This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Egads on the PHP

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
I just ordered a newer server and started moving sites over to it. Just now I tried to upload an image and kept getting failure messages in WordPress.

I FTPed in to check the permissions on the directories and everything looked good. I was also able to upload via FTP just fine.

That was when I remembered something about the last server I got through this hosting company.

For some reason their default PHP install is lacking a few things in the php.ini file. One of those things is the declaration of the /tmp directory for PHP uploads!

After a quick bit of vi editing I set the /tmp directory and increased the size of my uploads to 20MB.

I'm just glad i caught this right away. I would have been in a bind if this problem cropped up while I was not in a position to SSH into the server.

Comments

• I'm just glad i caught this right away. I would have been in a bind if this problem cropped up while I was not in a position to SSH into the server.
    If you're not in a position to SSH into the server, something is seriously wrong.
  • I'm just glad i caught this right away. I would have been in a bind if this problem cropped up while I was not in a position to SSH into the server.
    If you're not in a position to SSH into the server, something is seriously wrong.
    If I'm at work I can't SSH because they block everything.
  • If I'm at work I can't SSH because they block everything.
    You need a laptop with some EV-DO.
  • Looks like I missed something. My forum is not sending out emails anymore.

Any idea which line in the php.ini file I forgot to change?

Can your server send e-mails? Use the mail command on the command line.

Can your server send e-mails? Use the mail command on the command line.
    I can send mail via my webmail system. All of the domains on the server have fully functioning email systems. Mail can be sent, received, downloaded, etc...

Hmmm.... I just registered on one of the blogs that I host and the registration email went through just fine. This might be a problem with the vbulletin software?
  • Hmmm.... I just registered on one of the blogs that I host and the registration email went through just fine. This might be a problem with the vbulletin software?
    Yeah, the e-mail configuration is probably not set correctly for it.
  • edited April 2008
    This is interesting.

I turned safe mode off in the php.ini file but when I check the settings It shows Safe Mode On for local and off for Master. Any ideas?

Registration confirmation emails are going out but the "notify me on new PM/posts" is not.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • This is interesting.

I turned safe mode off in the php.ini file but when I check the settings It shows Safe Mode On for local and off for Master. Any ideas?
    Applications can change ini files using ini_set. They can also be changed in .htaccess files and such.
  • I think I found something.

In the latest release they added an option to only send out notification emails once a day or so...
  • Still no luck on this one. One thing I do know is that forum can send email, it's just not sending the notification emails when threads are updated.

This new version of vbulletin kicks ass. There is all sorts of shit added in. I've just scratched the surface so far.
  • I never got why people would pay for fourms (VBulletin, IPB, Fussion BB) when there are good FOSS ones (Vanilla, Simple Machines).
  • I never got why people would pay for fourms (VBulletin, IPB, Fussion BB) when there are good FOSS ones (Vanilla, Simple Machines).
    Have you ever run a forum using vbulletin?
    Have you ever run a forum using vbulletin?
    I've used various VB boards. Can't say I'm overly impressed.
  • Have you ever run a forum using vbulletin?
    They're a cluttered mess like most forums.
  • Have you ever run a forum using vbulletin?
    They're a cluttered mess like most forums.
    From an admin stand point they are among the best I have ever used.