This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080428 - The Big Three OSs

2»

Comments

• Scott, you mentioned that you might want to have XP installed on your computer. We were discussing this article in my Microsoft IT class. My teacher mentioned something about being able to install a legal copy of an earlier OS, that is still supported. If this is true and since since you got Vista Ultimate, you can probably install XP Media Center for free if you wanted to. Has anyone else heard of this before? or is my teacher crazy?
  • Man... I can't break 65 wpm... I blame the all-nighter at uni and too much Rockstar... I've got the shakes
  • I just got addicted to typeracer for about a half hour. On some of the trickier passages I dropped down into the 60s. On most passages I was somewhere between the mid '90s and the low 100s. I came in first place most of the time. People can't type for shit!
  • Highest I've achieved on Typeracer is 101, with my average sitting around 75. I was a bit upset when I finally hit that 101, though, because I thought I'd won for sure. Nope. Someone else got something like 110, when in my last ten races or so, no one had broken 92. T_T
  • People can't type for shit!
    "For shit." You, sirrah, are wrong.
  • Just got done listening to the episode and the one thing that stuck with me was the discussion on Lotus Notes. I work for a company that migrated the office in which I work to Lotus Notes from an Exchange/Outlook setup because the corporate office (which happens to be two states away) mandated it. Apparently they use Notes in the corporate location and decided they wanted our e-mail system to be one homogeneous entity. My personal opinion was that some bigwig manager in the IT department up at the home base got snowballed into buying a bunch of Domino servers back in the day and was finally called to be accountable for his action so they had to scramble and implement it company-wide. :)

Either way, everything that was said about Lotus Notes is true. It is a totally alien product to anyone who is used to an Outlook-based environment. I'll give it credit for being functional, but that's about all I'll give it.
  • I am sure I am not the first...considering how many times you have talked about Ubuntu - but I have switched. Currently transferring my files of my iPod and adding a few applications (a podcast downloading software for one thing.) This is running much faster than XP was on my old laptop.

• Either way, everything that was said about Lotus Notes is true. Itisa totally alien product to anyone who is used to an Outlook-based environment. I'll give it credit for being functional, but that's about all I'll give it.
    You do realize that Lotus Notes was released in 1989 and predates Outlook by many years? I would have to argue that Outlook is the alien simply because Lotus Notes came first and ruled the roost for years before Outlook showed up.