This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Theft Auto IV

edited April 2008 in Video Games
I'm playing it, it's great. Ragdoll physics + being drunk = the best thing ever.

So, who has the game, who's going to get the game at some point, and who will avoid it like the plaque?

Comments

• the plaque
    I think you mean plague. But plaque is much funnier XD
  • I'm going to get the 360 version later this week when finals are over.
  • I'm on Vice City for the PS2 right now, so how is gta4 (even though its really 6, not counting the psp ones) compared to Vice City?
  • I pre-ordered it for the X-box 360. I'm picking it up in the morning.
  • I have a PC. I'm playing GTA2. Fun game.
  • The original GTA1 and the expansion GTA:London are the only good ones. It's all downhill from there.
  • The original GTA1 and the expansion GTA:London are the only good ones. It's all downhill from there.
    Yes Mr McJaded
  • I'm going to pick up my special edition pre-order at lunch time. It's going to be a long work day :-(
  • Yes Mr McJaded
    I haven't played four, but three was pretty terribly not in any way fun after the first hour. I spent that hour roaming the city murdering people, creating traffic jams, and running cars into other cars. Once I'd gotten that out of my system, I found little else of value.

I used the "everybody is pissed off and has guns" code to get an extra twenty minutes of fun, pretending it was a post-apocalyptic zombie world and I was the last human. I holed up somewhere and tried to stay alive.
  • I've loved the last three GTA games (3, Vice City, and San Andreas,) and I can understand people not liking the game, because it is kind of a game where you make your own fun. I mean that it's up to you to follow the story, or just go around doing what you want.
  • Yes Mr McJaded
    I haven't played four, but three was pretty terribly not in any way fun after the first hour. I spent that hour roaming the city murdering people, creating traffic jams, and running cars into other cars. Once I'd gotten that out of my system, I found little else of value.
    Seconded. I rented San Andreas when I first got my XBox and found this to be completely true.
  • Yes Mr McJaded

I used the "everybody is pissed off and has guns" code to get an extra twenty minutes of fun, pretending it was a post-apocalyptic zombie world and I was the last human. I holed up somewhere and tried to stay alive.

So you haven't the story at all? I would call that a crime. The free roaming is more or less just the set-up that you get. There is so much more to do in any GTA than just go around, kill people and shoot cars off ramps.

Anyways, I bought the game yesterday and I find it very highly entertaining and enjoyable. So far I only got two points I don't like about the game aside from a few clipping issues I encountered:
    - The cutscenes need a pause button, but that is pretty much the case in every very narrative video game. But this is the first in a long time that I really pay much attention to them and it already happend like 3 times that I start a mission and in the cutscene some relative walks in and wants something or I get a call.
    - I don't understand a word of the Jamaicans' talk, but thats probably a personal problem with a lack of training.

For everything else, it's pretty much everything that I expected and more. Very detailed, a great storyline, maximum side entertainment, enjoyable crude parody humor (I found Republican Space Rangers the best so far). Just a great game and deserves all the praise it gets from the press.
  • edited April 2008
    Yes Mr McJaded

I would suggest just taking a car and parking somewhere, then just listening to the radio for an hour or so. Some of the shows are pretty funny.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • My brother bought it. I've personally only played some GTA on the PS2 3 years ago, but he called me out just now. Apparently you can watch TV in the game.

Personally, I don't think I'd watch it for actual entertainment, but I found entertainment in finding animation mistakes - the guys' eyes never moved, they screwed up a few bits on his crotch (they were flat, unlike the rest of his pants), and a few other lil things.
  • edited April 2008
    I like GTA3 & Vice City mostly for the radio stations. My fave being ChatterBox and VCPR, both of them are Hilarious talk radio stations. I have a good mind to buy an FM transmitter and broadcast those stations out here in meatspace.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • When I learned #3 was in first person and had no multiplayer, I lost interest in GTA. It felt like making 3D versions of Worms or Lemmings. Just pointless. If they released GTA2 on XBox Live I would be a very happy chappie.
  • When I learned #3 was in first person and had no multiplayer
    It's third person.
  • So you haven't the story at all?
    I played through a few hours of the story. To be honest, I found it completely non-engaging. The characters were flat and uninteresting. Worse, the missions were lame and uninspired.
  • Well the story in GTA3 is good, but it takes a while to get there. It's gotten better over the course of the games, and was really good in San Andreas since CJ was a really sympathetic, and great character. Now from playing IV I'm really liking how the story is developing so far with Niko. I'm looking forward to seeing how things are going to play out.
  • When I learned #3 was in first person and had no multiplayer
    It's third person.
    I think you can change the person. Also, there might've been a top-down camera mode.
    edited April 2008
    Yesterday when I came home my little brother overexcitedly told me he had GTA IV. I said "So?" to which he reacted annoyed. As if it's this great and wonderful game. Now I said I'd watch him playing it later that evening and did. Saw him open a car door, drag the driver out, step inside and drive away, not paying attention to traffic speeds, stop lights or any other laws that should be in the game. And he went to do the missions. Pick up a dude, cover said dude, kill some guys running away, your usual bad guy mob stuff. Later I checked in again and he picked up a woman, took her to a restaurant, took her home. Today I watched some more and he had some revenge mission to do. Now I'll have to say this. ALL OF THIS IS THE SAME IN GTA III! You have two options in GTA games, 1. Drive around doing absolutely nothing but killing people, which results in nothing but you killing people. If the cops catch you your either killed and you start playing in another dimension that's awfully similar, or 2. Do the missions, which results in some story, more specifically, the exact same fucking story that's been told every g-damn time before in these games. Just got in the city and instantly you go back to organized crime, killing mafia and all that shit.

The only difference between GTA IV and GTA III is that GTA IV has better visuals. THAT'S IT!
    I'm looking forward to seeing how things are going to play out.
    SPOILER! You'll eventually take over the city basically. At least, that's my prediction.

EDIT: Let me give some praise to the GTA games though, the radio shows. They are fucking annoying. And they're the best part of the game!
    Post edited by ... on
  • Is it just me or everybody who complains that this game is so similar to any other GTA actually complaining about the genre? It's an open world game about crime. Driving around and killing people is just what you do. It's still fun and enjoyable unless you go into it with the mindset that you are not going to enjoy it at all.
  • Is it just me or everybody who complains that this game is so similar to any other GTA actually complaining about the genre? It's an open world game about crime. Driving around and killing people is just what you do. It's still fun and enjoyable unless you go into it with the mindset that you are not going to enjoy it at all.
    I'm only partially complaining about the genre. I have played Mafia, great game, if you go over the speed limit and a cop sees you, he'll chase you, if you walk around with a gun in your hand, cops open fire, you can't do shit without getting hunted down. It also had a Free ride option where you just spend your time in the city of the game and could make some money by killing people and exploding stuff, boring after an hour. Free Ride extra was a bit more fun since you could do insanely hard missions with the reward of a new and crazy car (e.g. driving over a long bridge at low speeds in a crappy car that's about to fall apart and with explosions everywhere around you, the reward being a freaking awesome armored car spewing the blackest exhaust gasses I've ever seen in a game), though that too got boring after some while.

My problem with GTA is that the law sucks, out of every 10 people walking around one is carrying a gun, you can drive at insane speeds as long as you don't drive into anyone without being busted for speeding, you can run red lights with nothing but an angry claxon. The law is bullshit in the GTA series and the main goal of those games is to just run around and shoot people. GTA IV just isn't worth the price imho. I can buy a game for the same price, with the same graphic quality and actually be able to enjoy it.
  • I would much rather play open-ended games like Mafia and the Godfather, as the setting is better and their stories actually seem more interesting even though they are practically the same as GTA.
    edited April 2008
    The problem with open-ended games is that they grow boring and repetitive too fast due to the lack of challenging options for the player to do. Sure, you can try and collect those 100 super hidden tokens, but that grows to become a drag and annoy and has too little reward for the effort. Also those games lack any character in the open-ended parts of the game. Yeah, you'll have 200 characters walking on the sidewalks and driving cars, but nothing happens. In the case of The Godfather, you can rob banks, so why aren't other burglars robbing the banks? What about cops actively hunting down brothels and locking people in jail. What if you manage to kill hundreds upon hundreds of NPCs? Does the city advise its citizens to stay inside, away from this madman whilst every available law enforcement group gets send in to track you down and take you down? No. Look at Dwarf Fortress, you can become a legend there, why can't you read about yourself in the papers the next morning (in GTA, etc)? Open-ended is a great concept, do whatever you want, but there's barely anything to do!
    Post edited by ... on
  • I think the GTA gamers would not play the game if there were "real world" repercussions in the game.

What would be nice is if the online part of the game tracked the most brutal murderers and had a system in place where that console would place a bounty on the players head for some other player to collect. You would look on the bounty board and then be alerted when the other guy was playing his copy of GTA.

When they are playing you get to take on the role of one of the NPCs in the game and try to kill the player. Or you could just appear in the game as a special cop or something whose mission it is is to kill the guy.

Now that would be a bitchin' game!
  • Just my opinion but I think that the main reason why the elements that you guys want do not exist is due to coding problems. If I remember correctly game coders create programs that do everything in the game rather than code it themselves, more efficient and less space necessary overall being the main motivators for this. Following this line of thought makes me believe that either the size of the programs needed for the elements that you guys want are to large or do not exist yet due to their complexity.

Sure the application of real traffic laws, or real laws in general, would be cool but how hard would it be to make a program that could put it into place effectively? What about the bugs that would occur, such as police chasing you for actually going the speed limit or just over it? How about the possible size or complexity of such programs, would they even be able to fit on a DL DVD? If not would additional disks be required to play the game, if so then how many? Would it be economically feasible to even consider doing in the first place?

It all, honestly, comes down to the question of time and money. Eventually it may become possible for such programs to be made but not right now.
  • I think implementing all real laws wouldn't be a coding problem, but are intentionally left out. It would be rather annoying to have to stop on every red light or get your wanted level raised just because you hit a street light when you are already running from the police. Switching, even by accident, to a weapon on the street and already being chased would suck as well. I was already annoyed by myself because I accidentally mistook the run button with the button to fire a gun (the right trigger in a car is acceleration, on foot its to fire a gun while the A button (or X on the PS3) is to run) and I was promptly hunted by the cops for discharging a firearm.
  • edited May 2008
    I just picked up my pre-order, and I'm literaly putting the disk in the Tray on my 360 and It went RROD on me.
    I would quote verbatim my commentry on the matter, but I fear that the weapons-grade vocabulary used, I would be banned.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Last night, I was driving along, not aiming to cause trouble, just admiring the scenery, when I get a call from my cousin. He wants to go out and get drunk. I say yeah, and I plot a journey to his house on the car's GPS navigator. So I'm about halfway there, when I get a call from my girlfriend - she wants to go out. I haven't seen her for a few days, but the last date ended rather well (wink wink, nudge nudge), so I agree. But that leaves poor Roman out of calculations, so I call him back and cancel our boozy afternoon. He's cool with the change in plans, and we agree to meet again another time.

After another course correction, I'm driving past the waterfront, a reasonable distance from my best girl's house, when I spot an acquaintance on a bench near the side of the road. I decide to pull over and go see him. Turns out it's the friend of my arms-dealing Jamaican connection. He says something about some Russians, and I end up agreeing to take them down with him, for a reason I can't quite understand. We drive to an alleyway in a part of town the police don't visit often, and cautiously approach a half-dozen armed Russian mobsters. Between the two of us we make light work of them. The old Jamaican guy is apparently satisfied, and hands me $500. I then race off to visit my girlfriend, and we have a magical evening of... darts. Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard.