This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Clinton wins

Comments

• It doesn't matter much, though, because she only can close the gap (of 166 pledged delegates, according to a CNN reporter), by about 16 or so delegates. She needs near-total victories in every single upcoming primary in order to have a fighting chance of having enough super-delegate support to actually win the nomination.
  • Plus, this is with how many precincts reporting?
  • Currently 61%.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm seeing 54% Clinton, 46% Obama.

Pretty tight race, it seems. Only 73% reporting so far.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • It's my fault, I'm sorry I should have quit my job and worked full time for the campaign...
  • GROAN!

She can win, just make it less then 5%
  • Eight percent is not a tight race.
  • edited April 2008
    Eight percent is not a tight race.
    CNN is now reporting a 10% margin with 89% reporting.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Ten percent is not a tight race.
  • Wow. This is the first time I actually made a correct prediction.

Too bad for Obama. He needed to keep it closer for the pressure to really mount on Hillary to withdraw. Still... considering how big her lead was a couple of weeks ago, he did very well.
  • Yea, Ugh. Stupid PA.. Why do you fail me.
  • Hillary can still win.
    "Hilary's campaign is history." That is one very good vid.
  • The democratic party is just sad.
  • The democratic party is just sad.
    Al Gore, Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, and Barack Obama are doing everything they can to change that. ^_~
  • Hillary's 10 point victory is pretty much the worst case scenario for the Democratic party.

Here is what I don't understand. I just don't get why she isn't attacked on her necessity to override the will of the people in order to gain the nomination. She's out there saying that "every vote should be counted," but she's ignoring the fact that those votes will then have to be discarded. Why doesn't someone really attack her on that hypocrisy - or at least get her to commit to respecting the will of the voters.

The Democrats are really shooting themselves in the foot - and Hillary is the one pulling the trigger. I'll have absolutely no respect for the Democrats if they forget this 4 (or 8) years from now.
  • Got it within .1%.

Also, this mostly means that this will be decided sometime between the last primary and the convention. There's still a pretty damn good chance that it'll be decided before then.
  • If you add in the votes from the two states that don't count she leads in the popular vote.

Neither Obama nor Clinton will have enough "pledged" delegates come convention time which means the party insiders will decide the nominee. Which also means some groups will be really pissed off after the convention.

If Obama is the Democrats choice why has he not won anything significant since February? Why is Hillary still in it? The number of Republicans crossing over to vote (and no one seems sure whether they are going Hillary or Obama's way) has not been statistically important enough to decide any of the primaries.
  • edited April 2008
    The democratic party is just sad.
    Al Gore, Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, and Barack Obama are doing everything they can to change that. ^_~
    No, Al Gore is still sad. Fuck him and his bullshit.
    Yep, it's totally cool to come in after winning the nobel prize with a big group of hummers (I guarantee someone is gonna say this didn't happen and whatnot, so lemme just say right now that this is just a rumor I've heard).

Other than him, I like the democratic party, though.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • No, Al Gore is still sad. Fuck him and his bullshit.
    Yep, it's totally cool to come in after winning the nobel prize with a big group of hummers (I guarantee someone is gonna say this didn't happen and whatnot, so lemme just say right now that this is just a rumor I've heard).
    So you don't like Al Gore based upon a rumor you heard?
  • I wonder what is being said in the Edwards home. Is his wife giving him a daily ration of shit for dropping out too early?
  • If you add in the votes from the two states that don't count she leads in the popular vote.
    But this does not count the states that caucused. And we know those states mostly went for Obama.

Besides, counting Michigan, where only Hillary was on the ballot, is just plain silly.
  • I wonder what is being said in the Edwards home. Is his wife giving him a daily ration of shit for dropping out too early?
    Edwards has a shot at getting on the Obama ticket post-nomination, so I don't think his wife is too upset.

On topic, I have heard that Clinton needs to win every single state left with about 75% of the vote each time AND get 80% of all the non-committed super-delegates in order to pull ahead. At this point, it is, for all intents and purposes, impossible for her to win.
  • And the media hasn't jumped on this because?
    If they said this they would lose ratings. The News is loving this drawn out contest it keeps people interested in Politics! (People interested in their leaders who would have thought)
    If they said this they would lose ratings. The News is loving this drawn out contest it keeps people interested in Politics! (People interested in their leaders who would have thought)
    Not to mention, as long as the media says Clinton can still win, people will pay attention to her, and therefore the media corporations covering her. Advertising revenue is a powerful force.
  • Chris Matthews speaks teh truth.
  • edited April 2008
    And the media hasn't jumped on this because?
    Not to mention, as long as the media says Clinton can still win, people will pay attention to her, and therefore the media corporations covering her. Advertising revenue is a powerful force.
    So.. it's a conspiracy..
    Afterthought: Link doesn't work. Apparently the conspiracy generator is on holiday. Help yourself to some randomly generated media hype.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Chris Matthewsspeaks teh truth.
    He has it wrong. They've been planning to write Clinton's political obituary since Iowa. It's talk radio that is keeping Clinton alive not Chris Mathews.

The Chris Mathews media wants Obama to win.

What I find most amazing about what Mathews says is not what he is saying but the truth he has revealed. The truth that the media has far more power than it should in the political process. By choosing what stories to run (or not run) the media can effectively make or break any candidate. They can even do it just by choosing a headline.

Look at McCain, he was just about out of money before Iowa yet he went on to win the nomination against a far better funded Romney. Edwards dropped out of the race far too early expecting the race to soon be over based on how the media was covering Obama (the messiah).
    So..it's a conspiracy..
    Afterthought: Link doesn't work. Apparently the conspiracy generator is on holiday. Help yourself to some randomly generated media hype.
    Not so much a conspiracy (I like the generator, though), but good business practice.