This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

edited April 2008 in Art!
We already have a thread for concept art, so why wouldn't we have a thread for some finished pieces? I'm talking fully coloured, shaded, and/or inked pieces! Post away!

Comments

• edited April 2008
    NOTE: I am terribly sorry about the quality of these images. They are digital photos of the actual pieces.image
    This is the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland and is done in oil paints.
    Fatasized version of Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland. The castle is coloured pencil, the water is done in water colours, the fire works are pastels, and the sky was airbrushed.
    I call these the "Scary Chairs." I drew some old chairs but horribly distorted both the shape and the colours. Done in oil pastels.
    This is a picture of my rabbit, Thumper, opening his Christmas present. I drew it as so that it would look like you are looking through my camera at him. Done in coloured pencil.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I call these the "Scary Chairs." I drew some old chairs but horribly distorted both the shape and the colours. Done in oil pastels.
    Neat.
    This is a picture of my rabbit, Thumper, opening his Christmas present. I drew it as so that it would look like you are looking through my camera at him. Done in coloured pencil.
    *looks again* OMG! That blue carpet is drawn! . . . Is the bunny also drawn? And the present? They look too real to be drawn!
  • They look too real to be drawn!
    Thank you very much!
  • Scary chairs are my favorite of the group so far. I love art done on darker paper and in this case it's cardboard!
  • Wow. I love those chairs.
  • @Li_Akahi - Those are nice! I never had much luck with oils myself. Isn't that the Sleeping Beauty Castle, rather than the Haunted Mansion?

Here's a page I just finished for the comic I'm working on (for hire, not my script):
  • edited April 2008
    @Li_Akahi - Those are nice! I never had much luck with oils myself. Isn't that the Sleeping Beauty Castle, rather than the Haunted Mansion?
    What? The one on the top is the Haunted Mansion and the second piece is Sleeping Beauty Castle.
    Anyway, your comic is very well drawn and the detail and inking is amazing. Good job!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Holy crap, Funfetus, that's awesome!
  • @Li_Akahi - Those are nice! I never had much luck with oils myself. Isn't that the Sleeping Beauty Castle, rather than the Haunted Mansion?
    What? The one on the top is the Haunted Mansion and the second piece is Sleeping Beauty Castle.
    Anyway, your comic is very well drawn and the detail and inking is amazing. Good job!
    Oh, crap -- I totally missed the actual Haunted Mansion one. Sorry about that. I should read posts more carefully.

Thanks for the comments. :)
  • Yeah Funfetus, your stuff is pretty awesome. You a professional?
  • Yeah Funfetus, your stuff is pretty awesome. You a professional?
    Not yet, but I think I'm getting close. I am getting paid to draw this, and it's being published, but I still have a crappy day job (night job, actually), and I couldn't live off what I'm getting from my art.
  • Funfetus, your use of black and white is nicely balanced. You do great work! How long does it take you to do a comic page?
  • Funfetus, your use of black and white is nicely balanced. You do great work! How long does it take you to do a comic page?
    Thanks, man. It probably takes me 10-12 hours for an average page right now. I've been drawing all my life, but actually drawing comics pages is pretty new to me. Every page, I run into new things I haven't had to deal with before, and it ends up taking longer than I'd expected.
  • Funfetus, I have always been surrounded by comic book artists and I know how much work is involved, so I totally have the utmost respect for anyone who does comics! Oh, and I agree with Mankoon on your balance of black and whites. I think it is the strongest part of your work. Keep it up man!
  • Funfetus, I have always been surrounded by comic book artists and I know how much work is involved, so I totally have the utmost respect for anyone who does comics! Oh, and I agree with Mankoon on your balance of black and whites. I think it is the strongest part of your work. Keep it up man!
    Thanks, man. Yeah, it's a crazy amount of work, but for me, drawing comics is so much more rewarding than making single images. It's like as soon as you string a few panels together to make something happen, it's some kinda magic. Thanks on the black/white balance thing -- that's something I got REALLY into when I was a teenager, and I kinda got away from it when I was doing more concept-art type stuff, but it seems like I can't keep the heavy blacks out of my comics work if I try. :)
  • edited May 2008
    I just got back the first colored pages for the comic I'm working on. I didn't color this myself, but I'm so stoked to see how my first professional work is going to look when it's printed.

Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Damn, that looks amazing. What is it gonna be called?
  • Thanks, man. The book is called Machine. I'm just drawing it, it's not my own project. I'm not sure when it's coming out.
  • Cool Funfetus, though I have on complaint, how does a bullet make a 90 degree turn in someone's brain? And how is the body guard behind him still alive, was the angle that big as for the bullet to dig itself into the podium before his feet? The number of stripes on the flag differ And the red stripe behind the president's head (last panel) looks weird (the continuation under his arm looks too far to the right), but that's because his face is in front of it. And the suit in the first panel looks like he has a lot of but. Other panels are awesome though.
  • Damn funfetus, This looks very pro. I hope I get to see more stuff from you. Give us sneak peaks of pages, if you can!

@ Myself: The page looked good to me for the most part. I'm not just defending Funfetus's work but I think your kinda nit picking.
    "how is the body guard behind him still alive?" I don't think they are in the same angle. Looks like the bullet was coming from above, maybe if the guard was a midget, he would have died.
    "And the suit in the first panel looks like he has a lot of butt." Some men have big asses.

I think the last panel's angles are a little strange, but I kind of dismissed that as a way to enhance the chaos in that panel.
    Anyway is it ok to critique in this thread? I could go into critiquing people's work in here but sometimes it's seen as being rude unless they asked for it.
    edited May 2008
    "how is the body guard behind him still alive?" I don't think they are in the same angle. Looks like the bullet was coming from above, maybe if the guard was a midget, he would have died.
    The shot was indeed from above, and yes most likely in any normal situation the bullet would've either not left the head, or burried itself in the stage before that guard's feet. However, I am asking why he is still alive for we can see that the exit wound of the bullet sprays blood right in the man's face, thus the bullet should've also shot the bodyguard in the face if we follow that trajectory. If it missed him barely, then where's the bullet hole in the wall?

Also, the bullet entered from the front, while the shooter is high up. Taking the current position of the head of the president into account the blood that sprays from the wound on the forehead should be spraying the the direction of the body guard who is standing behind the president. And the exit wound should be spraying blood down the back of the president. Neither of which are the case.

Now, I agree that it is nit picking, but I'm only pointing these things out as to help Funfetus pay more attention to these kinds of details so that he will become a better artist and will get better jobs and perhaps one day might draw world famous comics.
    Anyway is it ok to critique in this thread? I could go into critiquing people's work in here but sometimes it's seen as being rude unless they asked for it.
    Every form of art should be critiqued when displayed/preformed, if the artist cannot take said critique they shouldn't be displaying the art.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I was thinking the same thing. It is typical for a podium to be centered in front of a flag. The blood splatter on the one guy's face just messes up an otherwise perfect frame. If you remove the blood splatter from the agent it will look much better.
  • It is typical for a podium to be centered in front of a flag.
    Ah yes, that too, I didn't notice that until now. It indeed looks like if the president were to look over his right shoulder that he would be able to see the entire flag. But enough nitpicking for now, I want to read Funfetus's reponse!
  • Anyway is it ok to critique in this thread? I could go into critiquing people's work in here but sometimes it's seen as being rude unless they asked for it.
    Every form of art should be critiqued when displayed/preformed, if the artist cannot take said critique they shouldn't be displaying the art.
    I agree with the both of you. As a general rule, I think that art threads should assume that they won't be critiqued unless it's mentioned in the topic that crit is wanted. I'm only saying this because the threads started out as a show and tell. Another reason is that it helps prevent unnecessary flame wars. Once Emily or I get mod status, we can post some guidelines and enforce them.
  • Once Emily or I get mod status, we can post some guidelines and enforce them.
    You can post them now, no need to have mod status to set up some guide lines, the only downside to not being mod is that the community has to accept the guide lines. Which I doubt will be a problem here.
  • Some of us use words to paint a picture while others paint pictures to tell a story. Expecting neither of those two things to be critiqued on these forums only shows your lack of understanding of the members of this forum. I expect everything I do on these forums to be critiqued by someone!
  • edited May 2008
    Some of us use words to paint a picture while others paint pictures to tell a story. Expecting neither of those two things to be critiqued on these forums only shows your lack of understanding of the members of this forum. I expect everything I do on these forums to be critiqued by someone!
    I am well aware that everyone gets critiqued on everything around here. I thought about making it the other way around but I considered what Mankoon said. It made me think that there are different types of audiences on this forum and ones who are interested in the art thread may want different rules. At least, that's my initial thought. I think you're right and I'll change the rules so it's the other way around.
    You can post them now, no need to have mod status to set up some guide lines, the only downside to not being mod is that the community has to accept the guide lines. Which I doubt will be a problem here.
    Eh true. I initially wanted to wait because I wanted to make it a sticky, I guess that can wait some other time.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • For the record, I am ok with critiques. I'm all for learning and doing things better. I'm still new to these boards and to what the general vibe is here. I would like to see everyones work. I hope no one here would refrain from posting because they wanted to simply share their work and didn't want to get their art ripped apart. I think it's a good idea to put some guidelines in the sticky. You can add some suggestions for a good critique and suggestions on how to take critiques. It's not too uncommon in art forums.
  • Sweet, I catalyzed an argument!

Thanks very much for the comments and criticisms, everyone. I do appreciate critiques, and if I post something, I always understand that it's up for scrutiny. Myself -- you bring up good points. It probably is unrealistic for the guard behind the politician to get splattered with blood, but still be alive, etc. I guess I didn't think too hard about that stuff. Point taken. Anyway, this page has already come and gone, and I really doubt it's anything that's going to prevent anyone from understanding or enjoying the story, especially in the context of a complete issue. I'll try to pay more attention to that sort of thing in the future, though.
  • Damn funfetus, This looks very pro. I hope I get to see more stuff from you. Give us sneak peaks of pages, if you can!
    Yes!