This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• zehaeva said:

except wetter.

Ew.

• zehaeva said:

Romantic relationships are just like friend relationships, except wetter.

That makes this much more creppy

• First date (defined as first time we hung out alone, as opposed to with other friends) was a Doug Stanhope show. Very risky gamble, but she loved it. She didn't love me, but she loved the show.
  • My first "date" was, I suppose, to a small production by my high school's drama department (I think it was an improv thing)?
    I'm not sure I understand what a date is supposed to be like anymore, though, seeing as I haven't had one in over two years now.
  • Because relationships should happen organically. Throwing all this "formality" into it is just a recipe for disaster.
  • Maybe. I know some people who really like dates. I dunno. Everyone's different.

If you're a stay-at-home and game/watch shows & movies type of person, you should probably be romantically involved with people like that, who might not care about "dates." But, if you're a person who goes out and gets nice dinners, goes out to the movies a lot, goes to performances (music, theater) or sports games, then you will likely be involved with someone similar and actually enjoy going out on more formal dates. Everyone is different!
  • I mean, me and my girlfriend go out and so stuff all the time. But it's usually just spontaneous and there usually isn't that much planning involved. Maybe that would still be considered a date. But also there is basically no distinction between that and me asking a buddy if they want to go to a movie or something. There isn't any dressing up, no formality to it. Just doing stuff.
  • We usually declare a date night when one or both of us had a bad day. :P
  • In classic fashion I did not realize my first date was a date until about two and a half hours in, when she told me she was really glad I asked her to come hang out with me. I thought she was cool and wanted to play videos and talk about dumb stuff with, apparently she thought so too.
    Regularly, my "dates" are me just spending time with my partner. We've never been the most structured, so a date can be anything from "Let's do homework across from each other and chat and joke" to "Let's play/watch/do this thing". Typically, we're sort of just around each other, and that just makes whatever activity we're doing measurably better. I do however, make a point to go out and do something nice with one another once or twice a month, like going to dinner and a movie, or a show she wants to see.
  • My first date was in high school, it involved a movie I didn't like, and then at dinner afterwards he proceeded to tell me how everything I was into was stupid and I wasn't a real geek, and that everything he was into was obviously superior. Oddly enough, there was no second date.

First dates in general (especially if you're meeting someone you've been talking to online for the first time) I tend to suggest drinks at a bar, then dinner somewhere nearby. Gives you a chance to bail if things aren't clicking. Coffee shop + walk in a park/around the neighbourhood for daytime.
  • edited October 2015
    Koeniou said:

My first date was in high school, it involved a movie I didn't like, and then at dinner afterwards he proceeded to tell me how everything I was into was stupid and I wasn't a real geek, and that everything he was into was obviously superior. Oddly enough, there was no second date.

Yeah sounds real charming.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Koeniou said:

My first date was in high school, it involved a movie I didn't like, and then at dinner afterwards he proceeded to tell me how everything I was into was stupid and I wasn't a real geek, and that everything he was into was obviously superior. Oddly enough, there was no second date.

Huh, funny that.
  • He was actually shocked, he thought it was the best date ever.
  • Koeniou said:

He was actually shocked, he thought it was the best date ever.

For someone with his outlook, I'm sure it was.

• If you only have one date it's going to be the best ever lol.
  • Technically correct strikes again!
  • Nice one Victor.
  • edited October 2015
    So, update time:
    The date went... really really well. Everything just felt easy and right and fantastic and we both really like each other. We had a serious conversation today about how things were going so far and we both saw things continuing along this trajectory. So, girlfriend get!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • So, update time:
    The date went... really really well. Everything just felt easy and right and fantastic and we both really like each other. We had a serious conversation today about how things were going so far and we both saw things continuing along this trajectory. So, girlfriend get!

I can only assume Friday night party lines and such will stop being on Friday nights :-p
  • They were on Friday nights in the first place?
  • My first date was to Woolworths for stationary, super fucking hot. But alas it was doomed to fail. Six months later she threw that stationary at me from a window, ah year 7 the passions I hardly knew.
  • Alexandria Hampton left her drama at the fire watchtower on Mount Beacon... pic.twitter.com/NMk6QEllPi

— Rym (@schezar) October 11, 2015
  • edited October 2015
    Cremlian said:

So, update time:

I can only assume Friday night party lines and such will stop being on Friday nights :-p
    Nah, Saturdays are really our best days for dates. FNPL was moved this week because of a birthday party.

They were on Friday nights in the first place?

Yeah. For, like, the last couple of years.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I haven't been in a relationship since my first girlfriend broke up with me over two years ago. It was hard and I still have feelings for her/think about her sometimes but we haven't had any contact. A few months back, I decided to give up my pride and try OkCupid. I got one date out of it but in the end, I wasn't really attracted to the girl. Now I feel like I've messaged everyone I'm remotely interested in on there and I'm at a bit of a loss as for what to do now. I know I have my whole life ahead of me and yada yada but it feels like I've exhausted the options I have at the moment.
  • So, fuckin' chill dude. You are you, regardless of if you're dating someone or not. You're not lesser, because you lack a romantic attachment. Just be happy with yourself and being in your own skin for a while, the rest will come as it may. There's no trick or method, you just wander and grab what opportunities pass by.
  • Best thing you can do in moments like that is to self improve. Go Exercise more. Learn a new skill. Do things that will both make you more interesting and improve your personal life.
  • Cremlian said:

Best thing you can do in moments like that is to self improve. Go Exercise more. Learn a new skill. Do things that will both make you more interesting and improve your personal life.

^ this
  • Basically, just focus on doing things that make you happy, and continue to be awesome. If you meet someone that happens to respond to that, then great! If not, guess what? You are still happy and awesome.
  • Pegu said:

I haven't been in a relationship since my first girlfriend broke up with me over two years ago. It was hard and I still have feelings for her/think about her sometimes but we haven't had any contact. A few months back, I decided to give up my pride and try OkCupid. I got one date out of it but in the end, I wasn't really attracted to the girl. Now I feel like I've messaged everyone I'm remotely interested in on there and I'm at a bit of a loss as for what to do now. I know I have my whole life ahead of me and yada yada but it feels like I've exhausted the options I have at the moment.

Be patient with OKcupid, my current girlfriend contacted me first and she's totally awesome. Took a while though, I think I had a profile going for 2 years or so.