This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii Fit

edited April 2008 in Video Games
Okay, so we got Wii Fit.

I've always been down on the Wii, not because of it's lacking hardware or because it's a "fad", which most people seem to be down on it for... but just because it lacks gamage! But my mum and her boyfriend got one for our house because we usually have my nephews and niece over and most of the time they're bored since the most interesting thing they can do here is play on a laptop, surfing youtube or something and often all 4 (soon 5) will be here.

I got to say though, Wii Fit made me kind of think the entire thing was worthwhile! Wii Sports was fun but I knew after the first day I'd never touch it again (until the young children come over) and I haven't gone out and gotten the "must have" wii games yet.

Wii Fit really pushes the whole "Get Fit" thing, shocking I know! But I never expected it to do it in a professional, yet fun, manner. Having not been exposed to Wii Fit hype at all (almost literally), I was pleased to see that it really seemed to have something for everyone, the fun games and for the people who actually want to lose weight, you might not get the same workout as you would being in a gym, pushing yourself constantly, but it's not far away and it's a hell of a lot more interesting. I used to go to the gym, a lot, and actually going was a whole "Urgh, I got to go to the gym... feh", but then Wii Fit I keep finding myself thinking "Gotta beat madre's high score on the ski jump!!".

It seems like they have two serious ones and two fun ones, although one of the fun ones (Aerobics) is pretty tough! It quickly made me realize how unfit I really am! In one of the Aerobic workouts I done, you had to step of the Fit Board (or whatever it's called) and put the wiimote in your pocket and run, using the gyro inside it can tell how fast you're moving your legs and you have to run a certain distance... well, my mum, her boyfriend and myself all done it, short distance (easy level) and at the end... we were pretty f'ed.

So far, I'm impressed. I'll be heading out to the states for 3 months this Wednesday, so I can't use it's training scheme to lose my 3lbs every 2 weeks (recommended), which I need (I've gotten podgy), but I'll have to buy one for my girlfriend in May when it comes out over there.

Comments

• but I'll have to buy one for my girlfriend in May when it comes out over there.
    You'd better hope she doesn't read that.
  • By the grace of Darwin she doesn't read this forum =P Plus she's already said she wants one.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2008
    Personally, I'm a little bit sketchy on the whole Wii Fit thing, I mean how is rocking on a plastic board that Nintendo calls a Wii Fit Board (or whatever) gonna get you in shape? Whatever happened to going jogging, or riding a bicycle for about a mile (or two), or swimming a couple laps at the local pool after a tough day at work?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • but I'll have to buy one for my girlfriend in May when it comes out over there.
    You'd better hope she doesn't read that.
    That all depends on if she reads the threads in this forum that he writes in.
  • That all depends on if she reads the threads in this forum that he writes in.
    What does that even mean?
  • Wii Fit has been a huge hit here in Germany.
    I was walking around the city yesterday and in one of the store fronts they had someone playing Wii Fit. About 40 people were standing around the store front, being really amazed. I think the Wii Fit is going to be THE reason for a lot of people here to buy a Wii.
  • Yeah, I'm considering the Wii fit, but I think I'll wait until later.
  • Wii Fit is on my "must buy" list. If for no other reason than I think it will be one of the only Wii games my wife will play.
  • Personally, I'm a little bit sketchy on the whole Wii Fit thing, I mean how is rocking on a plastic board that Nintendo calls a Wii Fit Board (or whatever) gonna get you in shape? Whatever happened to going jogging, or riding a bicycle for about a mile (or two), or swimming a couple laps at the local pool after a tough day at work?
    As Norvu said, it's funner and closer. Plus, there's no worries about weather or kids (other than your own) or tainted water.
  • edited May 2008
    I mean how is rocking on a plastic board that Nintendo calls a Wii Fit Board (or whatever) gonna get you in shape?
    A lot of people lost weight playing DDR. Mind you, I don't really know what is in all of Wii Fit, but it's possible that a game can help people lose weight.

I'll get this game soon enough. Right now my monies are going elsewhere.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • With getting Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy & Kart recently, I find myself able to wait for this and don't feel the itch to spend that sort of money. Plus I got burned getting Guitar Hero as I too haven't touched it in ages. Really don't want to spend the almost $100 for nothing. Maybe in time and if it gets much praise, but don't really see myself picking up a set soon.
  • Looks like Wii Fit is sold out (preorders) from both Amazon and Gamestop.

I tried to place a preorder today at Gamestop and was told they have no more. I walked over to Walmrt but there info says it will ship on (or after) May 21. I don't want to be one of those "on after" people waiting weeks for the game to arrive.
  • My father was thinking of getting it. Which is really ironic because he has a no console in the house rule, and I'm about to go to college.
  • Here in Austria I see them standing around everywhere. I think I might buy it in July, until then I think I'll have enough on my hands with GTAIV and Rock Band which comes out at the end of May.
  • My father was thinking of getting it. Which is really ironic because he has a no console in the house rule
    Ouch. Does that stretch to PC gaming also?
  • Mine just arrived this morning. I ordered it through walmart.com a few weeks back.
  • I'm going to try to lose some weight during the summer, and figured I would pick it up sometime soon. In the very least, I figure it's the best solution to track what I'm doing and if anything is helping.
  • When I was perusing the instruction manual for the balance board I think I read something about only being able to sync one balance board per Wii and 10 Wii-Remotes???

The one big suck thing about Wii Fit (so far) is that you can't get a second balance board and do the exercises as a group.

Both my wife and I are going to give Wii Fit a go and see how we do. We started out today and both of us are about 23.7 on the BMI. The crap thing is that I can't just get off and have her take over for her sets. Instead we have to log me out and log her in. I was hoping there would be some sort of "fast-switching" but if there is I have not yet found it. It's funny because in the commercials it shows a family of four playing together...
  • I just got it today at Walmart as an early birthday present. I am a bit under the weather, so I don't know how soon I'll be playing. I watched the free DVD you get at various stores and it looks pretty darn nifty. One thing that bugs me is that I feel the urge/need to purchase the additional accessories i.e., the yoga mat, rechargeable batteries, and silicone cover. I'll more than likely be purchasing the rechargeable battery pack a.s.a.p. because it's more cost efficient. Hopefully they will have the additional balance boards for purchase so my boyfriend and I can play together.
  • I just got it today at Walmart as an early birthday present. I am a bit under the weather, so I don't know how soon I'll be playing. I watched the free DVD you get at various stores and it looks pretty darn nifty. One thing that bugs me is that I feel the urge/need to purchase the additional accessories i.e., the yoga mat, rechargeable batteries, and silicone cover. I'll more than likely be purchasing the rechargeable battery pack a.s.a.p. because it's more cost efficient. Hopefully they will have the additional balance boards for purchase so my boyfriend and I can play together.
    Each Wii can only sync up to one balance board. Look in the balance board manual.
  • Each Wii can only sync up to one balance board. Look in the balance board manual.
    Oh. I misread what you wrote. That is pretty lame. :/
  • Each Wii can only sync up to one balance board. Look in the balance board manual.
    Oh. I misread what you wrote. That is pretty lame. :/
    Even more lame since that We Ski game allows you to use the balance board.
  • Stopped by GameStop today. Wii Fit still sold out. Some stores have waiting lists for it. Heard rumors of it fetching $600+ on eBay...
  • Stopped by GameStop today. Wii Fit still sold out. Some stores have waiting lists for it. Heard rumors of it fetching $600+ on eBay...
    Wow, why not run instead? I mean it looks fun, but is it really $600 fun?
    Wow, why not run instead? I mean it looks fun, but is it really $600 fun?
    Not to me it isn't!

Mine came in a day early so I opened it and started using it. If it had come in late on release day or a few days after I would have checked eBay before playing with it.

Wii Fit is the Brain Age of the Wii.
  • Has anyone else that has a Wii fit have this happen yet?

Both myself and my wife have created avatars for the "game". When you have multiple users, it asks if you are a friend of another user of the game (and gives the option of registering other Wii consoles that also has the game). After a week or so of using it, I logged in and before the daily log in of wight and balance it asked how my wife's posture was doing {better, worse, same, or haven't noticed}.

Buawh?

I got a little shock when it said I'm obese (technically I should be 200 according to the doctor instead of my 220, even though my "BMI" for my height is like 170) and it plumped up my character, but I get that it's a motivating factor and that it can only use a BMI to test for that. However, asking to snitch on others? Is this the CIA gym? Maybe it's just the difference between Japanese social ideal of helping each other verses the America ideals.

Thoughts?
  • I got a little shock when it said I'm obese (technically I should be 200 according to the doctor instead of my 220, even though my "BMI" for my height is like 170)
    Eh yeah, 220 pounds is Obese if you are about 6 feet or shorter. Unless you are one chunk of muscle. I myself am a tad too light, but I already know that, 18.something. 63-65 Kg at a height of 186+ cm.

And if your BMI is 170 you have to be 3 feet tall or something at that 220 pounds.
    Maybe it's just the difference between Japanese social ideal of helping each other verses the America ideals.
    I don't know either social ideals, but it's plausible.
    Thoughts?
    You're an American.
  • I mean how is rocking on a plastic board that Nintendo calls a Wii Fit Board (or whatever) gonna get you in shape?
    hell of a lot better than sitting and and twiddling your thumbs.

DDR for the Xbox or PS2 is probably a lot better for you.
  • Eh yeah,220 pounds is Obeseif you are about 6 feet or shorter.BMI is pretty much useless.
  • edited May 2008
    Eh yeah,220 pounds is Obeseif you are about 6 feet or shorter.
    BMI is pretty much useless.
    Word. BMI said I was "overweight" when I was 160 pounds with a six pack.
    Post edited by Funfetus on