This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080428 - The Big Three OSs

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the three viable desktop operating systems. In the news, Hans Reiser is found guilty of first-degree murder, and Lotus Notes not only still exists, but might be busting out.

Scott's Thing - The OGC is holding something
Rym's Thing - TypeRacer

Comments

• jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    OS/2, Solaris, and VMS? :) I suppose I'll just have to listen and find out... somehow.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • I can has episode?
  • They made us an episode, but they must have eated it.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm kinda upset about the Reiser case outcome. I've been following this case and I'm appalled. They had no body, their "evidence" was mostly circumstancial, and they had no eye witnesses except for his son who was obviously coerced and gave different answers every time. Whether he's actually guilty or not, there is no reason why this man should be in jail. I would love to hear the jurors reasons for deciding he is guilty.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • While the evidence they had pointed to Reiser, I can't say that it conclusively proved that there was a murder, or that he committed that murder. It's a sad ruling, not because I think Reiser's innocent, but because the justice system should not have found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence.
  • Sadly I think Scott is right and Reiser was tried guilty just because he didn't know when to shut up.
  • edited April 2008
    Reiser was tried guilty just because he didn't know when to shut up.
    Uh... the last time I checked, his testimony is evidence. And if it was clear that he was lying, then it's damning evidence.

He said gems such as this:
    "In a characteristic exchange under cross-examination, Reiser tried to explain why he'd removed and discarded the passenger seat from his two-seater Honda CRX after Nina vanished. His explanation: He'd been sleeping in the vehicle, and wanted the extra room. Asked why he hosed down the inside of the car, leaving an inch of water on the floorboard, he explained that the interior was dirty, and he mistakenly believed the water would drain out."

And they had evidence such as this:
    When police eventually located Hans Reiser's Honda CRX a few miles from his home, they found the interior waterlogged, the passenger seat missing, and two books on police murder investigations inside. They also found a sleeping-bag cover stained with a 6-inch wide blotch of Nina's dried blood.

Give me a break, people. If he was covering something up (which was obvious from his testimony), there can be no reasonable doubt that it was her murder.

If this guy was smart, he would have listened to his lawyer and NEVER taken the witness stand. So this shows you what you get when you take legal advice from geeks. (Note: It is the client's absolute right to testify. His lawyer can't prevent it.)

I love how smart people discard their common sense when it comes to criminal cases.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited April 2008
    If this guy was smart, he would have listened to his lawyer and NEVER taken the witness stand.
    I told defendants this so many times, it was sad. They never believe it. They always want to tell their story, no matter how stupid it is. They always think that, if they can just tell their stupid story, they can convince people of the inescapable conclusions of their logic. It never works out for them. I told many of them, "Yeah, your story might make sense to the guys in the jail. The problem is that the jury is not composed of twelve convicted felons."

I always asked to put on the record outside the jury's presence that I had explained the defendant's rights to him, including his right not to testify, but that he had elected to testify against my advice. If the judge was really good, he'd ask the defendant on the record whether that was true. After that, at least there wasn't anything the defendant could say later that I hadn't done for him.

Like this one guy who I kept from testifying. He had a terrible, terrible stupid illogical story that would have amounted to a confession. I told him that his story was a confession, but he didn't understand why. I explained and explained it to him. Finally, he agreed that he wouldn't testify. Then, when the judge who was hearing the case (it was a revocation hearing) revoked his probation, he yelled as he was being taken away, "I never should have listened to you! If I could have told the judge my side, he would let me go!" Then I had to deal with his ineffective assistance motions for about a year.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Reiser hung himself. If he would not have spoke he might have had a chance to walk away. The blood and waterlogged vehicle along with his explanations was indeed the end for him. Unfortunately he presented himself as the stereotype that has been depicted in movies and some people believe all "Geeks" to be, highly intelligent with no social skills or common sense. Geek or not, don't be clueless especially when facing prison time. He should have listened to his lawyer.
  • I have just realised that even in normal fonts you could use the phrase "I'm going to go OGC, bye".
  • Reiser was tried guilty just because he didn't know when to shut up.
    Give me a break, people. If he was covering something up (which was obvious from his testimony), there can be no reasonable doubt that it was her murder.
    But there is reasonable doubt present. It's there from a lack of forensic evidence tying him to the crime, if at all a crime took place. Yes, he had books on murder, but then again I have books about Hitler. Does that mean I'm trying to become a facist dictator?
    *Sigh* Although, if he did do it, He was pretty stupid about it. There were so many places he went wrong. He could have at least acted grieved. He shouldn't have abandoned his car. He should have burned the sleeping bag. He should have detailed the inside of his car instead of hitting it with a hose.

Although his statement about cars having a drainage hole was valid. My car has one. You gotta roll back the carpeting and then pull out the rubber stopper though.
  • This is a pretty serious thread, so I feel kinda silly bringing up something so trivial, but I just hit 110wpm on typeracer.
  • This is a pretty serious thread, so I feel kinda silly bringing up something so trivial, but I just hit 110wpm on typeracer.
    Grats. I can see you as #16.

I'm at 90wpm. The last one I did was pretty awesome. It was a line from "Snatch". It was hard not to laugh and giggle as I typed it.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm at 59wpm across 6 races. I must be slowing down as I age. I blame it on the Einstein passage.

Hey Rym, are you the one who just posted an impossible 220wpm score under the name "Hi Emily"?
    Post edited by RichLather on
  • edited April 2008
    Hmm. I think > 200wpm is "idiot savant" territory, though I may be wrong.
    I doubt that was Rym.

I wonder what kind of score I'd get if I used a keyboard macro on one that was likely to happen again ;)
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2008
    But there is reasonable doubt present. It's there from a lack of forensic evidence tying him to the crime
    Your problem is that you're looking at just one piece of the evidence. The judge tells the jury not to do this. When you look at all of the evidence, including his obvious attempt to cover up the truth, there is sufficient evidence for a jury to convict. I'm not saying that every jury would convict, but it was reasonable for this jury to do so.

Juries take this type of trial very seriously. The fact that they laughed at his testimony speaks volumes. Trust me, this guy must have been just awful.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • On a lighter note.
    Rym and Scott mentioned a possible future media link between their mac mni computer and TV. This got me thinking.
    I am presently using vista on an HP laptop. I am looking at possibly media linking it to my TV.
    I was wondering has anyone used a wireless media extender for a Windows PC? I am looking at Dlink media extenders, any other suggestions?
    What is the good, bad or ugly about using media extenders?
  • But there is reasonable doubt present. It's there from a lack of forensic evidence tying him to the crime, if at all a crime took place. Yes, he had books on murder, but then again I have books about Hitler. Does that mean I'm trying to become a facist dictator?
    It's nice to have skeptical people on the jury. The problem we have is that most people aren't as skeptical as we'd like.
  • edited April 2008
    Yeah, which is why I would never be allowed on a jury.

Scott was saying how if he installed Windows on the mac mini it would have to be media center edition. I would just like to point out that I've been using the open source project Media Portal on my living room pc for a long time now. It has a large selection of plugins and it works great on Windows XP.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
    edited April 2008
    This is a pretty serious thread, so I feel kinda silly bringing up something so trivial, but I just hit 110wpm on typeracer.
    56 first round, 79 second, haven't done a third race. It's laggy. I finish typing a word, and it doesn't go to the next word resulting in the just finished word to turn red! Because I'm already typing the next word! And the stupid moving sentence throws me off. If I read what I'm supposed to be typing I'm reading as if it's on paper, printed, NOT MOVING, GAH!

That and my poor keyboard is old resulting in my Shift keys sticking when capitalizing. *sob* Have still to listen to the ep, god the train was horrible today.
    Post edited by ... on
  • FYI: 200wpm would be one word done every.. cmon brain you can do this.. third of a second? (Woot, I was right.). Try typing "my name's Dave" in one second.
  • FYI: 200wpm would be one word done every.. cmon brain you can do this.. third of a second? (Woot, I was right.). Try typing "my name's Dave" in one second.
    Faster, 1/3rd of a second, fits 3 times in a second, 60 seconds/minute, thus that would be 180wpm. You'd be typing one word every .3 seconds if you type 200 wpm. And you'll type words like "to" and "is" in less than that. So it's possible to get high wpm's if you get a lot of short easy to type words.
  • edited April 2008
    My highest is 101wpm, but my average is about 90. Not fantastic, but enough that I won my races. Really fun things of the day today: I showed the OGC thing around to much laughter.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited April 2008
    Calculation error.
    200/60= 0.3
    60/200=0.3(recurring)
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Calculation error.
    200/60= 0.3
    60/200=0.3(recurring)
    Thought error:
    200/60 = 3.3(recurring)
    60/200 = 0.3
  • Yeah, which is why I would never be allowed on a jury.

Scott was saying how if he installed Windows on the mac mini it would have to be media center edition. I would just like to point out that I've been using the open source projectMedia Portalon my living room pc for a long time now. It has a large selection of plugins and it works great on Windows XP.
    What do you use for a remote?
    Can it handle Blu-ray?
  • It seems to be just me, but TypeRacer is not working on my home computer. Is it working for everybody else? I go to practice or compete, and the page pops up but the countdown never starts.
  • Calculation error.
    200/60= 0.3
    60/200=0.3(recurring)
    Thought error:
    200/60 = 3.3(recurring)
    60/200 = 0.3
    As you can see, I'm a bit out of practice.
  • Yeah, which is why I would never be allowed on a jury.

Scott was saying how if he installed Windows on the mac mini it would have to be media center edition. I would just like to point out that I've been using the open source projectMedia Portalon my living room pc for a long time now. It has a large selection of plugins and it works great on Windows XP.
    What do you use for a remote?
    Can it handle Blu-ray?
    Well, I use my PS2 remote with a ps2 to USB adapter. It appears as a game pad. I'm pretty sure you can use it with any USB remote though. As for blu-ray, I'm not sure.
  • The OGC reminds me of something from when I was in high school. It involves LAO. I put a picture of it in my profile if you guys want to see it.