This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The raw numbers: Counterstrike and MMO's

edited June 2006 in Video Games
This site has extensive data on the player base of every MMO ever made. (Assuming you agree with NCSoft that Guild Wars isn't an MMO.) Yes, including The Realm, which is still up and has a few thousand players on one server.

Bottom line: World of Warcraft has 6.5 million subscribers, with over a million of them based in the U.S, a million in EU/Aus, and most of the rest in East Asia. Lineage (1) is in second place, and Lineage 2 in third, with around 1.5 million each.

The only numbers I know of for Counterstrike came from the CLQ back in the day. I remember being flabbergasted that my favorite quake 2 mods with their x thousand players were totally steamrolled by over a million Counterstrike players. Of course, the CLQ registers only unique nicks, and there's a few problems with accuracy there, but there's really no alternative for a game that doesn't require purchase to play.

Those statistics may not have been quite the height of Counterstrike, so I'm not sure if it ever passed 6 million active players. It's also hard to compare active players to MMO subscriptions, since a good portion of subscriptions go unused for a time.

But Counterstrike was definately popular, huge popular, and it was the first appearance of the Dust phenomenon: given a grand abundance of servers, dozens of good maps that everyone can play, and a million or more players, 90% of them are playing de_dust.

Battlefield 2 continues this proud tradition with certain city maps. Why bother with map rotation? Obviously, city maps are the ultimate expression of the shooter. Just ask the millions and millions of micropeople who play Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, with nothing but urban maps.

But that's not why I stopped playing Counterstrike. To get me to stop, I had to basically stop playing games altogether, which I did for a brief period. Then Steam came out, and I refused ever to touch it.

But yeah, Counterstrike was cool.

Comments

• Steam had a few technical issues back in the day, even though I personally had no problems. But nowadays it's a really slick system and is paving a new distribution channel for PC games. IMHO the only thing wrong with Steam nowadays is that there is no official Linux client.
  • For a long time, I was with Ken. Early Steam was a steaming pile. It was unstable, it was annoying, many features didn't work, and it really felt like there were nefarious ulterior motives in rolling something like that out. Several of the mods I played didn't work properly in it, and you had to really go out of your way to make it usable.

Over time, it got better. It eventually became awesome. I'd still be using it today if there were a Linux (or Mac) client. ^_~

I'd say you should give Steam another chance now that it doesn't suck, but that might unleash a torrent of gaming that may well ruin you. (I worry what will happen to my precious little free time once I get BootCamp working) ^_~
  • edited June 2006
    Way back when, I never had a problem with Steam. It never really did anything annoying other than make me download 300 megs on dialup when I had perfectly good CDs and the latest patch sitting right-the-fuck there, and there wasn't a got-damned thing I could do about it. And that was only once.

Last time I used it to re-play HL1 was about a year ago. I had no issues then, and it was just fine. I havent yet played HL2, since it still costs one-fucking-hundred dollars. Thats, like 75 US Bucks. Thats what a new game costs for the first week its out, then it drops to 90. But no, not HL2. Nearly 2 years later, its still more than I pay for anything, including a full series of anime. I don't know what it costs to buy it online, but I don't give a shit what it costs to buy online. I'm not paying a stack of cash for a non-cd version of a game that I have to download every time I feel like randomly playing a few levels, or accidentally fry windows, or whatever. The reason I buy games is so that I have it right there to play when I want to, and so that I have a nice pretty thing to hold in my hands.

To be honest, I ALWAYS hated Counterstrike. I played it for 5 minutes one day, decided I hated it, and have done since. I've given many of the upgraded, etc. version a shot, but have hated all of them.

EDIT: Wow... that turned out angrier than it was meant to be ^_^
    Post edited by deaf-mute on
  • edited June 2006
    Why is Half-Life 2 a hundred dollars? Where are you?

Also, you shouldn't fear buying games online. I bought HL2 and HL2:episode 1 online, and I couldn't be happier. As long as you have broadband, the downloading is hardly an issue. I spent more time waiting for Planetside to load than I did downloading HL2. Also, because of the way Steam works, you really never have to worry about not having your game. If you sign in to your steam account from any computer ever, all the games you have paid for will be available to you.

I also think Steam is really good in that it creates a new distribution path for independent game developers. Games like Darwinia, which might never have made store shelves, can now do well. Steam allows independent developers to lower costs, increase profit margins, reach wider audiences, and avoid the evils brought on by big-name publishers. It also makes games cheaper for the gamers. If Steam were for Linux and more independent games were sold on it, I might be a hardcore PC gamer.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • $100 Australian Dollars. Thats what it costs to get it from a shelf.

The main issue I have with downloading it is the quota it takes; We have a not-bad internet plan, and we get 40GB per month. As it is, it gets brutalised. I'd rather not add to it.
  • Wow, I can't believe you have a bandwidth quota. In the US it's a flat monthly fee for as much bandwidth as you can use. They only limit your speed, no quota.
  • edited June 2006
    Yep, shaped to nigh-dialup after 20 GB peak (6am-12pm) OR 20 GB off peak (12pm-6am).
    Thats what makes it annoying. If it was Just 40GB, it would be okay.
    1500 internet without a limit is nearly unheard of here. Theres a plan I can see after a quick search - $160 per month. thats US$143.874 per month. Over double what we currently pay, I think.

I just like to have something to hold in my hand; It can be availalable on any PC I sit at, too, and I don't have to download however much when I sit at that computer.
    Post edited by deaf-mute on
  • You don't have to download whenever you sit at the computer. You download the game once. Then it just automatically downloads small patches whenever they are released.
  • "that computer" refers to any computer that I sit at with steam on it. Having to download it again each time would cause an uproar...

8Meg internet mostly costs more than the plan I mentioned before if its going to be worth a damn. I saw a Hilarious package; $250 per month, 8MB per second, 120GB download quota, Every GB after the quota costs $100. Worst thing is, its not a bad deal around here...
  • note to self: do not move to Australia.
  • No kidding, between that and the copyright law that doesn't allow you to rip your own CDs (though the RIAA is already interprieting US law to do just that) it's a wonder there aren't geeky riots in the streets.
  • Doesn't steam allow you to create a set of backup files from what is downloaded so you can install again later without having to re-download everything? You could even burn that backup to a CD if you had to re-install windows or install on another machine. I bought the retail copy, though in my case because it had the best price for what pieces I wanted to buy.
  • Burned.

I downloaded Steam so I could get some CS going on. The installation was painless enough, as was the account creation.

Rather than finding and installing half-life, applying 9 years of patches, and then downloading the mod version of CS, I figured I'd shell out the 10 bucks and get the standalone game plus CS:Condition Zero.

So I click 'purchase'. Nothing. Again. Nothing.

Apparently the steam: protocol doesn't work. Fine, I modify my registry and start over.

Nothing. I click purchase a dozen times. Nothing. Can't play the game at all.

This is exactly the problem with things like Steam. It seems great, and it benefits everyone. But if it fucks up, everyone is screwed, where they wouldn't be if people were more free to do with the software as they please. Yay.
  • First of all, CS:CZ is pretty bad. Not worth $10, that's for sure. As for your problem, I have no idea. I've never had a problem with Steam. Did you try the Steam forum for help? Have you modified Internet Explorer in any way? Steam uses IE to do all it's stuff, and if you screw with IE it can cause problems.
  • The fair use laws are about to be, or have been changed, so we should be able rip our cds now. The thing that pisses me off most is that lots of stuff doesn't get released here, and if I "pirate" something that isn't licensed here, the US people can just forget about all international law and stomp me, even though I'm not breaking laws (Its been done before)...
  • You don't have a bandwidth cap in the U.S.?
    In Ireland mine is 30GB/m, which is quite good. And over that you pay €1 per mb!

Crazy...yes
  • There is no bandwidth cap here, just a limit on speed. I theoretically get 6mbps download and 1mbps upload. Thats megaBITS per second, not megabytes. Of course, the server we use for web hosting does have a bandwidth cap. It costs us $80 a month and we can do 200 Gibibytes of total data transfer with it each month.
  • It also depends on the ISP. In general, if your bandwidth usage exceeds 95% of the rest of the network, they send a letter asking that you either reduce your usage or upgrade to a commercial account.
    At least, that's how Blue Ridge Cable operates.
  • Isn't it amazing that, to this day, CounterStrike is still seeing constant action? I can play a no-ping game any hour of the day and have a few hundred or thousand server from which to choose.

The downside is that Counterstrike is still more enjoyable, even as late as this past weekend, than many newer games I've tried. Will it (or some iteration of it) ever fall into obscurity? I would almost say that it's had more staying power than any other multiplayer FPS ever, having had only two major updates and mostly incremental improvement.

People used to talk about Doom killers or Quake killers. But nothing ever killed CounterStrike. Why?
  • People used to talk about Doom killers or Quake killers. But nothing ever killed CounterStrike. Why?
    It's because Quake and Doom killed themselves. They made new games that people migrated to that were not as good as the high point in the series (or people started to fragment) counter-strike other then source hasn't really sequel-ed itself out of existence. The differences between Source and the original are mostly cosmetic.
  • edited June 2010
    I thought about this for awhile. I think I stumbled upon the reason CS is so popular and will not die.

In the olden days, Quake, etc. were rocking. The thing was, Internet play was hard and inaccessible. Half-Life was a stupid popular game. Stupid popular beyond all prior games in the genre. According to Wikipedia it had 8 million sales by November 2004. Unlike prior games, Internet play was accessible. WON still sucked compared to what we have now, but it was infinitely more accessible than finding IP addresses or dialing up. Too bad that Half-Life itself had shit multiplayer. Enter Counter-Strike.

On top of that, Counter-Strike the game is just very very good. It introduced no respawn. It introduced quality objectives other than CTF. It has a high skill cap, requiring very precise aim. However, the speed is lower, and there is no crazy jumping or anything, so the skill leans more towards tactics and less towards dexterity, making it even more accessible. Just live Civilization, there's a strong psychological trap of "one more round".

That's why CS became popular, but why has it stayed popular? What Cremlian says is definitely true, but there are two bigger explanations for the staying power of CS.

The biggest reason that CS is still popular is because it has near infinite replayability. Every map can be played from two sides. There are a ton of great maps. There is a huge variety of weapons. There are multiple different ways to go and ways to approach each map from each side. Not even to mention how the game itself is a mod, yet is very moddable. You really can't run out of things to do in CS. Look at now, people are talking about this gungame thing.

Contrast that to a game like L4D. There are only so many modes and so many campaigns. Once you've beaten them all, you stop playing while you wait for the next update. There are some fan-made L4D camapaigns that can provide replayability, but they really don't cut it. It's very hard to make a L4D campaign that doesn't suck. CS maps are relatively simple.

So you've played out L4D, and you're waiting for Valve to release more campaigns. You've got a hankering for some FPS action. What do you play?

Counter-Strike. Everyone has it. You can always whip it out. It's the default fallback. Sure, there's still a large CS community out there, but I think for most players, CS is filler. When you want to play an FPS, and you've played everything out, fall back on CS. There's a lot of people out there with no new games, so at any given moment, thousands of people are falling back on good old CS. The same way that board gamers fall back on Settlers/Puerto Rico.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2010
    note to self: do not move to Australia.
    You wouldn't survive anyway. Not as a matter of the wildlife or fauna, the weather would get you first.

But idly insulting Scott and how he's softer than a junket sandwich aside, Here's the deal with Australian internet and games.

Games:
    We get fucking gouged on prices. People were complaining in the US when the PS3 lauched at 600-700 dollars. In Australia, the PS3 launched at $1000, and that's not even including buying games, which are about 120-130 a pop. You wanna buy Rockband 2 at launch? Kiss 250 bucks goodbye.
    On average, the prices go as such.
    Consoles, you're looking at about 400 to 500 for just a console, no games - Except for the wii, which is around 300.
    360 or PS3 game - just a game, 120 to 140 bucks, depending on where you go. A collector's edition, or a game that comes with peripherals? Anywhere up to 250.
    Wii Game, you're looking at 90 to 100 bucks.
    PC games off the shelf, you're looking at 90-100.
    Most of the time, if it's below that, it's going to be either old, or shovelware.

As for the internet -
    Our hardware is slow. We've got terrible internet, and it doesn't look like we're getting better internet until we either bend over and take the Great firewall of Canberra right up the clacker without complaining, or we fuck off Stephen Conroy. Till then, unless you live in Tasmania, the National Broadband network is nothing more than an expensive, ongoing failure that Rudd is pouring your tax dollars into, for no result.
    As it is, though, there is a good reason for having metered internet, even if it sucks - Companies purchase bandwidth in bulk, and give it out to their customers. It would be foolish not to pass the cost on to their subscribers.

Also, the laws and regulations in Australia are different to the USA, and also, you should consider that we access far more offshore content. Interestingly, part of the reasons for the download caps IS the USA - because the vast majority of companies are purchasing bandwidth from American companies, who are charging ridiculous prices for it, to the point where it's extraordinarily hard to pass on unmetered internet to their customers. It's simple - Get the American corporations to stop acting like fuckwits, and we've got a much better chance of getting unmetered intenet.

Also, there are services which you can use that don't actually contribute to your download cap, thanks to pairing agreements - but there is no gaming service that has a pairing agreement, and thus, gaming on most consoles or on the PC is going to chew up your cap faster than Chris Farley at a buffet.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2010
    It's simple - Get the American corporations to stop acting like fuckwits,
    That will never happen, because all American internet companies are interested in the EU, Asia and Australia as secondary customers. Even if there are more people in a place, with more internet users, with more money per head and better technical skills; they are still obsessed with American money. It seems over time that American net companies don't want my money or eyeballs. Also on the topic of MMO's, why the hell do I want to play with the rest of Europe, do I look like I want to play a game in German? I think that game companies should totally start paring servers on language, not location.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • American Money
    I totally listened to that CD earlier today. Randomness.