This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your first video game

edited April 2008 in Video Games
So today out of the blue I decided to go and look for the English name of my very first video game. I didn't even know the name in Spanish so I went and try to look for pictures on the entire atari wiki list. It didn't took me a while to find out that my very first video game was Bobby is going home. Man, I had such a good time with that little game, it was hard as hell for the 5 year old me. But gave me countless hours if anger and happiness.
Here are two you tube videos of the game, the first one is hilarious the second one covers the first level of the game.
bI7wDGuTFno
oKm3JIv0iQ8
So, do you remember your first video game?

Comments

• My first one was ACTUALLY Space Invaders. I remember reading an article about Pong and trying to picture exactly how it was played.
  • Wow, I feel young. The first video game I remember playing was either NBA Jam Tournament Edition for the SNES or Six Golden Coins for the Game Boy.
  • The first game I ever owned was the Star Wars Episode IV game for the Game Boy. The first game I really remember playing was Super Mario World, but I know there were ones before that.
  • edited April 2008
    Crash Bandicoot 2 at a friends house, the level was one of the forwards polar bear ones. It is somewhat of a miracle that I play computer games, having been starved of then most of my life.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I think it was Combat for the 2600.
  • Pitfall.
  • My first video game was Super Mario Bros. after my sister got an NES for her 10th birthday from our uncle who also is her godfather.
  • Most probably it's Super Mario Brothers for me. And duck hunt.
  • Kinda hard, I only remember that I have had old nes as long as I remember. Might be that my sisters had it even before I was born, or then soon after that. My first game must have been something Super Mario Brothers, but I can't really tell because I had a bunch of games before I even knew.
  • edited April 2008
    Not sure. The first game I played for a system I actually owned was some shitty lego game for GBC. Prior to that, I think I played my cousins' genesis and SNES when I was like 5 or 6....I can't recall for sure, though.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Tennis or Golf for the Game Boy.
  • Bug Hunt or Flight Simulator II (can't remember which came first) for the Atari XE Game System
  • edited April 2008
    It had to be an Atari 2600 game, but I had and played so many of them growing up I honestly don't remember which one it would have been. It might have been Kaboom!, but I might just be thinking it because it was the one I played the most of.

EDIT: By the way, a quick search for Kaboom! brought up this old commercial. It must have aired when I was about 2 years old so I don't remember it, but that didn't stop it from giving me a very powerful wave of nostalgia. Hope it does the same for some others here as well.

Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • Super Mario Bros. on the NES.
  • The first one I remember playing is Cosmic Ark for the Atari 2600, but the first ones I owned were Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt and Astyanax, which I got with my NES.
  • It's sort of a tie between Mario Paint and Super Mario World since I got both of them in a bundle, and I honestly cannot remember which one I played first because I was 3 or 4 when I got the SNES.
  • Mine was this game where you pop balloons for windows 3.1/95. The first ones that I actually know the name of are wolfenstein 3d or commander keen. The first console game I played that I actually owned was ghost's n' goblins.
  • Super Mario brothers with duck hunt. Never beat the original super mario. 5 year old me couldn't figure out the last maze. I grew to loath that game.
  • Super Mario Land for the Game Boy was my first game.
  • Coin-op Asteroids at Chuck E. Cheese. I was 3 and there was a birthday party. I had no idea what the machine was.
  • My first video game was Lode Runner, on an Apple ][e.
  • Duck hunt when I was 3 years old...I hated that dog.
  • edited April 2008
    Combat for the Atari 2600.

image.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • Is the topic the very first video game you've "owned" or "played"?

The very first I owned was Combat for the Atari 2600. The very first I played was pong. Gee I feel old >.<
  • edited April 2008
    I barely, barely remember, but I'm pretty sure it was Tetris for the NES.

I remember playing it and not really understanding (I thought the blocks disappearing was bad).

It also could have been Duck Hunt or Mario Bros., but I don't remember playing either one of those.

I got a Nintendo 64 when I was quite young, so I remember playing Mario 64 and Pilot Wings a lot as well.
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • First game I ever played was Combat with my Dad, can't say I remember there being planes in it though...just the tanks, but I would've been like 5-7 at the time. About the same time frame I remember watching my uncle playing Wolfenstein 3D and thinking how amazing it was.
  • The first video game I ever played was Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt.
  • Burgertime for the ColecoVision was my first and I still play it from time to time
  • Galaga