This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeknights Transcripts?

While listening to the older episodes, Rym and Scott often remarked that they could not remember if they did shows on certain topics. This got me thinking: Has anybody ever tried to transcribe Geeknights for easier searching?

Comments

• You're more than welcome to start.
  • Hey, I'm okay doing a bit of geeknights (like... only the news or something) but I can't promise accuracy.
  • Transcribing nearly an hour of talking, 4 nights a week is a pretty epic task.
  • if we can get three\four people to work on one day (one who does the news, one who does the totd, and one\two who do(es) the main bit) it is doable.

this means that we will need 12/16 people
  • Ummm, fuck that shit. Why would anyone need a full transcript of the show? This is why show notes exist, so they have a record of what shows they have done. Everything is already written down, there is no reason to do this. The only reason they can't remember is because they have done a shit ton of episodes and they don't want to dredge through old show notes to see if they have done certain topics. Transcripts aren't going to do shit.
  • Geeknights wiki!
  • If anything, maybe some kind of tag system could be implemented, where people could add relevant tags to the show notes for things that came up in the episode, but weren't part of the main topics.
  • edited April 2008
    Geeknights wiki!
    That exists already.

I also agree that a transcript is pretty useless.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited April 2008
    Transcribing nearly an hour of talking, 4 nights a week is a pretty epic task.
    Yeah, but transcribing five minutes is easy. I actually had this idea when I started listening to GN and worked my way through the archive. The easiest way to do this would be setting up a wiki for the transcribed episodes, figure out some general guidelines regarding nomenclature and start writing. The wiki should have a reservation system where you can lock an episode you're writing up so no-one will do the same stuff twice. The system should also auto release episodes that hav been locked for too long etc.

The final, most important, part would be Rym running all episodes through an automated script chopping them up into 5 minute chunks (which overlap for, say, 10 seconds on each end) and putting all that shit into a separate feed.

Since I actually have a life, I ended up only planning this and not setting up a wiki or anything. However, if someone has the testicular fortitude to set this up, I pledge at least one full episode of transcription.

I think the potential of somthing like this is immense. Searching for episode content wasn't even my primary concern when dreaming this up; I was thinking about the possibility for mash ups and completely automated episode generation (would require fairly accurate time stamp metadata in the transcriptions) from any written text.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • That's a wikipedia entry. I was thinking of an internal wiki.
  • That's a wikipedia entry. I was thinking of an internal wiki.
    Ooooh! That's cool.
  • edited April 2008
    Is it at all possible that a program like Dragon Naturally Speaking could help in making a transcript? Could such a transcript be searchable?

If so, then people could get the benefit of the show without spending the time to listen. You could just download the transcript and speedread/scan it. You could read six or seven shows in the time it takes to listen to one.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Is it at all possible that a program likeDragon Naturally Speakingcould help in making a transcript? Could such a transcript be searchable?
    I was thinking the same when I read the first post. Throwing it through Dragon Naturally Speaking would make it a piece of cake, then again, that program needs you to read control text out loud before it'll properly write out what you're saying. At least, that was the case when I saw it last time. Another problem might be the fact that there's two different people, with two different voices and speech patterns. Not to mention any guests.
  • An internal wiki might be cool. It could help new people understand our inside jokes.
  • edited April 2008
    Is it at all possible that a program likeDragon Naturally Speakingcould help in making a transcript?
    Now there's a technology that hasn't lived up to the hype. We've been promised good voice-to-text for years now.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • They can finally get some deaf listeners!
  • Great! Deaf listeners to add to the GeekNights readership!