This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DS Browser

edited April 2008 in Video Games
Has anyone tried using the Opera DS browser? I was thinking of picking one up for when I travel and go to a restaurant or coffee shop with Wi-Fi.

Comments

• I've used it.
    The response is slow, and it can be a pain scrolling down a page. When the page fits the screen, it's difficult to read, and when it's expanded it's difficult to manuever because of the slow speed.
  • I've used it.
    The response is slow, and it can be a pain scrolling down a page. When the page fits the screen, it's difficult to read, and when it's expanded it's difficult to manuever because of the slow speed.
    So it's about useless for anything more than checking email or reading a forum?
  • I think it took like 5 minutes to load the New York Times page. It's really painfully slow..
  • So, between the speed problems and the DS's crappy Wi-Fi reception it's simply not worth it?
  • It's a waste of money and time. Even the home brew browser are better..
  • I used the Japanese version which is probably exactly the same except for having to decode katakana on the settings. As mentioned it is slow and it's not really good for anything with images. Reading comics on it is a pain when panels are larger than the screen size, which is common. My main use for it was checking emails during the month I didn't have a computer, and then later checking emails while traveling since it was easier to lug the DS around then my laptop. I preferred to use it in one screen mode, where the page is displayed over the two screens. Two screen mode is only useful for pictures and stuff where you need to see the detail.

It's definitely a niche product, but I found it worth the 3500 yen, and was annoyed when I left it on the plane with all but one of my games.
  • edited April 2008
    DSMail is pretty good for mail on the DS, just make sure to get a decent sized memory card.
    Comic Book DS (site is down, links to a thread you can download it from tho), is pretty rocking, very nice stylus interaction for reading.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I use it for reading articles, forums, etc. If you completely deactivate all of the images, the text loads up relatively quickly.