Awesome game, but I never have the patience to redo something more than three times XD
  • Fuck this game. I love it! Screen two... aaaaaagh!
  • I must agree to the awesomeness of this game. I finally have the base technique for beating Wily down (no, it did not take me all the time since my last post to do it =D)

Screen two ftw though.
  • Which is screen two? Apple trees or the one with spikes EVERY-FUCKING-WHERE?
  • edited April 2008
    I think people refer to the one with the spike pwnage, yes. That is the one I meant.
  • I think people refer to the one with the spike pwnage, yes. That is the one I meant.
    What the hell can you do there? You can't return up, you can't go on... I tried my best, but can't find any hidden blocks :(
  • edited April 2008
    You'll get it soon enough I hope :)

Also, on the topic of difficulties, all they change is the locations (and quantity) of save points. I'm playing on Medium so I get a few extra saves labelled "Wuss".
  • What the hell can you do there? You can't return up, you can't go on... I tried my best, but can't find any hidden blocks :(
    Here's a clue: the answer lies in studying the "game over" screen.
  • edited April 2008
    Just managed to kill Wily... but he took me to the grave with him.
    EDIT: AND there's a difficult sequence right after the boss fight, with no save.
    edited April 2008
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I LOVE THIS GAME! So what the hell was this time space warp blue thingy supposed to be? I mean, they said the savest room was above the clouds (go watch Cloud8745's vids on Youtube, hilarious), but I didn't die there...
    EDIT: AND there's a difficult sequence right after the boss fight, with no save.
    What about using the save point before the boss fight?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited April 2008
    (go watch Cloud8745's vids on Youtube, hilarious)
    I would, but I'm afraid of spoiling good bits.
    What about using the save point before the boss fight?
    Doesn't let me go back

EDIT: I had a look at Cloud's vid of that fight, and guess what? you were right. You just had to jump at the side of the map to save, I was trying to walk through (different elevation).

EDIT: Going to sleep. I got up to here:

Cmon Rym, Scott, we want you in this thread.
  • I hate I wanna be the guy. I hate it so much that I have cleared it twice on once on medium and once on hard. And I still open it for time to time and do something random. I thought it would be over when I got it, but no I had to do it again and even now after second cleared game I want some more. I hate that game, but I also love in weird twisted way.

The game is well balanced between difficult jumping, spike dodging stuff and totally random deaths. Also I love the Nintendo thing. And it made me hate the Ghost's and goblins music.

But best thing here is that I have save in I wanna be the game where I have cleared the game with 1337 deaths.

What a great....awful...great...something game.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm up to the second boss - Dracula from Castlevania!!!!
    He is EVIL. I hate the floating electric brain things.
  • It is about time....now people can realize how hard it was for me being coldguy, pathetic guy wannabees...
  • edited April 2008
    Mother Brain was just plain evil in this game, but I've beaten all 6 lesser bosses now, and am 7500km out from The Fortress of The Guy.
  • I wish I could switch controls to my gamepad. I couldn't find an option for that anywhere.
  • I switched to hard, forgot to tell you guys.

Also, I WON!!!!! I AM THE GUY!!!!
    The game says 6:46 Playtime and 2513 Deaths, but I WON!

This game is just epic. More of you guys should play it.
  • I hate apples so much now.
  • I finished it on Very Hard. The ghosts & ghouls part is horrible on that difficulty. Though, basically, any part of the game becomes a lot harder when so many saves are removed.
  • edited April 2008
    Yeah, I tried this game a few times, decided it wasn't worth my time, and deleted it. My attention span is nowhere near high enough to get me to play. :-\
    I hate apples so much now.
    They're more like... large cherries. ;-)
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • If anyone's interested, it started at this forum. That forum has many indie game developers and other similar small games.
  • So Scott, what do you hate about this game so much?